Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Racial Profiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial Profiling?

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta/AP) — Speaking at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta — the church where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. preached — U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday that he will soon unveil long-planned Justice Department guidance aimed at ending racial profiling.http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...e-and-for-all/
    I'm not sure what is wrong profiling, based on race or other factors. Let me give you and example. There is a town near by that is 95% white, mostly wealthy. They began to have a lot of daylight break ins. The cops began patrolling these rural areas more - and they began stopping black men, sometimes three or four to a car or van. Often they were found with tools used for such break ins. The house robberies dropped significantly, but then the town was accused racial profiling. Yet the practice seemed to have worked.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Local Law Enforcement Officers will continue to do their job, which is to keep their community safe....no matter what some "idiot" in Washington says... All you have to do is go to any town/city in the US and ask if they profile on race, looks etc. and you will find they all do it. My son, (a white man) is really thin, and he chooses to wear a scraggly beard and really long hair. He looks like someone who would be on drugs. He tells me he gets stopped a lot by LEO's for "bogus" reasons...I tell him, shave and get a flat top and it will stop...LOL! He doesn't think it's funny...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

When I was in college many years ago we called this statistical analysis.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am not rich, but I live in a county that has a reputation for being one of the wealthier counties in the US. As a result, I am far more liable to get pulled over in most of the surrounding counties because we are seen as a cash cow. It does bring in the money but just being honest, I resent that. Is there an application here? I'm not sure.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Holder's new "guidelines" for the use of deadly force:

If the suspect is white, it's alright.
          If the suspect is brown, stand down.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            I'm not sure what is wrong profiling, based on race or other factors. Let me give you and example. There is a town near by that is 95% white, mostly wealthy. They began to have a lot of daylight break ins. The cops began patrolling these rural areas more - and they began stopping black men, sometimes three or four to a car or van. Often they were found with tools used for such break ins. The house robberies dropped significantly, but then the town was accused racial profiling. Yet the practice seemed to have worked.
            I'm not sure what is wrong with profiling, based on religion or other factors. Let me give you an example. There is a town nearby that is 95% Southern Baptist. They began to report a lot of child molestation incidents, but the children were too traumatized to say who did it. The cops began patrolling the other towns more, and they began stopping Catholics, sometimes three to four to a car or van. Often they were found with sex toys, tools that could be used for such sexual exploits, and pamphlets with titles like "The Joy of Children." The child molestation reports dropped significantly, but then the town was accused of religious profiling. Yet the practice of assuming that Catholics were likely to be the ones behind the crime seemed to have worked.

Catholics, furious that the police were engaging in such blatantly irrational and grossly insulting stereotypes, voiced their displeasure to the police department, saying that they felt dehumanized. Former officer Cow Poke dismissed their complaints, smugly chuckling "When I was in college many years ago we called this 'statistical analysis.'"
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
              I'm not sure what is wrong with profiling, based on religion or other factors. Let me give you an example. There is a town nearby that is 95% Southern Baptist. They began to report a lot of child molestation incidents, but the children were too traumatized to say who did it. The cops began patrolling the other towns more, and they began stopping Catholics, sometimes three to four to a car or van. Often they were found with sex toys, tools that could be used for such sexual exploits, and pamphlets with titles like "The Joy of Children." The child molestation reports dropped significantly, but then the town was accused of religious profiling. Yet the practice of assuming that Catholics were likely to be the ones behind the crime seemed to have worked.

Catholics, furious that the police were engaging in such blatantly irrational and grossly insulting stereotypes, voiced their displeasure to the police department, saying that they felt dehumanized. Former officer Cow Poke dismissed their complaints, smugly chuckling "When I was in college many years ago we called this 'statistical analysis.'"
              I think this is by far one of the most lame and bird-brained posts you have done.

I mean... profoundly stupid.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I think this is by far one of the most lame and bird-brained posts you have done.

I mean... profoundly stupid.
                Yes, seer's reasoning when applied to the hypothetical scenario in that post is indeed profoundly stupid. Glad that you now see by extension that racial profiling is also profoundly stupid.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Yes, seer's reasoning when applied to the hypothetical scenario in that post is indeed profoundly stupid.
                  Because only a MORON would try to force Seer's reasoning into a "Southern Baptists vs Catholics" scenario.

Glad that you now see by extension that racial profiling is also profoundly stupid.
                  What I SEE is that you are overdosing on those stupidity pills.

Comment

This is SUCH a profoundly STUPID post that I put it in the Screwballs thread as my FIRST EVER and ONLY submission there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      This is SUCH a profoundly STUPID post that I put it in the Screwballs thread as my FIRST EVER and ONLY submission there.
                      Well, I confess that I'm disappointed to find that you're the type of person who asks others to mock something from a debate rather than actually addressing it yourself.

Comment

Can you direct us to some sort of source for this incidence that happened between the Baptists and Catholics in a town near you? The whole thing sounds really really strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Can you direct us to some sort of source for this incidence that happened between the Baptists and Catholics in a town near you? The whole thing sounds really really strange.

Really? I thought it was obvious that I was satirizing seer's OP. Of course that didn't actually happen.

If nothing else, I thought the last part would've given it away as satire.

Comment

Well, I confess that I'm disappointed to find that you're the type of person who asks others to mock something from a debate rather than actually addressing it yourself.
                            It's way too stupid to address.

Comment

Really? I thought it was obvious that I was satirizing seer's OP. Of course that didn't actually happen.

If nothing else, I thought the last part would've given it away as satire.
                              Yeah, I didn't read seer's post until after I read yours. I gotta agree with CP, your analogy swap is terrible. Maybe don't do satire. It doesn't seem to be your strong point.

Comment