Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sanctions against Russia: Who are hurting? Who is benefitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanctions against Russia: Who are hurting? Who is benefitting?

The European Union is hurting much more than Russia. It has lost contracts to China, who seems to be the only major nation to benefit from the sanctions imposed on Russia for its Ukraine posture.

http://thecrux.com/you-might-not-bel...ons-on-russia/
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    The European Union is hurting much more than Russia.
    It is?

It has lost contracts to China, who seems to be the only major nation to benefit from the sanctions imposed on Russia for its Ukraine posture.
    The sanctions weren't imposed for economic benefit, they were imposed to punish Russia for its refusal to end the subjugation and plundering of Ukraine. And in this regard they've done a very good job. China will benefit, of course, at Russia's expense, as Russia now has fewer options. Falling oil prices in particular are going to hammer them hard. Your continued lobbying on behalf of tyrants is duly noted, of course.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      It is?
      I have no personal knowledge. I wonder if you did read the article linked to in the OP.

The sanctions weren't imposed for economic benefit, they were imposed to punish Russia for its refusal to end the subjugation and plundering of Ukraine. And in this regard they've done a very good job.
      Things are quiet now, but the sanctions are still on.

Falling oil prices in particular are going to hammer them hard.
      Unless the sanctions had something to do with that fall, that's an irrelevant point.

Your continued lobbying on behalf of tyrants is duly noted, of course.
      Huh? What led you to write that?
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I have no personal knowledge. I wonder if you did read the article linked to in the OP.
        The article doesn't actually explain how Europe is hurt more than Russia, nor does their source make that claim, so it's not really worth anything.

Things are quiet now, but the sanctions are still on.
        They're quiet because the separatists won with Russian support. So of course the sanctions should stay on until Russia withdraws its support and apologizes.

Unless the sanctions had something to do with that fall, that's an irrelevant point.
        Of course it's relevant, it means Russia's economy is getting hammered and they can't afford to play chicken with Europe.

Huh? What led you to write that?
        The propaganda in the OP.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          The article doesn't actually explain how Europe is hurt more than Russia, nor does their source make that claim, so it's not really worth anything.
          ? Apparently you don't count the evidence that the article provides. I wonder why.

Of course it's relevant, it means Russia's economy is getting hammered and they can't afford to play chicken with Europe.
          Putin is tough and has wide support. Let's see what the future brings up. For one thing, the price dip will probably turn out to be brief (several months). Putin knows that.

The propaganda in the OP.
          I know you're not a libertarian; anyway I wonder how you could make so wrong an inference.

Comment

? Apparently you don't count the evidence that the article provides. I wonder why.
            The article just lists things that hurt Europe. We already knew it would also hurt Europe, and just because it hurts Europe doesn't mean it doesn't hurt Russia more.

Putin is tough and has wide support. Let's see what the future brings up. For one thing, the price dip will probably turn out to be brief (several months). Putin knows that.
            Putin has wide support because Russians are insecure barbarians who will happily starve to feel important. Regardless, in the long run it just wasn't in Putin's interest to starve the Ukrainians so his oligarchs can make a few more millions. And it's gonna cost him and Russians.

I know you're not a libertarian; anyway I wonder how you could make so wrong an inference.
            There is no reason for a libertarian to support Putin. Not that I usually associate libertarian with "well informed".

Comment