Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Quebec man suing province over his Jewish education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec man suing province over his Jewish education

He attended a Jewish school where they believed it was a waste of time to study anything other than Jewish religion texts. As a result, he was left with no job skills other than teaching Aramaic.

This sort of thing is now a controversy in Quebec, with the government wanting to shut down such schools.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.629275

Without commenting on the actual merits of this lawsuit: I'm all for the rights of people to homeschool or go to religious schools but to me this sort of thing starts to fall more unto the category of people who claim to homeschool but really don't. (I knew one person who was "homeschooled" but taught nothing after third grade, and as a result had no future.) You need to at least teach the alphabet, for example.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    He attended a Jewish school where they believed it was a waste of time to study anything other than Jewish religion texts. As a result, he was left with no job skills other than teaching Aramaic.

This sort of thing is now a controversy in Quebec, with the government wanting to shut down such schools.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.629275

Without commenting on the actual merits of this lawsuit: I'm all for the rights of people to homeschool or go to religious schools but to me this sort of thing starts to fall more unto the category of people who claim to homeschool but really don't. (I knew one person who was "homeschooled" but taught nothing after third grade, and as a result had no future.) You need to at least teach the alphabet, for example.
    When we were homeschooling our kids, I took them to Sam Houston University's "teaching college" for testing just to know that we were "doing good". (well)

The students (who were studying to be teachers) LOVED the opportunity to interact with my daughters, and to administer the testing.

One of my daughters scored consistently "above grade" in ALL subjects all the time, and the other one only scored "below grade" in math.... she just never could "get" math, and I was unable to figure out why.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm all for the rights of people to homeschool or go to religious schools but to me this sort of thing starts to fall more unto the category of people who claim to homeschool but really don't.
      I've both homeschooled my own kids, and taught in a Christian School --- in both circles, there is disagreement on "testing". I was FULLY in favor of subjecting our students (and my children) to "minimum standards" testing, to prove (both to me and to them) that we were actually TEACHING, but some (many?) of the hardliners were adamantly opposed to it because they didn't think it was the government's business.

I could never understand that, since the vast majority of our students consistently scored "above grade".

Now, there will always be those who claim such schools "only accept the cream of the crop", but most of the Christian Schools I knew of had a special program for "those who failed in the conventional system", and took them on as a project, USUALLY with good results.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In Virginia, homeschooled children must still pass all of the state mandated Standards Of Learning tests in order to be awarded the state graduation diploma.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Top-rated comments are across-the-board harsh, from self-identified Jews and anti-Jews:

First, in the interest of equal time for our anti-semitic brothers:

Originally posted by Nadya
          First they force western governments to fund these schools, then they have multiple kids on welfare. And as if that wasn't enough milking of taxpayers, they turn around and sue for millions to get rich off the taxpayers back? Seriously? Did anyone refuse to let you attend a regular school? Perhaps you should sue your own parents!
          Originally posted by JR
          Jews, they sue you if you make them attend a real school and sue you if you don't.
          Hey now, at least this time the Ha'aretz crowd is just as unimpressed as you are:

Originally posted by BubbiGubbi
          where did he learn to claim welfare? Was it in his Torah studies?
          Originally posted by Shimon
          Apparently he didn't have any problem knowing how to make kids, so perhaps the education wasn't that bad after all! Obviously this guy has had time to live and learn, but has chosen not to.
          It's good to know there's a level of personal chutzpah that can unite them in condemnation.

Of course, there's one comment that indicates that a single-issue education useless for real life isn't limited to Aramaic studies:

Originally posted by Suzy
          it will happen in America as well if we keep allowing the Christian Right Wing Tea Bag morons to gain power over our secular society.
          Whether hateful, dismissive, or both, the comments by Jews and anti-Jews at least described both familiarity with and natural emotional reactions to the issues and individuals at hand. SJWs, on the other hand, add absolutely nothing to any discussions they jump into but tired references to a narrative that has no basis in reality.

Comment

This thread has nothing to do with SJWs. Please stay on topic.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              In Virginia, homeschooled children must still pass all of the state mandated Standards Of Learning tests in order to be awarded the state graduation diploma.
              And I'd be good with that! A Christian School or a Home School should be in the business of EXCEEDING standards.

Comment

I think the vast majority of Christian schools do this. There are a few weird ones out there (Scott Stapp grew up going to one where they did nothing but pray for hours and read the Bible but quickly got removed) but that just means parents need to do their homework.

Comment

I think the vast majority of Christian schools do this. There are a few weird ones out there (Scott Stapp grew up going to one where they did nothing but pray for hours and read the Bible but quickly got removed) but that just means parents need to do their homework.
                  I have a lot of experience with Home School groups -- one of them even meets in my Church every Monday for group activities and tutoring -- and the vast majority of them seem to use either A Beka or ACE curriculum.

In Texas, the last time I checked the Texas School Law Bulletin, the only requirement for a "private or parochial school' is that it "shall have as its curriculum good citizenship".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I have a lot of experience with Home School groups -- one of them even meets in my Church every Monday for group activities and tutoring -- and the vast majority of them seem to use either A Beka or ACE curriculum.

In Texas, the last time I checked the Texas School Law Bulletin, the only requirement for a "private or parochial school' is that it "shall have as its curriculum good citizenship".
                    I remember being Homeschooled in my earlier years (K till the start of Grade 2, we only stopped because it had become too expensive), and we used the ACE curriculum.
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                      I remember being Homeschooled in my earlier years (K till the start of Grade 2, we only stopped because it had become too expensive), and we used the ACE curriculum.
                      That's the one where you did "Paces", right? You set your own goals, and finished as many "paces" (units) at your own speed? It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that being the case, and I LOVED it because you could encourage students to set goals, then work to achieve them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That's the one where you did "Paces", right? You set your own goals, and finished as many "paces" (units) at your own speed? It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that being the case, and I LOVED it because you could encourage students to set goals, then work to achieve them.
                        I faintly remember being required to do "X in Math, Y in Science, Z in Bible, etc" during the week.
                        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I transplanted your post here, LJ....

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          CP, as someone who has been involved with the Home School movement, would you have a problem with requiring the same "testing" required by Public Schools?
                          In the OLD days, I would have been OK with this. But lately, it seems the testing is really screwed up... teachers spend the last part of the year "teaching to the test", where TAAS tests are administered. Teachers unions (who really run education) are AGAINST objective testing because they're afraid it's going to expose their "bad teachers", and they'll defend bad teachers to their death. Was it the "Iowa Basic Skills Test" we used to take years ago? I'd be fine with that.

It seems there should be an easy compromise that would be ok with both sides...
                          Yeah, an OBJECTIVE test that really shows where a student really is in their educational progress -- which is why I voluntarily subjected my kids to the testing at "the Teacher's College" at Sam Houston University. The students (who were learning to be teachers) LOVED interacting with my kids and practicing testing them.

Comment

This thread has nothing to do with SJWs. Please stay on topic.
                            Maybe not, but Epo DOES have a point. One tends to now that in these discussions, "Because Christian Right-Wing/Theocracy!!!" is usually just around the corner......
                            Last edited by OU812; 12-01-2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I know that for some attenders of Jewish Schools that schooling is over and above the public (or private) school work.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment