Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I saw this today, thought it was interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I don't see why I should be distracted by the ink you expelled in your hasty retreat.
    Hasty retreat?

and there's no ink here, Darthie.... unless you're printing all this out.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Except that context doesn't invalidate the first 4 verses (except maybe in your head). You're just reading your own feelings into it.

The concept of loving one's enemies predates Jesus within judaism anyway, so the "progressive revelation" claim is bunk.
      Jesus loves you, Darthie.... even when you're acting out.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Jesus loves you, Darthie.... even when you're acting out.
        Jesus loves you too CP, although...

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them."

I sense some reddened cheeks in your future.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Jesus loves you too CP, although...

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them."

I sense some reddened cheeks in your future.
          Gosh, DE, that's just some more of that goofy wishful thinking of yours.

When I was in college, we had an abortion doctor in town who was pretty hated by the Christian community.
          His wife attended our Church, and our Pastor decided to be a friend to Dr. M.

There were a lot of people who were brutally unkind to my Pastor for befriending this man, but after a couple years, Dr. M. accepted Christ as his Savior, and became a powerful anti-abortion advocate.

I'm SO glad my Pastor didn't subscribe to the Darth Executor School of Non-Evangelism.

Comment

I'm doing some more study on the imprecatory psalms through the ATLA database. They do seem to be repeated in the NT so perhaps I need to account for them more than I have... but one thing I do notice is that they are calls for God to do justice, whether through judicial systems or otherwise, so the fact that this goes through God does not establish that it is legitimate to personally hate others.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Gosh, DE, that's just some more of that goofy wishful thinking of yours.

When I was in college, we had an abortion doctor in town who was pretty hated by the Christian community.
              His wife attended our Church, and our Pastor decided to be a friend to Dr. M.

There were a lot of people who were brutally unkind to my Pastor for befriending this man, but after a couple years, Dr. M. accepted Christ as his Savior, and became a powerful anti-abortion advocate.

I'm SO glad my Pastor didn't subscribe to the Darth Executor School of Non-Evangelism.
              The guy who shot Tiller saved a lot more lives than your Pastor did. Not sure you necessarily want to compare results.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I'm doing some more study on the imprecatory psalms through the ATLA database. They do seem to be repeated in the NT so perhaps I need to account for them more than I have... but one thing I do notice is that they are calls for God to do justice, whether through judicial systems or otherwise, so the fact that this goes through God does not establish that it is legitimate to personally hate others.
                I have never advocated for anything other than the lawful execution of liberals.

Comment

The guy who shot Tiller saved a lot more lives than your Pastor did. Not sure you necessarily want to compare results.
                  Um... you can play that game if you want to, Darthie... I'm responsible for winning souls and making disciples. How bout you, Darthie? Do you do any of that?

(You can hide behind "credentialism" if you want to --- that's been used before!)

Comment

I think you're projecting here. You routinely shoot your mouth off then try to back away with lame jokes....
                    I have never advocated for anything other than the lawful execution of liberals.
                    Yup! You're projecting, alright!

Comment

Using DE's logic, he might have had Saul of Tarsus executed for being a bystander as Christians were killed.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Using DE's logic, he might have had Saul of Tarsus executed for being a bystander as Christians were killed.
                        OR at LEAST hated him really good!

Jesus loves DE, and I'm workin' on it.

Comment

Um... you can play that game if you want to, Darthie... I'm responsible for winning souls and making disciples. How bout you, Darthie? Do you do any of that?

(You can hide behind "credentialism" if you want to --- that's been used before!)
                          I don't take credit for God's work, no.

Comment

He was an accomplice, not just a bystander. I doubt Paul himself would argue that he did not deserve to be executed.

Comment

He was an accomplice, not just a bystander. I doubt Paul himself would argue that he did not deserve to be executed.
                              So would you have killed him yourself?

Comment

So would you have killed him yourself?
                                Knowing what I know today? Of course not. I'm not sure what that has to do with whether we should punish or execute bad people today.

Comment