Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Happened in the Mid 90's to Cause Crime to Plummet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering that NOT treating ADHD leads to serious changes in the brain and is linked with several types of severe dementia Ritalin is actually quite useful.
    I also think that not getting rambunctious kids under parental and social control is probably bad for their future mental health, but I wouldn't make it a policy to use drugs to accomplish the same purpose when you can look at options like not encouraging single motherhood, not declaring a general war against boys, and not letting the greedy and psychotic run the psych industry. Boys whom you drug because there's no father around to teach or beat them are not a solved problem, but a managerial culture tends to disdain any final solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      PM is stubborn and willful but not evil, as far as I can tell. Sadly, he is also British, and thus picks up nukeable public policy positions in his drinking water and daily media every day. It would be safer for his overall developmental health and happiness to breathe lead in a mining community, where he would at least learn loyalty and respect for workers without turning them into caricatures.
      I was born and currently live in the USA. I don't know why you think I'm British. Maybe you imagine me with a charming accent?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        I was born and currently live in the USA. I don't know why you think I'm British. Maybe you imagine me with a charming accent?
        It's been proven that people are more likely to believe a TV commercial if the actor speaks with a British accent.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          Considering that NOT treating ADHD leads to serious changes in the brain and is linked with several types of severe dementia Ritalin is actually quite useful. First know what your criticizing before you pull the trigger. And there are many effective ways to treat more violent mental illnesses linked with violent crimes. This is not the equivalent of turning people into drones. Its the equivalent of treating an illness.
          That said, overprescribing for fear of lawsuits is all too common, as opposed to alternative therapies of which the combination of medication and alternate therapies works the best for all or nearly all illnesses, physical and mental. Being too quick to judge isn't very smart.
          That is a puzzle. But perhaps you will allow people to say that:

1) Too many people are misdiagnosed.
          2) Too many people are given treatments that could be much better.
          3) While Ritalin may be the best treatment in a few cases, extreme care must be exercised while using it. Patients taking it must be closely and frequently monitored.

If you do not agree, you will please provide a long list of literature citations/references.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            That is a puzzle. But perhaps you will allow people to say that:

1) Too many people are misdiagnosed.
            2) Too many people are given treatments that could be much better.
            3) While Ritalin may be the best treatment in a few cases, extreme care must be exercised while using it. Patients taking it must be closely and frequently monitored.

If you do not agree, you will please provide a long list of literature citations/references.
            I think that is fair. The only thing I'm a bit reticent about is the bolded bit. Hard to quantify.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's been proven that people are more likely to believe a TV commercial if the actor speaks with a British accent.
              But everyone LOVES an Australian accent. Most loveable of all nations.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                I'll place my vote for the Kiwi accent. Sorry.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What's the difference? Same convict-speak, different kangaroo infested island.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                    I wish I had a nickel for every time somebody BADLY mangled an attempt to quote Paul Hogan's character....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or I get you mixed up with another leftist P.M.

Substitute "English" for "Pennsylvania coal mining" town in all previous posts, and please replace your avatar with something a bit more American so we can tell you two apart.

Comment