Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before any sort of political solution is considered, politicians need to stop taking orders from the NRA.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Before any sort of political solution is considered, politicians need to stop taking orders from the NRA.
      And you could just as easily say that before any sort of political solution is considered, politicians need to stop taking orders from the anti-gun nutters.

The problem is not the NRA or the anti-gun nutters.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        The mass hysterics of people against vehicles wouldn't see it that way though. The point I was making is that any facts you pout fourth as an argument against guns can be debunked by counter facts. Your argument is subjective and based on pure emotion (I say that because I've heard the arguments exhaustively from both sides).
        I hope you see I wasn't actually making an argument. So, you don't think the US has a problem with gun death?

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
          I hope you see I wasn't actually making an argument. So, you don't think the US has a problem with gun death?
          Sure it does, but it's part of an overall violent crime problem. The problem is crime not guns. Gun control won't stop overall crime as evidenced in places that have strict gun control, and in many cases, more guns actually equate to less crime.

Comment

Sure it does, but it's part of an overall violent crime problem. The problem is crime not guns. Gun control won't stop overall crime as evidenced in places that have strict gun control, and in many cases, more guns actually equate to less crime.
            I'm not saying it will. The US has one of the highest rates of incarceration per capita of any Western nation. Are you guys plagued with more violent criminals than us? What's your prescription for a way forward?

Comment

Many cultures all around the world, teach kids about guns and other weapons at a very young age by giving, especially boys, toy weapons or violent computer games. Kids are taught that the use of weapons and violence is pleasurable and there are no adverse consequences because people do not actually die when they are shot by a toy and dead computer game characters can be revived by a reset button. The immediate cause is accidental substitution of a weapon for a toy. If you keep weapons in the home this sort of accidental substitution is always a possibility.

The poor kid was just doing what he was taught to do.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Can you just imagine the mass hysteria over vehicles if MSM broadcasted each and every vehicular death in the US each day.
                Are you contending that each and every gun death gets reported by the MSM?

Comment

I'm not saying it will. The US has one of the highest rates of incarceration per capita of any Western nation. Are you guys plagued with more violent criminals than us? What's your prescription for a way forward?
                  The prison system is big money in the US. The prison system problem is a separate issue.

Comment

Quite true. But cars are designed to be used for lots of things and killing people is a tragic unintended consequence. I'm not sure you can say the same about handguns.
                    I keep a .22 loaded with rat shot to kill snakes around the barn, and a .357 for killing feral hogs and coyotes.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I've never been to Montana but I would guess that with such wide ownership, there is more of a culture of gun safety (unlike, say, the OP)?
                      If you went, wouldn't you double the population?
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

With the explosion of gun sales in the US (at least in part over concern that guns will be outlawed or heavily regulated) wouldn't you expect a correlating increase in gun violence?

Yet, Over the past 20 years, gun sales have increased exponentially, but homicides with firearms are down almost 40 percent during that time (nearly 50% since 1993) and “other crimes with firearms” are down nearly 70 percent.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A gun is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't think it's helpful to compare gun deaths in the US with gun deaths in other countries.

Opposing studies cite the same statistics, but for different reasons. And "gun ownership" is defined differently. For example, in Norway, military aged men are required to keep guns in their homes, but the guns are owned by the government. One study will cite this as a much lower incidence of gun ownership per capita, yet there are more guns in homes than many other countries - but those guns don't count because they're owned by the government. On the OTHER other hand, another study seems to accept the premise that there are more guns in Norway but lower gun death rates, then argues that we should adopt the gun laws of Norway.

Comment

here's an interesting pictoid I have left over from the last TWEB. I apologize but I don't remember where I found it. Notice that with Suicides and Murders combined, Denmark and France are both higher than the US, and Japan is close behind the US...what does that say? Japan has some of the strictest Gun Control laws AND Knife/Sword control Laws in the World IIRC.

gun ownership.jpg
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

What would be more helpful, I think, is to look at communities with strict gun laws as opposed to communities with high gun violence. Anybody wanna take a guess at how that plays out?

Comment