Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Coverage of Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Coverage of Ferguson

I think this commentary says it well.... (emphasis mine)

Source: CommentaryMagazine.com

There are many things that can be said about the decision by the grand jury not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson and the response to it, including John’s forceful and eloquent post. I would only add that much of the press coverage last night, and throughout this entire episode, was very discouraging.

This is one of those stories in which the liberal bias of supposedly “objective” reporters comes gushing out. This was particularly true of CNN. It was painful to watch reporters, with child-like melodrama, pretend they were part of a great civil-rights story. But 2014 isn’t 1965, and Ferguson, Missouri isn’t the Edmund Pettus Bridge. Reporters and commentators tried so hard to turn this story into something it never was: a racially-driven shooting of an innocent black teen by a white police officer.

© Copyright Original Source

The MSM seemed, from day one, anxious to portray this as a civil rights issue -- white cop shoots black kid. As much as some have vilified the "conservative media" for handling this, where was the truth?

As it turns out, Brown did IN FACT have a physical confrontation with Wilson while Wilson was still in his patrol vehicle. Brown had IN FACT just strong-arm robbed a store and bullied the clerk, and it appears that Wilson was INDEED aware of this from a report over the police radio. Wilson did NOT - as one poster insisted - "grab Brown and try to pull him into the patrol vehicle". That's just insane to even imagine.

So, in their attempt to "be part of the civil-rights story" (or for whatever other reason), the MSM set the stage for the outcome we're seeing now in Ferguson. As another editorial stated, "Wilson was not indicted, but the media was".

Darth may post here if he begins every post with "CP was right!" (kidding)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

There are two civil rights issues involved: racism among the police and excessive police force.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      There are two civil rights issues involved: racism among the police and excessive police force.
      Neither of which has been proven to the satisfaction of the Grand Jury who heard all the testimony and evaluated all the evidence. Next?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Neither of which has been proven to the satisfaction of the Grand Jury who heard all the testimony and evaluated all the evidence. Next?
        It isn't that simple. Racism among the police force had no direct link to the case, but it was important indirectly. Excessive police force is a problem because of what we as a country think is appropriate action. Just because an action is lawful doesn't mean it should be lawful.

Comment

It isn't that simple. Racism among the police force had no direct link to the case,
          Correct!

but it was important indirectly.
          Yes, because the media PREJUDGED Wilson to have acted due to racism.

Excessive police force is a problem because of what we as a country think is appropriate action.
          And the Grand Jury found no justification to charge him with excessive force.

Just because an action is lawful doesn't mean it should be lawful.
          Just because you post something doesn't mean it should be posted.

Comment

Even his name (Brown) fit the intended narrative for the main stream media.

But I am hesitant to take the entirety of Officer Wilson's story as gospel truth. His testimony was never subject to cross examination and some elements of his version of events are certainly coached and self-serving, eg, his repeated emphasis on Brown putting his hand to his wasteband as if he may have had a gun. This is to be expected as he is still facing the prospect of civil litigation. The media did not entirely fabricate the idea that Brown was surrendering. That was the early report of some eye-witnesses, 'though as is often the case, initial reports were conflicting:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/fer...ses/index.html

http://fox2now.com/2014/09/08/two-je...rown-shooting/

For those who have dug into the now public testimony, there is something I am wondering about. Some said there was a second cop (perhaps even a third?) on the scene at the time the final shots were fired, and who may have had his gun drawn but did not fire. Was that ever confirmed?

Also some have said that he never made an official statement about the events until after he had an opportunity to review the other accounts that the police had collected. Is that so?
            Last edited by robrecht; 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Yes, because the media PREJUDGED Wilson to have acted due to racism.
              No, the police perceived as especially antagonistic towards black people and this particular department had particular trouble with racism.

And the Grand Jury found no justification to charge him with excessive force.
              Okay, so let's ask ourselves as a country why we don't find what happened excessive force.

Just because you post something doesn't mean it should be posted.
              Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                Even his name (Brown) fit the intended narrative for the main stream media.

But I am hesitant to take the entirety of Officer Wilson's story as gospel truth. His testimony was never subject to cross examination and some elements of his version of events are certainly coached and self-serving, eg, his repeated emphasis on Brown putting his hand to his wasteband as if he may have had a gun. The media did not entirely fabricate the idea that Brown was surrendering. That was the early report of some eye-witnesses, 'though as is often the case, initial reports were conflicting:
                But that's the point -- eye witness testimony is known to be incredibly subjective. SOME (at least one) "witness" had Brown on his knees, Wilson standing over him, firing shots into his back "like an animal". That was obviously nowhere NEAR the truth.

Some of the "witnesses" admitted they never actually saw anything, but were reporting what they had been told.

It is the Grand Jury's job to compare the CONSISTENCY of each witness's story over time, and it's consistency with the facts in evidence.

I think one of the biggest tragedies of this (after a young man ending up dead) is the media breathlessly repeating the HEARSAY "testimony" of "witnesses" without doing any investigative journalism. They were hearing what they wanted to hear to fit their narrative. They had already concluded this was a "white cop shoots black kid" civil rights story, and they only reported things that fit their narrative.

Comment

No, the police perceived as especially antagonistic towards black people and this particular department had particular trouble with racism.
                  You really don't understand "prejudice", do you? ASSUMING what you say is true, it was therefore ASSUMED that Wilson acted accordingly. He was guilty before being proven justified.

Okay, so let's ask ourselves as a country why we don't find what happened excessive force.
                  Feel free to start a thread on that topic, but don't derail this one with that.

Comment

For those who have dug into the now public testimony, there is something I am wondering about. Some said there was a second cop (perhaps even a third?) on the scene at the time the final shots were fired, and who may have had his gun drawn but did not fire. Was that ever confirmed?

Also some have said that he never made an official statement about the events until after he had an opportunity to review the other accounts that the police had collected. Is that so?
                    I didn't comment on this part of your post, because I honestly don't know.

Comment

But that's the point -- eye witness testimony is known to be incredibly subjective. SOME (at least one) "witness" had Brown on his knees, Wilson standing over him, firing shots into his back "like an animal". That was obviously nowhere NEAR the truth.

Some of the "witnesses" admitted they never actually saw anything, but were reporting what they had been told.

It is the Grand Jury's job to compare the CONSISTENCY of each witness's story over time, and it's consistency with the facts in evidence.

I think one of the biggest tragedies of this (after a young man ending up dead) is the media breathlessly repeating the HEARSAY "testimony" of "witnesses" without doing any investigative journalism. They were hearing what they wanted to hear to fit their narrative. They had already concluded this was a "white cop shoots black kid" civil rights story, and they only reported things that fit their narrative.
                      I agree, but I would still be interested in answers to my questions from anyone who has dug into all the materials that have now been made public.
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I agree, but I would still be interested in answers to my questions from anyone who has dug into all the materials that have now been made public.

Comment

This is actually an interesting question, and while my official answer is still "I don't know", I'm wondering about the "official statement" part. I would imagine the police command knew of the significance of any "official statement" by Wilson, and the fact that "first thoughts" are often muddled and conflicted, as the taking of a human life is something most of us never experience.

In MOST departments (but I don't know about this one) after an "officer involved shooting", the officer's duty weapon is secured, and he is advised to consult with his attorney before making any statements. I would imagine that his command had him write down what happened, but didn't call that an "official statement" until it was reviewed by command staff. But, again, I don't really know.

Comment

You really don't understand "prejudice", do you? ASSUMING what you say is true, it was therefore ASSUMED that Wilson acted accordingly. He was guilty before being proven justified.
                            The racism issue has nothing to do with Wilson specifically and more to do with police/civilian relations, police response, a pattern of excessive force, and the discourse of his supporters.

Feel free to start a thread on that topic, but don't derail this one with that.
                            No derailment intended. You made a post about the claim that the Brown shooting wasn't about civil rights issues, and I'm arguing the contrary and only that.

Comment

The racism issue has nothing to do with Wilson specifically
                              Exactly!

and more to do with police/civilian relations, police response, a pattern of excessive force, and the discourse of his supporters.
                              So, go start a thread on that, and stop derailing this one.

No derailment intended. You made a post about the claim that the Brown shooting wasn't about civil rights issues, and I'm arguing the contrary and only that.
                              Perhaps you should reread the OP and the entire article I linked.

Comment