Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cops 25 times less likely to erroneously shoot unarmed black suspects, study finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    yeah....
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2878[/ATTACH]

You're gonna get us kicked out of this thread!
    I've been kicked outta better threads than this

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So you've seen my ritual for making a post
    yeah....
    post.JPG

You're gonna get us kicked out of this thread!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, you're MUCH better at that than I am! SO!?!?!?!?!
    So you've seen my ritual for making a post

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yeah, you're MUCH better at that than I am! SO!?!?!?!?!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Cow Poke is requested to hop on one leg while turning 3 times before posting in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Cow Poke is requested to hop on one leg while turning 3 times before posting in this thread.
    I have to call my doctor and ask if I'm healthy enough to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Cops 25 times less likely to erroneously shoot unarmed black suspects, study finds

http://www.policeone.com/use-of-forc...s-study-finds/

For example, a typical research method has involved subjects sitting before a computer and viewing flash pictures of black and white “suspects” paired with weapons or “neutral objects” such as wallets or cell phones. The subjects must respond to these images by pressing “shoot” or “don’t shoot” buttons. Racial bias is then inferred by whether participants are “consistently quicker to shoot armed suspects of a particular race” and by whether decision errors tend to be greater for one race than for the other.

This process lacks what James calls “external validity” — that is, it doesn’t come close to reflecting real-world circumstances, and thus its conclusions are of limited value. “[T]he complex process involved” in deciding to shoot or not shoot and then actually firing a gun is “dramatically different” from the simple reflex of pressing a button, she writes.

Her study involved a more sophisticated, “immersive” approach.

Enhanced Testing
    Along with civilians and military personnel who were tested independently, 36 patrol officers and deputies from the Spokane area, all of them white and most of them male, were selected as volunteer subjects for her research. They ranged in age from 31 to 43 and had at least five years on the job.

Armed with a Glock 21 modified to fire a laser beam, the officers one at a time were exposed to a series of at least 10 “highly realistic and arousing” scenarios in a high-definition deadly force judgment and decision-making simulator in WSU’s Simulated Hazardous Operational Tasks laboratory. The equipment permitted precise determination of shot placement and millisecond measurement of shot timing after a threat appeared.
    I've been making the argument that the justice system is skewed somewhat in favor of blacks for a while. That makes sense when you consider the devastating potential consequences of even legitimate self defense (see Zimmerman and Wilson).