Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ferguson Grand Jury...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    No doubt he was pressured from all quarters, but it's not as if he was physically forced.
    Are we agreed that he would not have done it except for pressure exerted on him?

In that case, you seem to be going for a legalistic view of the matter - to punish the one who broke the rules - but you do not at all seem to care about those others who attempted to pervert justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Are we agreed that he would not have done it except for pressure exerted on him?

In that case, you seem to be going for a legalistic view of the matter - to punish the one who broke the rules - but you do not at all seem to care about those others who attempted to pervert justice.
      This is probably the case. And I focus on him because his case is the one where I can see a concrete action being taken; most relevant people do not have any form of licensure that a government could initiate. You can't lock up rabblerouser journalists or bloggers, and all you can do to demagogue politicians is vote them out.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This is probably the case. And I focus on him because his case is the one where I can see a concrete action being taken
        Yes, yes, because it's possible to do something concrete all is solved. Justice prevails!

You can't lock up rabblerouser journalists or bloggers, and all you can do to demagogue politicians is vote them out.
        I'm pretty sure there isn't a dichotomy between non-government employees and elected government personnel.

What you're advocating for is merely a knee-jerk reaction that solves nothing. Assuming that you can kick out the one prosecutor all the pressuring elements still remain that will ensure further legal shenanigans.

Comment

• I don't think he should be disbarred because his actions were not deceptive in nature -- in other words, he wasn't trying to sway the jury his own set viewpoint, just declined to filter the B.S. out. One can argue about whether he needed a backbone, but he may have also been trying to avoid watching his community implode by making an attempt to appear as neutral as possible.

If anyone needs to be disbarred from their handling of a racially-sensitive case, it's Angela Corey.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• The whole thing was unnecessarily complicated and distorted because the media decided to make this all about a racial killing. It became a situation where it was nearly impossible to have a good outcome.

Had the facts been given more attention than the drama, there could likely have been a much different outcome.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I sympathize with the grief of Brown's parents
              I most certainly do not. Like Trayvon Martin's parents, the father was a gang member and the mother jumped on calling Benjamin Crump and licensing the slogan ("Justice for Trayvon" in the first case, "Hands up dont shoot in the second) as quickly as possible:

In a recent statement, Michael Brown’s mother asked that her son not be part of self-serving business or political actions as she pleaded that he be remembered for the good. A reported assault and theft this past weekend may dramatically underscore that sentiment.

It happened Saturday night, October 18th, at about 8:15 pm in the parking lot of Red’s BBQ. It`s the corner of Canfield and West Florissant, just blocks from where Michael Brown was shot and killed.

Police sources tell us Brown`s Grandmother, Pearlie Gordon, along with Brown`s Cousin Tony Petty, were selling t-shirts and other Michael Brown merchandise.

A police report describes a car pulling up and several people getting out. One of those people, was reported to be Michael Brown`s Mom, Lesley McSpadden. A witness described McSpadden yelling ‘You can`t sell this s%$&” One of the relatives, who was selling, reportedly demanded McSpadden show a document proving she had a patent.

The police report says that`s when an unidentified person with McSpadden assaulted Petty so violently that it resulted in a 911 call. A witness tells Fox 2 that the weapon was a metal pipe or pole. The suspect reportedly struck Petty in the face. Medics then took him to Christian Northeast Hospital. The witness said the assault suspect grabbed merchandise and a box of cash believed to contain about $1,400.

It appears surveillance cameras could have captured the fight and be part of police evidence. Police report no arrests at this time.

We reached out to the local Brown family attorney, Anthony D. Gray and he declined to comment.
              The families of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown are, in short, thoroughly despicable and opportunistic savages, much like the sons they raised. Shed no tears for them, keep physically and rhetorically well away from them, and do not count yourself among their sympathizers, as more innocents and not-so-innocents will undoubtedly be harmed by them and their kin in the coming days. When they are justly imprisoned and genuinely repentant for their lives of crime, you may minister to them all you wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                When they are justly imprisoned and genuinely repentant for their lives of crime, you may minister to them all you wish.
                Aren't the Hyper-Calvinists the ones who maintain that you cannot preach except to the previously penitent?
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Aren't the Hyper-Calvinists the ones who maintain that you cannot preach except to the previously penitent?
                  Oh, you can preach at them all you want. Y'all just better be ready to dodge some lead pipes if you mention some truth they might not yet be comfortable with.

Comment

• New York Times is reporting that Darren Wilson will not be facing federal Civil Rights charges: Justice Dept. to Recommend No Civil Rights Charges in Ferguson Shooting

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Should we expect a whole new round of riots?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment