Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cops shoot 12 year old kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops shoot 12 year old kid

http://online.wsj.com/articles/boy-w...ice-1416769649

(run article through google to avoid paywall).

Officers responded Saturday afternoon to a report that the boy was waving a gun and pointing it at people at a playground in Cleveland, according to police. When officers told the boy to raise his hands, police said he didn’t comply and reached to his waistband for the gun. Police fired and hit the boy in the torso.

The boy, who hasn’t been named, had an “airsoft” gun that resembled a semiautomatic pistol, according to police. The orange safety indicator had been scratched off the gun, police said.
    Alternate coverage:

Apparently the person who reported it said it was probably a toy but the 911 operator didn't pass on that information.

Naturally, the shouts of "racism" are near universal. One need only read the video comments to see an endless stream of idiotic liberal drivel.

Cow Poke is asked to stay out of this thread.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

It seems like you're the one trying to inject race into this. Considering the officer was black...
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It seems like you're the one trying to inject race into this. Considering the officer was black...
      Did you read the video comments? Also, where did you get the info that the officer was black?
      Last edited by Darth Executor; 11-24-2014, 10:28 PM.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Video available.
        http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local...ased/19530745/

Unfortunately it seems like it was shot by one of those surveillange cameras that just take frequent snapshots rather than a proper camera so it's extremely choppy. Officer's name is "Timothy Loehmann" and Loehmann doesn't sound like a black name to me, though it's hard to tell the race from the video (the one on the right appears to be white).

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Did you read the video comments? Also, where did you get the info that the officer was black?
          I can't find any MSM sources stating the race of the cop, probably a pretty sure sign that the cop was black.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I can't find any MSM sources stating the race of the cop, probably a pretty sure sign that the cop was black.
            Probably. We've heard almost nothing about this story, so it's a good bet that it doesn't fit the MSM's "America is racist" narrative.

From what I've read, the boy was repeatedly told to show his hands to the officers, but he chose instead to reach into his waistband for what appeared to be a gun. Unless the kid was deaf, I have no idea why he didn't just comply.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Probably. We've heard almost nothing about this story, so it's a good bet that it doesn't fit the MSM's "America is racist" narrative.

From what I've read, the boy was repeatedly told to show his hands to the officers, but he chose instead to reach into his waistband for what appeared to be a gun. Unless the kid was deaf, I have no idea why he didn't just comply.
              I don't think that's what happened. According to the video, the kid reached for the gun almost as soon as the car approached and they immediately shot him. I'm also suspicious what they said to him on approach. If they asked him to show his hands, it makes no sense to me that the kid reached for the gun. I'm guessing (and this is obviously pure speculation) that they may have asked if he had a gun or something similar which would explain why he reached for the gun. But with that aside, I would put the blame on both parties. The kid shouldn't have removed the orange indicator from the gun (though I doubt that would have mattered since he was shot as soon as he reached for it). The kid shouldn't have been pointing guns at people in public (regardless that it was toy gun). The police shouldn't have drove up so close to a person they suspected had a gun. I would think the procedure would be to drive up and stop at a distance and order commands to the suspect they think is armed but maybe I'm wrong.
              Last edited by seanD; 11-27-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                I don't think that's what happened. According to the video, the kid reached for the gun almost as soon as the car approached and they immediately shot him. I'm also suspicious what they said to him on approach. If they asked him to show his hands, it makes no sense to me that the kid reached for the gun. I'm guessing (and this is obviously pure speculation) that they may have asked if he had a gun or something similar which would explain why he reached for the gun. But with that aside, I would put the blame on both parties. The kid shouldn't have removed the orange indicator from the gun (though I doubt that would have mattered since he was shot as soon as he reached for it). The kid shouldn't have been pointing guns at people in public (regardless that it was toy gun). The police shouldn't have drove up so close to a person they suspected had a gun. I would think the procedure would be to drive up and stop at a distance and order commands to the suspect they think is armed but maybe I'm wrong.
                The orange tip wouldn't have mattered unless he already had it out when they approached (with the orange tip still on). Action usually being faster than reaction, shooting while they're reaching for the gun isn't so crazy. If you wait to see if he's going to point the gun at you or not (in other words, until he's pointing it at you)...then you've already lost the gunfight if he wants to kill you.

As far as driving up pretty close, it depends on the terrain and what kind of cover was available. It's a tactical problem, but without knowing more about the layout I can't say driving up was bad (if you drive up close, then you may be able to retreat and use your engine block for cover, or retrieve a long gun if the gunfight lasts long enough...not to mention post-contact support like first aid kits, cage for prisoner confinement nearby). Parking further out offers advantages (stealthier approach, possible better cover) but it has drawbacks (ever tried to detain non-compliant subject that's 60 yards away without shooting them? hint: they just run away and following safely is nearly impossible). It's a gamble.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment