Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hagel is down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagel is down

Bill Kristol, at least, is being magnanimous:

Originally posted by William Kristol
    So Chuck Hagel has been fired as defense secretary. We were critical of his appointment, and opposed his confirmation by the Senate. But let's be clear: Hagel has done what he was asked and what was expected of him at the Pentagon. To the degree he has deviated from the Obama White House line, he's been more right than wrong (e.g., on the threat the Islamic State poses).

So why has he been fired? Because the Obama White House needs a scapegoat. President George W, Bush fired Don Rumsfeld in connection with a change in strategy (the surge) and to bring in someone of independent stature. That's not the case today. President Obama continues to want a Pentagon with weak leadership and little independence. There's therefore no reason to expect the next two years of Obama foreign and defense policy to be any better than the past two.
    Place your bets on the replacement: woman, gay, minority, or all three?

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    Place your bets on the replacement: woman, gay, minority, or all three?
    Why does it matter?
    “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosRain View Post
      Why does it matter?
      I'd like to know that too. There's certainly no end of "First X Y!!!!!!!!" coming from the progressive camp.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

No love for Hagel but does anyone think that this was his idea to leave?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          I'd like to know that too. There's certainly no end of "First X Y!!!!!!!!" coming from the progressive camp.
          I can't help but feel as though this was a poke at me, but I can't say for sure.
          “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            No love for Hagel but does anyone think that this was his idea to leave?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He must have ticked off Valerie Jarrett one too many times.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                Bill Kristol, at least, is being magnanimous:
                Dana Milbank is not:
                When Barack Obama looks in the mirror these days, he must see a terrifying visage staring back at him: that of George W. Bush.

In a cruel echo of history, Obama is morphing into the president whose foreign policy he campaigned to overturn. Obama on Monday morning sacked his Pentagon secretary, Chuck Hagel, after huge midterm election losses in the sixth year of his presidency — just as Bush did in sacking Donald Rumsfeld after midterm losses in the sixth year of his presidency.
                And he's no conservative.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosRain View Post
                  I can't help but feel as though this was a poke at me, but I can't say for sure.
                  CP CR

Now you can be sure.

Comment