Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cosby was my Childhood Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosby was my Childhood Hero

First, let's not turn this into a racist rant --- there certainly may be racial components here, but let's keep it civil.

It's looking more and more like Cosby is yet another of my childhood idols with clay feet.

The man has done SO MUCH for kids like me (when I was a kid) and we have heralded him as "a voice of reason" in the black community, encouraging family and "fatherhood".

This really hurts.

Bill Cosby’s legacy, recast: Accusers speak in detail about sexual-assault allegations

I'm going to ask Darth and Epo to sit this one out, please.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

This makes me sick to my stomach to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      First, let's not turn this into a racist rant --- there certainly may be racial components here, but let's keep it civil.

It's looking more and more like Cosby is yet another of my childhood idols with clay feet.

The man has done SO MUCH for kids like me (when I was a kid) and we have heralded him as "a voice of reason" in the black community, encouraging family and "fatherhood".

This really hurts.

Bill Cosby’s legacy, recast: Accusers speak in detail about sexual-assault allegations

I'm going to ask Darth and Epo to sit this one out, please.
      I agree with you. Innocent until proven guilty BUT there seem to be so many plausible stories. I loved the man too. I'm not sure how race comes into it. He was a privileged and celebrated man. We tend to hold people like this in such high esteem that we too easily 'look the other way'. I think this is the take away lesson: Justice must be dispensed equally to all regardless of their status.

As an afterthought I really don't like the trend of settling 'claims' like this civilly with non-disclosure agreements. All allegations of a criminal act ought to be investigated.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any "admission" on Cosby's part, and I keep hoping there's something that will be revealed to... like this is a frameup or something, but I've seen him asked these questions on different news outlets, and he just looks sad and won't respond. I really don't know.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
          I agree with you. Innocent until proven guilty BUT there seem to be so many plausible stories. I loved the man too. I'm not sure how race comes into it. He was a privileged and celebrated man. We tend to hold people like this in such high esteem that we too easily 'look the other way'. I think this is the take away lesson: Justice must be dispensed equally to all regardless of their status.

As an afterthought I really don't like the trend of settling 'claims' like this civilly with non-disclosure agreements. All allegations of a criminal act ought to be investigated.
          As for the "racial" component... it seems several journalists "way back when" who knew of this were afraid to touch the story because they'd be accused of "attacking the black guy".

I used to laugh every time I watched Fat Albert, and heard Cosby's voice say, "And if you're not careful, you might LEARN something". I had all his albums, and used to love to recite his "Noah's Ark" parody.

Comment

I remember when the initial allegations were made a few decades ago. They determined then that there was no evidence to prove Cosby did any of it. Sorry, I just don't believe it.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I remember when the initial allegations were made a few decades ago. They determined then that there was no evidence to prove Cosby did any of it. Sorry, I just don't believe it.
              Problem is a few decades ago you didn't have the internet available to render judgement in a matter of minutes based on minimal facts and only one side of the story

I don't know if the allegations are true, I sincerely hope they are not, but I also think regardless of what the courts might prove, that many people will have already decided his guilt
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I *thought* there had been allegations before. Guess I'll just watch and see.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

A lot of what he did was pretty funny, and a lot of what he said was reasonable. Whether or not all these accusations are accurate.

Comment

Does anybody else remember him in "I Spy"?

Comment

I was too old to appreciate Cosby during my childhood, but he was a hero of my young adulthood. I will first of all admit my bias in his favor.

Nothing was charged at the time it happened as far as I know. Even the allegations made later showed no evidence. Why do this when there is nothing to be gained except to sully the man's image. If someone made such allegations about me I would be sad, but that is no reason to convict him. What really gets to me is the claim that he assaulted Rayven-Symone. She denied the fact. Why would someone lie about that and expect me to believe the other allegations.

He could be guilty, but how will we ever know for sure. All I know for sure is that his image has been dirtied - guilty or not.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It's possible, is it not, that his lawyer or lawyers told him to publically say nothing regarding the allegations?
                        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                          It's possible, is it not, that his lawyer or lawyers told him to publically say nothing regarding the allegations?
                          That's what I'm holding out hope for.... he allows himself to be asked that in interviews, then he doesn't respond at all. I don't get it, but, yeah, maybe there's something "legal" that prevents him from saying anything.

I just don't understand.

Comment

His lawyer responded for him at first. Then in his show in Melbourne, Florida the other night he called the accusations bunk http://www.aol.com/article/2014/11/2...6pLid%3D569227

I tend to think he's guilty (but I hope I'm wrong). These women just have too much to lose speaking out against a beloved public figure like this.
                            O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                              His lawyer responded for him at first. Then in his show in Melbourne, Florida the other night he called the accusations bunk http://www.aol.com/article/2014/11/2...6pLid%3D569227

I tend to think he's guilty (but I hope I'm wrong). These women just have too much to lose speaking out against a beloved public figure like this.
                              I haven't seen any evidence of them losing anything. They may be telling 100% of the truth...they may not be...there's no proof other than their word, but it seems to be accepted pretty much by everyone. So it doesn't seem like they have anything to worry about so far...
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment