Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Life in prison for rap lyrics?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Life in prison for rap lyrics?

    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...120-story.html

    A rapper who apparently has some gang ties, but isn't actually implicated in directly doing anything violent, is potentially facing life in prison based on his lyrics. He raps about the gang life, and apparently under the wording of a 2000 California law, he is profiting off of the criminal activity of others and thus just as guilty.

    This guy seems like a loser, but this prosecution seems to set a troublesome precedent. The movie Catch Me If You Can depicted real-life criminal activity and was filmed in the state of California, and made a good deal of money. Is that going to run afoul of this code?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  • #2
    It's BS, but nothing will be done. Bet you won't even hear a peep from Al Sharpton.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...120-story.html

      A rapper who apparently has some gang ties, but isn't actually implicated in directly doing anything violent, is potentially facing life in prison based on his lyrics. He raps about the gang life, and apparently under the wording of a 2000 California law, he is profiting off of the criminal activity of others and thus just as guilty.

      This guy seems like a loser, but this prosecution seems to set a troublesome precedent. The movie Catch Me If You Can depicted real-life criminal activity and was filmed in the state of California, and made a good deal of money. Is that going to run afoul of this code?
      Yeah, that is bizarre. It seems that this actually would constitute a violation of freedom of speech.

      Not to mention, over 90% of the hip-hop industry would be in trouble if this actually passed.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

      I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        Yeah, that is bizarre. It seems that this actually would constitute a violation of freedom of speech.

        Not to mention, over 90% of the hip-hop industry would be in trouble if this actually passed.
        I haven't actually seen the law in question but if it is as I've heard it being portrayed, I'd guess it was one of those aimed at preventing notorious criminals from getting rich off writing memoirs of their crimes.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

        Comment


        • #5
          Pretty clear constitutional violation unless there are some really specific things in the lyrics. Even then, almost certainly dismissed with prejudice. Not sure how the DA thinks this will look good on the record.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

          Comment


          • #6
            I doubt the Latinos who took over California spent as much time learning Constitutional law as, say, Barack Obama.

            But DIS WUT YOU GET when you throw in with Democrats and drive out the white people, dawg.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seanD View Post
              It's BS, but nothing will be done. Bet you won't even hear a peep from Al Sharpton.
              I would be happy NEVER hearing another peep from Al Sharpton.
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I would be happy NEVER hearing another peep from Al Sharpton.
                Race-baiting is more sensational and makes more money than government tyranny against free speech, so fat chance of that.
                "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                  I doubt the Latinos who took over California spent as much time learning Constitutional law as, say, Barack Obama.

                  But DIS WUT YOU GET when you throw in with Democrats and drive out the white people, dawg.
                  I'm pretty sure it's still the white liberals who are driving the bus of the cliff in Cali.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                    I doubt the Latinos who took over California spent as much time learning Constitutional law as, say, Barack Obama.

                    But DIS WUT YOU GET when you throw in with Democrats and drive out the white people, dawg.
                    If you treat the minority fairly now, they might remember to treat you fairly in about 40 years time.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      If you treat the minority fairly now, they might remember to treat you fairly in about 40 years time.
                      If they're willing to overwhelmingly destroy the life of a man who killed a minority in self defense while they're still minorities, there's no chance of that happening when they're the majority.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                      There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I'm pretty sure it's still the white liberals who are driving the bus of the cliff in Cali.
                        White California liberals are most assuredly not disinterested, nor do they benefit from disinterested and equal enforcement of the laws, but the white middle and working class most assuredly was, and it's them that have been driven out of the state by a confluence of black violence, illegal alien overcrowding, and the elite white mendacity that encouraged both. Expect the same in Ferguson.

                        I expect that the same Mexican gangs that drove the Bloods and Crips out of Compton will have little to no problem with seeing black rappers arrested for the violent content in ther albums. Laws mean nothing in an active war, declared or undeclared.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you treat the minority fairly now, they might remember to treat you fairly in about 40 years time.
                          Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were treated more than fairly from the womb to the tomb.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am not sure that all "rappers" don't belong in prison. The crime - abusing my ears.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                            Comment

                            Related Threads

                            Collapse

                            Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 07:17 PM
                            3 responses
                            28 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                            Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 04:39 PM
                            1 response
                            19 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Maranatha  
                            Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                            21 responses
                            109 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                            Started by Whateverman, 10-20-2020, 08:11 PM
                            4 responses
                            43 views
                            1 like
                            Last Post Bill the Cat  
                            Started by shunyadragon, 10-20-2020, 07:16 PM
                            28 responses
                            124 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Sparko
                            by Sparko
                             
                            Working...
                            X