Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Keystone Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Keystone Football

The Senate has NARROWLY rejected the Keystone Pipeline, and Mary was counting on it to boost her chances of winning in Louisiana.

Source: Politico

Sen. Mary Landrieu’s bid to pass a Keystone XL pipeline bill fell short by the slimmest of margins Tuesday, leaving the $8 billion pipeline still on the table for the ascendant Republican Party to push the project to President Barack Obama’s desk in January.

The 59-41 Senate vote was just shy of the 60 votes needed to pass the bill, following a dramatic six days of whipping by the embattled Louisiana Democrat on an issue that almost all of Washington had expected to sit idle until next year.

The defeat deals a blow to Landrieu’s campaign ahead of her Dec. 6 runoff against GOP Rep. Bill Cassidy, whom polls show running comfortably ahead. Winning on Keystone would have helped her demonstrate her clout on the Hill as a champion of her state’s influential oil and gas industry.

© Copyright Original Source

One of her stranger comments was....
    For her part, Landrieu didn’t point the finger at her fellow Democrats or the White House for the bill’s failure. “There’s no blame,” Landrieu told reporters. “There’s only joy in the fight.

Maybe she belongs on Tweb?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You'd think the Dems would be interested in helping to ensure they'd have one more voter on their side in the coming two years.

And the rationale for opposing it I've seen most recently is that we shouldn't encourage the extraction of oil from the tar sands of Canada. However, the extraction will happen regardless; China will be more than willing to gobble up the oil instead, and it's not like they have self-imposed emissions limitations to worry about.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The Senate has NARROWLY rejected the Keystone Pipeline, .....
        What’s the controversy about?

Tar sands oil is one of the dirtiest fuels on the Earth. Facilitating the exploitation of the tar sands will delay investments in clean and safe alternatives to oil, such as better fuel economy requirements, plug-in electric cars fuelled by solar power, and smart growth and public transportation infrastructure that give Americans choices other than cars. In order to avoid devastating effects on the climate from a global rise of 2 degrees Celsius, such as the melting of the Arctic ice, sea level rise, and more extreme tornados and hurricanes and more floods and heat waves, the International Energy Association says that up to two-thirds of known fossil reserves must remain untouched.”

http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-...ne-xl-pipeline

Poster “Web of Deceit” is worth quick scan.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Nice to see that both wishful and straight-up magical thinking is the rule at foe.org, as would be the case for any agency that doesn't use the term 'nuclear' when describing alternative power generation (nor added the word 'sensible' to 'clean' and 'safe'.) That paragraph was perfect marketing for anybody who has absolutely no idea how power generation works, as befits the Astroturf nature of the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
            Nice to see that both wishful and straight-up magical thinking is the rule at foe.org, as would be the case for any agency that doesn't use the term 'nuclear' when describing alternative power generation (nor added the word 'sensible' to 'clean' and 'safe'.) That paragraph was perfect marketing for anybody who has absolutely no idea how power generation works, as befits the Astroturf nature of the organization.
            Nuclear power generation is burdened by the need to handle and store dangerous materials for a very long time. It is that aspect that makes it look like a last resort strategy.
            http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ge-ponds-fears
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              What’s the controversy about?

Tar sands oil is one of the dirtiest fuels on the Earth. Facilitating the exploitation of the tar sands will delay investments in clean and safe alternatives to oil, such as better fuel economy requirements, plug-in electric cars fuelled by solar power, and smart growth and public transportation infrastructure that give Americans choices other than cars. In order to avoid devastating effects on the climate from a global rise of 2 degrees Celsius, such as the melting of the Arctic ice, sea level rise, and more extreme tornados and hurricanes and more floods and heat waves, the International Energy Association says that up to two-thirds of known fossil reserves must remain untouched.”

http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-...ne-xl-pipeline

Poster “Web of Deceit” is worth quick scan.
              Did my post fail to register? Oil will be extracted from the tar sands whether the US purchases it or not. All the Keystone pipeline would be facilitating would be reducing the energy costs associated with moving the extracted oil to the place where it is refined and consumed.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

They are NOT tar sands!
                They are oil sands, and they are as responsible as can be!

I am sick of idiots who don't know what they are talking about saying stupid things about the oil sands!

And it isn't as if the Keystone is the only, OR the first, pipeline to be proposed. Have any of you actually seen a diagram of all the pipelines already in place in your precious country? The Keystone is a very short piece of what is already in place!

And in the meantime, your dear Prez is so afraid of losing the so-called "environmental" support, that he will veto the thing even if it ever does get through the Senate.

AND, in the meantime, you all whine and complain about the OIL sands, but you all still get in your cars every day and fly away on holidays and heat your homes with natural gas, and have absolutely NO clue where that fuel comes from.

And the oil that would be sent through a pipeline in relative safety is now being trucked or sent by train instead, which is far more dangerous.

And yes, this is a sore spot for me, because the OIL sands are in my province, and every time some idiot celebrity opens their mouth about it or some "environmental" group opens their mouth about it, it affects every person who lives here.

AND, yes, we will be pleased to sell our oil to someone else, and you all can continue to rely on Middle Eastern oil, or South American oil, apparently not caring about the human rights problems or Terrorism issues.

OR, you can all grow some and lobby your representatives to get this thing passed!
                Last edited by mossrose; 11-20-2014, 09:29 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

*hides*

sigpic

Comment

To OBP (aka one good pig) and moss: Stop trying to confuse us with facts.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment