Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Idiots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiots!

What use is this? Will Muslims now offer their historic Mosques for Christian prayers?

WASHINGTON – Washington National Cathedral is hosting a Muslim prayer service for the first time.

Planners say they hope Friday's service at the historic cathedral will foster more understanding and acceptance between Christians and Muslims around the world.

The prominent Episcopal cathedral often hosts national events, such as presidential funerals, and has hosted Muslims at various interfaith services in the past. But planners say this is the first time the cathedral has invited Muslims to lead their own prayers there, which they call a "powerful symbolic gesture."

Planners say the prayer service developed after the cathedral's liturgical director met South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool while planning the national memorial service for Nelson Mandela.

In a statement, Rasool says, "This is a dramatic moment in the world and in Muslim-Christian relations."
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/14...r-in-powerful/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

This is what you get when you end up with liberal churches without principles that think one religion is as good or as true as another.

Comment

Comment

On the other hand, I have been complaining that there are no Muslims loudly proclaiming that the terrorists do not represent them --- some of the people at this event did, IN FACT, very CLEARLY denounce the terrorism, and made it clear they would speak out forcefully against it.

And, no, that doesn't mean I agree with the Nations Cathedral being used for their worship.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Read all about it. Idiotic Christians turn the other cheek! What would Jesus have thought?

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
            Read all about it. Idiotic Christians turn the other cheek! What would Jesus have thought?
            He threw the money changers out of the Temple -- so, yeah, He'd SURELY invite false teachers IN!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              He threw the money changers out of the Temple -- so, yeah, He'd SURELY invite false teachers IN!
              Sarcasm aside, that doesn't follow. Consider Matthew 21:13, which quotes Jesus as saying:
              “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a den of robbers.”

It thus appears that their sin was committing the equivalent of theft by exploiting the poor. They were thrown out for their exploitative actions, not for their beliefs. I see nothing in the report indicating that the Muslims are doing anything similar to that; hence, it's fallacious to reason on the basis of the temple cleansing incident that Jesus would cast out these Muslims from the cathedral.

Besides, I thought that the scriptural condemnations of false teachers were on the basis of manipulation and deliberate deceit, not merely for having different beliefs. In Matthew 7:16, Jesus says that false teachers will be identified by their fruits (their actions, in other words), while Jude 1:16 finishes its scathing judgment by characterizing them as "loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage." It seems that this, too, is fueled by righteous anger over manipulative and exploitative actions rather than different beliefs, and as I said, there's no indication that the Muslims in question are engaging in such behavior.
              Last edited by fm93; 11-14-2014, 08:48 PM.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                Sarcasm aside, that doesn't follow. Consider Matthew 21:13, which quotes Jesus as saying:
                “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a den of robbers.”

It thus appears that their sin was committing the equivalent of theft by exploiting the poor. They were thrown out for their exploitative actions, not for their beliefs. I see nothing in the report indicating that the Muslims are doing anything similar to that; hence, it's fallacious to reason on the basis of the temple cleansing incident that Jesus would cast out these Muslims from the cathedral.

Besides, I thought that the scriptural condemnations of false teachers were on the basis of manipulation and deliberate deceit, not merely for having different beliefs. In Matthew 7:16, Jesus says that false teachers will be identified by their fruit--their actions, in other words--while Jude 1:16 finishes its scathing judgment by characterizing them as "loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage." It seems that this, too, is fueled by righteous anger over manipulative and exploitative actions rather than different beliefs, and as I said, there's no indication that the Muslims in question are engaging in such behavior.
                The kindest words Jesus spoke were to the down-and-outters... the harshest words were to religious leaders. It just doesn't make any sense that Jesus would invite religious leaders into the Temple who did not follow his model of "I am the way, the truth and the life - NO man comes to the Father but by me".

Comment

I think the National Cathedral has shown over the years itself to be a place of political standing concerned with offering peace and spiritual guidance to all of any denomination/ persuasion more than an orthodox Christian location. It doesn't surprise me to be a place of inter-faith ecumenism as worldwide muslims propaganda is America as a bloodshed fundamentalist nation.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The kindest words Jesus spoke were to the down-and-outters... the harshest words were to religious leaders.
                    Yes, because of their actions--that's why specifically, Jesus lambasted the Pharisees for hypocrisy and devouring widows' houses.

It just doesn't make any sense that Jesus would invite religious leaders into the Temple who did not follow his model of "I am the way, the truth and the life - NO man comes to the Father but by me".
                    And Jesus presumably wanted people to come to him, so if he was in this cathedral, wouldn't he want the Muslims to come into the cathedral?

Additionally, there's the issue of whether Muslims follow the same God as Christians. If so, I see even less of a reason to disallow them.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

The kindest words Jesus spoke were to the down-and-outters... the harshest words were to religious leaders. It just doesn't make any sense that Jesus would invite religious leaders into the Temple who did not follow his model of "I am the way, the truth and the life - NO man comes to the Father but by me".

And besides, we KNOW that all Samaritans were evil. Jesus would never have crafted a parable praising such a person - Samaritans had wrong beliefs.

I'm always amazed that a religion that nominally deifies a character who exemplifies understanding, tolerance, forgiveness, and acceptance is so consistently, often virulently opposed to these qualities. Tolerance? Acceptance? Forgiveness? IDIOCY!

Comment

Additionally, there's the issue of whether Muslims follow the same God as Christians. If so, I see even less of a reason to disallow them.
                        Um...do you really believe this?
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                          And besides, we KNOW that all Samaritans were evil. Jesus would never have crafted a parable praising such a person - Samaritans had wrong beliefs.

I'm always amazed that a religion that nominally deifies a character who exemplifies understanding, tolerance, forgiveness, and acceptance is so consistently, often virulently opposed to these qualities. Tolerance? Acceptance? Forgiveness? IDIOCY!
                          What do you mean by "nominally deifies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Um...do you really believe this?
                            I have my doubts regarding extremist groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda, but yes, I believe that many Muslims do ultimately worship the same God as Christians. The existence of differing doctrinal points isn't enough by itself to claim otherwise, unless you want to insist that Calvinists and Arminians are ultimately worshiping a different god (although I don't think that's an absurd conclusion to draw).

Comment

I have my doubts regarding extremist groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda, but yes, I believe that many Muslims do ultimately worship the same God as Christians. The existence of differing doctrinal points isn't enough by itself to claim otherwise, unless you want to insist that Calvinists and Arminians are ultimately worshiping a different god (although I don't think that's an absurd conclusion to draw).
                              It's my understanding that Muslims deny the deity of Christ. That is a pretty significant doctrinal difference, no?

Comment