Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The new, gentler, inclusive and tolerant branch of the KKK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky Mountain Knights
    Must love Rocky Mountain Oysters to join.

But srsly, it's a kind of open joke that the Klan has been 50% FBI agents and 50% SPLC 'infiltrators' for a long while.

While we're on the subject of The Onion, who wants to take outside bets on the chances that they would write an article entitled "Ferguson Shatters No Stereotypes"?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      The Democrats weren't liberal by the standards of the time or of our time. No matter which way you look at it, Mountain Man's statement is factually incorrect.
      So you're trying to say that the Democrats who started the KKK were really Republicans?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I have doubts as to how accurate projecting current political labels onto past generations is going to be. With different sets of pressing issues, it's going to end up being anachronistic.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Please explain the harsh political change in the Solid South in the 60s.
          There wasn't one. The only times it's gone entirely Republican were '64, '72, '80, '84, and since '00, when all the old racist Democrats had died out. And three of those ('72, '80, and '84) were elections where the Republican candidate won more than 45 states because he ran on a strong anti-Communist platform and the Democratic candidate ran on an anti-war platform (not even getting into the debacle that was Carter's presidency). Contrary to the liberal myth, there were other issues important to the American populace besides civil rights.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I have doubts as to how accurate projecting current political labels onto past generations is going to be. With different sets of pressing issues, it's going to end up being anachronistic.
            Well, except for the fact that Democrats fought racial equality all the way up through the Civil Rights protests of the 1960s and continue to promote racist and ultimately oppressive policies like affirmative action and other forms of "social justice" (which are anything but just), so apparently that apple didn't fall far from its tree.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Well, except for the fact that Democrats fought racial equality all the way up through the Civil Rights protests of the 1960s and continue to promote racist and ultimately oppressive policies like affirmative action and other forms of "social justice" (which are anything but just), so apparently that apple didn't fall far from its tree.
              Amazing I agree with you both here. ???
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                So you're trying to say that the Democrats who started the KKK were really Republicans?
                The argument that "the KKK is not ultra right wing because they were started by Democrats" is factually incorrect because it depends upon the Democratic Party not being right wing. Historically, the Democratic Party was not always left wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
                  There wasn't one. The only times it's gone entirely Republican were '64, '72, '80, '84, and since '00, when all the old racist Democrats had died out. And three of those ('72, '80, and '84) were elections where the Republican candidate won more than 45 states because he ran on a strong anti-Communist platform and the Democratic candidate ran on an anti-war platform (not even getting into the debacle that was Carter's presidency). Contrary to the liberal myth, there were other issues important to the American populace besides civil rights.
                  Discounting WV, the South voted straight Democrat 13 times between 1876 and 1948. Since 1968, the majority of southern states have voted Republican with the sole exception of Carter's election. The Solid South originates from the North/South Democrat shift prior to the Civil War. The Republicans had control of the North and Democrats the South when Northern Democrats switched over. In the 60s, a we got historically liberal and conservative areas switch. This was not because a single generation of extremists died out. It was because of a major ideological shift within the parties.

Comment

Discounting WV, the South voted straight Democrat 13 times between 1876 and 1948. Since 1968, the majority of southern states have voted Republican with the sole exception of Carter's election. The Solid South originates from the North/South Democrat shift prior to the Civil War. The Republicans had control of the North and Democrats the South when Northern Democrats switched over. In the 60s, a we got historically liberal and conservative areas switch. This was not because a single generation of extremists died out. It was because of a major ideological shift within the parties.
                    There was no major ideological shift within the republican party, just the Democratic party, which went full retard in the other direction.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      There was no major ideological shift within the republican party, just the Democratic party, which went full retard in the other direction.
                      I just put PM back on ignore, so I can only see his quotes, which is what I'm answering.

The majority of the South went Independent in 1968 (you don't get to move the cutoff date up four years just because it's convenient), and then it was split evenly in '92 and '96 and was majority Blue in '76. And again, '72, '80, and '84 were years the Republican candidate carried 47+ states because the Dems weren't tough enough against the Soviets. Communism was a much more pressing issue to the American public than was civil rights.

Comment