Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sex Change? Oops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoetker
    replied
    a decision supported by health professionals and his mother
    A fine argument for disempowering both in public life.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    The cases are not entirely clear cut along those lines. There are some that are born with birth defects, or genetic errors that means that their body develops in gender ambigious ways, in those cases I tentatively support surgery if it can help the person live fully as the gender most likely deemed to be theirs. These make up a minority of those who go through sexual reassignment surgeries.

On a traditional catholic forum we have a member who was born with a gender ambigious body owing to genetic disorders. She was allowed to make a transition socially to live as a female, which is a move I support in her specific case. Of course owing to uncertainty she accepts that she can't become married, as that would constitute both scandale, she isn't fertile and there's not a settled moral certainty within the Vatican as for how these cases should be treated.

However that's miles away from a nineteen year old, or a thirty five year old who basically has an fully functioning male body, and has shown absolutely no sign of gender identity disorder until then, that decides that they want to experiment with their gender. That person needs therapy, or perhaps a very kinky and understand wife.

Its impossible to change a man into a woman, or a woman into a man, even in principle.

I agree that now people are rushing out to submit young boys (and even girls) to hormone regimes and surgeries in an extremely improper way. Not much good can come of this.
    Agreed...

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    The point is, why don't we deal with the psychology rather than cutting the body up? I mean with other problems like anorexia, depression, criminal behavior, compulsive behavior, addiction etc... we try and deal with the psychology - change the psychology. I wonder how many other young people will deeply regret this decision later in life - when there is no way back.
    The cases are not entirely clear cut along those lines. There are some that are born with birth defects, or genetic errors that means that their body develops in gender ambigious ways, in those cases I tentatively support surgery if it can help the person live fully as the gender most likely deemed to be theirs. These make up a minority of those who go through sexual reassignment surgeries.

On a traditional catholic forum we have a member who was born with a gender ambigious body owing to genetic disorders. She was allowed to make a transition socially to live as a female, which is a move I support in her specific case. Of course owing to uncertainty she accepts that she can't become married, as that would constitute both scandale, she isn't fertile and there's not a settled moral certainty within the Vatican as for how these cases should be treated.

However that's miles away from a nineteen year old, or a thirty five year old who basically has an fully functioning male body, and has shown absolutely no sign of gender identity disorder until then, that decides that they want to experiment with their gender. That person needs therapy, or perhaps a very kinky and understand wife.

Its impossible to change a man into a woman, or a woman into a man, even in principle.

I agree that now people are rushing out to submit young boys (and even girls) to hormone regimes and surgeries in an extremely improper way. Not much good can come of this.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 11-12-2014, 05:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    The point is, why don't we deal with the psychology rather than cutting the body up? I mean with other problems like anorexia, depression, criminal behavior, compulsive behavior, addiction etc... we try and deal with the psychology - change the psychology. I wonder how many other young people will deeply regret this decision later in life - when there is no way back.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    I thought gender re-assignment on adolescents was restricted for precisely this reason.

Liberals must have done it.
    The problem is PMan, you're getting more and more cases where people are pushing for it to be considered for younger and younger kids. Like the recent one where parent won the right to prevent their child from undergoing puberty so that the child could end up undergoing a gender change, while not yet even an adolescent.

And while a fair few folk reacted with a "you gotta be kidding me" a lot of liberal folk celebrated the parent's actions. (especially the same folk who got upset for us referring to Prince George as a boy and imposing a gender on him)

ETA: I know you were being tongue-in-cheek but it is an increasing problem
    Last edited by Raphael; 11-11-2014, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
    People need to be sensitive and compassionate about this, it's been going on since the beginning of time...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2609[/ATTACH]
    I am sorry for this kids pathology. I sure do not hate him, I pity him.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I thought gender re-assignment on adolescents was restricted for precisely this reason.

See, we can take your sarcasm. Did not hurt me at all. I still think this kid suffered, and still suffers from psychological pathology. I believe that homosexuality is pathological in spite of biased opposition.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I wait for some of our ignorant folks here to make comment on this. " . . . I was never a woman."
    People need to be sensitive and compassionate about this, it's been going on since the beginning of time...

pebbles.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

There ya go, always blaming liberals!

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    A tragedy, I hope and pray for as good a recovery as he can get.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I wait for some of our ignorant folks here to make comment on this. " . . . I was never a woman."

Leave a comment:

• seer
    started a topic Sex Change? Oops!

Sex Change? Oops!

I feel sorry for this guys, falling for this sexual mutilation.

Alan Finch's decision at 19 to become a woman - a decision supported by health professionals and his mother - took him on a journey from which he has discovered there is no sure way back.

Mr Finch has spoken to ABC TV's Australian Story in the hope that people considering gender reassignment surgery will think fully about the procedure and then proceed very, very carefully.

As an adolescent, Mr Finch thought he might have been gay. Then he thought, maybe not. Maybe he was "trapped" in the wrong body.

In his 20s he had his penis and scrotum removed and a false vagina fashioned from the penile skin and inserted into his body, and he became Helen.

Alan Finch's change from adolescent male to Helen.

He married illegally and was later in another relationship that fell apart when his male partner discovered Helen had been born male. Then he had a relationship with a woman, who encouraged him to become a man again.

"I knew with my whole being that was what I wanted to do," Mr Finch, 36, of Melbourne, says.

About five years ago, he began taking male hormones, something he says was "a roller-coaster ride emotionally". He was angry at himself for having been so gullible that he was sucked into the fantasy that becoming a woman would solve his identity crisis.

Like about 10 per cent of people in Australia who have the operation (about 80 a year in Sydney, Melbourne and on the Gold Coast), he was unhappy with the result.

Australian Transgender Support Association president Gina Mather said there were between 48,000 and 50,000 transsexuals, most of them male to female, in Australia. Not all had had surgery.

Mr Finch said: "Anatomically, I was never a woman. (The surgery) was creating a battleground within my own body. It's just rearranging flesh, but the tissue that's used is still male tissue. I was never able to have any orgasm or sexual pleasure. Everything was fake about it, from top to toe."
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...194758846.html