Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hand Him Over To The Taliban...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Him Over To The Taliban...

Last night while celebrating the Marine Corps birthday I sat at a table with three Iwo Jima survivors. One who was seriously wounded. And I can not tell you how angry this makes me. I literally would hand this ungrateful ass over to the Taliban or ISIS if I had the chance.

Put a man in uniform, preferably a white man, give him a gun, and Americans will worship him. It is a particularly childish trait, of a childlike culture, that insists on anointing all active military members and police officers as “heroes.” The rhetorical sloppiness and intellectual shallowness of affixing such a reverent label to everyone in the military or law enforcement betrays a frightening cultural streak of nationalism, chauvinism, authoritarianism and totalitarianism, but it also makes honest and serious conversations necessary for the maintenance and enhancement of a fragile democracy nearly impossible....

...It is equally challenging for anyone reasonable, and not drowning in the syrup of patriotic sentimentality, to stop saluting, and look at the servicemen of the American military with criticism and skepticism.
    http://www.salon.com/2014/11/09/you_...eal_democracy/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I literally would hand this ungrateful ass over to the Taliban or ISIS if I had the chance.
    Is that the streak of sarcasm you like to use? You're starting to become really unpleasant.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 11-11-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

That being said troops should rightfully be honored for what they did, and should be shown respect for having done their part to serve their country. In my country soldiers are almost completely neglected, which is a shame. And of course respect and honor doesn't mean that veterans are above the reach of criticism, they shouldn't be. No jerk should ever be able to defend themselves by pointing to medals (no matter how great) pinned on their chest.

Comment

seer, I think that's way out of line.

Comment

Jesus: Love and pray for your enemies.
          seer: Hand their ass over to the Taliban.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Is that the streak of sarcasm you like to use? You're starting to become really unpleasant.
            Not sarcasm, anger...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Is that guy Seer's enemy? Also, odds are Jesus will send the author straight to hell, which sounds a touch worse than the Taliban.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Psalmist: Curses enemies, asks God to slay them.

Comment

Our military swore to defend the Constitution, right?
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

One guy's opinion. Let's whine about it.

MY freaking opinion as a LIBERAL is that servicemen of our various countries should be honoured and respected. I reserve the right to critique the reasons they were sometimes put in harm's way.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                      One guy's opinion. Let's whine about it.

MY freaking opinion as a LIBERAL is that servicemen of our various countries should be honoured and respected. I reserve the right to critique the reasons they were sometimes put in harm's way.
                      I agree with your sentiments, pman. Liberal or not you can not blame the guys in the service. It is not just conservatives or liberals, it is some of both. In my youth I was a liberal, I opposed the war in Vietnam. When those guys began to come back and the same liberals that fought the war, blamed them for the garbage that the government did, I began to move away from the dark side. This blaming of the innocent still sickens me.
                      Last edited by Jedidiah; 11-11-2014, 08:45 PM.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment