Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    You are not asking about a conservative school here. You are asking about a Christian school

A public school should not support one religion over another, as is being done in one North Carolina school. In that case it is support for Islam and no comment on Christianity.
    A public school should not support any religion at all in a secular society such as the US.

A public school should teach sexual morality as opposed to do what feels good, sex should be learned at home.
    No! Sex should be taught as a part of education. It is morality which should be taught at home, church, mosque or temple.

A public school should allow purely student organized and led prayer to open games.
    Prayer led by any religious group, regardless of the religion, has no place at a public school in a secular society such as the US.

YEC is not science, nor is ID. Liberal thought is not pro liberal socially or economically. Liberal thought should allow equal freedom to ask any question that comes up, and those questions should be answered without bias.
    Correct! "YEC is not science, nor is ID" – as was ruled at the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial: The overwhelming evidence at the trial established that ID is a religious view, a mere re-labelling of creationism, not a scientific theory, and as such it has no place in the classroom of a public school other than to be specifically rejected as scientific theory.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      A public school should not support any religion at all in a secular society such as the US.
      Correct!

- - snip - -

"YEC is not science, nor is ID" – as was ruled at the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial: The overwhelming evidence at the trial established that ID is a religious view, a mere re-labelling of creationism, not a scientific theory, and as such it has no place in the classroom of a public school other than to be specifically rejected as scientific theory.
      Amazing, two things I agree with you on.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        Public schools reflect the ideology of their attendant's parents. You're thinking of colleges.
        None so blind as those who refuse to see PM.

Comment

You are not asking about a conservative school here. You are asking about a Christian school

A public school should not support one religion over another, as is being done in one North Carolina school. In that case it is support for Islam and no comment on Christianity. A public school should teach sexual morality as opposed to do what feels good, sex should be learned at home. A public school should allow purely student organized and led prayer to open games. YEC is not science, nor is ID. Liberal thought is not pro liberal socially or economically. Liberal thought should allow equal freedom to ask any question that comes up, and those questions should be answered without bias.
          My point is that all of these incidents are in opposition to liberal ideology. They can only occur in an environment where conservative though thrives. All of these incidents happened/happen in typically conservative areas of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            None so blind as those who refuse to see PM.
            Can you tell me what makes you think I'm wrong?

Comment

My point is that all of these incidents are in opposition to liberal ideology. They can only occur in an environment where conservative though thrives. All of these incidents happened/happen in typically conservative areas of the country.
              So you are saying it is conservatives teaching Islam in the public schools? It is conservatives who do not allow folks to pray on their own on school property? It is conservatives going crazy because some little boy ate a pop-tart into the shape of a gun?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I don't think that's relevant.
                On the contrary, both relevant, and instructive:

Dewey's educational theories were presented in My Pedagogic Creed (1897), The School and Society (1900), The Child and the Curriculum (1902), Democracy and Education (1916) and Experience and Education (1938). Throughout these writings, several recurrent themes ring true; Dewey continually argues that education and learning are social and interactive processes, and thus the school itself is a social institution through which social reform can and should take place. In addition, he believed that students thrive in an environment where they are allowed to experience and interact with the curriculum, and all students should have the opportunity to take part in their own learning.

The ideas of democracy and social reform are continually discussed in Dewey's writings on education. Dewey makes a strong case for the importance of education not only as a place to gain content knowledge, but also as a place to learn how to live. In his eyes, the purpose of education should not revolve around the acquisition of a pre-determined set of skills, but rather the realization of one's full potential and the ability to use those skills for the greater good. He notes that "to prepare him for the future life means to give him command of himself; it means so to train him that he will have the full and ready use of all his capacities" (My pedagogic creed, Dewey, 1897). In addition to helping students realize their full potential, Dewey goes on to acknowledge that education and schooling are instrumental in creating social change and reform. He notes that "education is a regulation of the process of coming to share in the social consciousness; and that the adjustment of individual activity on the basis of this social consciousness is the only sure method of social reconstruction".
                Do you deny that the educational administrators are acting in exactly John Dewey's spirit and philosophy here? As opposed to the more common-sense spirit that sees education simply as 'the acquisition of a pre-determined set of skills'?

Officious and moralizing school administrators running the schools as their local do-gooding religion substitute are inseperable from liberal philosophy. John Dewey was merely their earliest and clearest writer.

Comment

Can you tell me what makes you think I'm wrong?
                  It's kinda looking at a piece of concrete and thinking it's hard.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you are saying it is conservatives teaching Islam in the public schools?
                    I don't know enough about it.

It is conservatives who do not allow folks to pray on their own on school property?
                    It depends.

It is conservatives going crazy because some little boy ate a pop-tart into the shape of a gun?
                    Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                      On the contrary, both relevant, and instructive:

Do you deny that the educational administrators are acting in exactly John Dewey's spirit and philosophy here? As opposed to the more common-sense spirit that sees education simply as 'the acquisition of a pre-determined set of skills'?

Officious and moralizing school administrators running the schools as their local do-gooding religion substitute are inseperable from liberal philosophy. John Dewey was merely their earliest and clearest writer.
                      I do deny that. Standardized tests were created in opposition to his philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It's kinda looking at a piece of concrete and thinking it's hard.
                        It is insane to think that there are no conservative public schools. All throughout the nation, every school in every place is liberal? How is this coordinated? Why and how are liberal teachers and administrators going to these rural or heavily conservative areas and changing things?

Comment

It is insane to think that there are no conservative public schools.
                          Nobody said there weren't! There are PLENTY of Christian Schools!

All throughout the nation, every school in every place is liberal?
                          Gee, PM, I didn't know that!

How is this coordinated? Why and how are liberal teachers and administrators going to these rural or heavily conservative areas and changing things?
                          I'm thinking you went to public school.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know enough about it.

It depends.

Maybe.
                            I am inclined to suspect that you are a liar or a fool. But that is only based upon the answers in this post. I could be wrong.

Comment

It's official: you are completely insane.

Back to the ignore list you go.

Comment

I do deny that. Standardized tests were created in opposition to his philosophy.
                                Do you deny that liberal educational administrators tend to think that standards are for little people, and will take every opportunity possible to cheat those standardized tests, whether for the teachers or the students, openly or covertly?

If you still do, are you telling me that you're smarter than a startup founder who went on to become a math teacher?

Comment