Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

How on earth is meeting on free time to pray and discuss religious topics a violation of separation?

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys filed suit in federal court Friday on behalf of a Pine Creek High School senior told that he and a group of other students may no longer informally meet to pray and discuss religious topics during free time as they have for the past three years.

School officials claimed the “separation of church and state” required the religious speech ban during an open period of the day equivalent to recess when students are free to spend time together, text on their phones, or discuss any other topic. Academy School District #20 and its legal counsel support the school’s decision despite the fact that ADF attorneys explained in an Oct. 7 letter to the district that the policy violates the First Amendment, which protects the students’ religious speech.
    http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/9414
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I'm must glad the article included a pronunciation guide!
    Pronunciation guide: Windebank (WIN’-duh-bank), Tedesco (Tuh-DESS’-koh)

That's probably why the teachers are anti-first amendment!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Historically, liberals have only cared about school-sponsored prayer and worship and have no issue with students practicing their faith on their own. Seer's ignorance has resulted in blaming this (and as seen on this forum, literally everything he dislikes) on liberals instead of overzealous school officials frightened of bad press and lawsuits. This decision has nothing to do with liberal ideology. Either that, or we are not getting the whole story

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        Historically, liberals have only cared about school-sponsored prayer and worship and have no issue with students practicing their faith on their own. Seer's ignorance has resulted in blaming this (and as seen on this forum, literally everything he dislikes) on liberals instead of overzealous school officials frightened of bad press and lawsuits. This decision has nothing to do with liberal ideology. Either that, or we are not getting the whole story
        Bad press and lawsuits from who? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's not from Tea Party activists.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Bad press and lawsuits from who? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's not from Tea Party activists.
          Why did that one school suspend a boy for a gun-shaped poptart? Teachers and administrators ignorant of the law try to play it safe by overreaching. The ACLU and the FFRF only care about school sponsored religion. They have no issue with students practicing religion on their own.

Comment

Historically, liberals have only cared about school-sponsored prayer and worship and have no issue with students practicing their faith on their own.
            That hasn't been my experience as one ARRESTED for practicing my faith on my own, relative to public schools. They first wanted to eliminate ALL religious activities on school grounds, then it got down to allowing "student let" activities under the "equal access" agreement.

Seer's ignorance has resulted in blaming this (and as seen on this forum, literally everything he dislikes) on liberals instead of overzealous school officials frightened of bad press and lawsuits. This decision has nothing to do with liberal ideology. Either that, or we are not getting the whole story
            In my case it was overzealous liberals, but, yeah, a lot of it has to do with fear of lawsuits from ...... OH YEAH... LIBERALS!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              That hasn't been my experience as one ARRESTED for practicing my faith on my own, relative to public schools. They first wanted to eliminate ALL religious activities on school grounds, then it got down to allowing "student let" activities under the "equal access" agreement.

In my case it was overzealous liberals, but, yeah, a lot of it has to do with fear of lawsuits from ...... OH YEAH... LIBERALS!
              I don't know what your experience involved. I do know what my opinions are, what the opinions of liberals I know are, what the opinions of prominent liberals are, and what the opinions of the two major pro-separation of church and state law firms are.

Comment

I don't know what your experience involved. I do know what my opinions are, what the opinions of liberals I know are, what the opinions of prominent liberals are, and what the opinions of the two major pro-separation of church and state law firms are.
                Doesn't matter what the "opinions" are, actions talk much louder.

So, let me ask you... who do you think the "over zealous school officials" are thinking about when they're worried about getting sued? Local pastors? Tea Party? Conservatives?

Comment

Oh?
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Here we are again ... once again I'm getting close to leaving this forum for its consistent and continuous demonisation of anyone with even the most slightly progressive view as one of those AWFUL LIBERALS. Blame, blame, blame. Let's take an entire spectrum of political thought and condense it down to one hated word: LIBERAL. Let's look for things to complain about from the OTHER SIDE.

I don't post about Glen Beck and the stupid things he says because I understand that he is not representative of conservative thought. I can't be the only one who is intelligent enough to hold a nuanced view of people with whom I disagree ...... can I?

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                      Here we are again ... once again I'm getting close to leaving this forum for its consistent and continuous demonisation of anyone with even the most slightly progressive view as one of those AWFUL LIBERALS. Blame, blame, blame. Let's take an entire spectrum of political thought and condense it down to one hated word: LIBERAL. Let's look for things to complain about from the OTHER SIDE.

I don't post about Glen Beck and the stupid things he says because I understand that he is not representative of conservative thought. I can't be the only one who is intelligent enough to hold a nuanced view of people with whom I disagree ...... can I?
                      Pman, it's a fair question... Who is more likely to threaten a law suit at a public school over religion... a liberal or a conservative?

And, if you leave because of us dadburn conservatives, aren't you being a bit intolerant? I'm glad you're back and wish you'd stay!

Comment

This decision has nothing to do with liberal ideology.
                        It has everything to do with liberal ideology.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Pman, it's a fair question... Who is more likely to threaten a law suit at a public school over religion... a liberal or a conservative?

And, if you leave because of us dadburn conservatives, aren't you being a bit intolerant? I'm glad you're back and wish you'd stay!
                          No, I'm happy to leave you to your backslapping. I just don't have to participate in it.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post

I am glad you came back, but I am not going to worry about what I post because it might offend you. Post whatever you want about Beck, or any other conservative. We can take it.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Why did that one school suspend a boy for a gun-shaped poptart?
                              Which group of people gets hysterical to the point of comedy about guns?
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment