Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Good example at #74. The hatred pours out of RumTumTugger like a fountain.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

    Comment


    • #77

      Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      I think that this sort of trained hatred in Christian children does not belong in schools.


      trained hatred, indeed
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        There is no such thing as atheist indoctrination. It is a myth put about by religious fanatics.
        And you certainly didn't help quelling anxiety about it by supporting school administration who dissolve prayer groups for no particularly good reason.

        I don’t mind that comparative religious studies are taught to give young people awareness of world religions, their similarities and differences.
        Me neither, but now you're talking about what would properly take place inside a class, we're talking about what Christians students do on their own, freely, during a break.

        You're an American, and that's the kind of the environment you grew up in. I'm a European. I come from Scandinavia, it doesn't get much more secular than here. And here we have complete freedom to form prayer groups if that's what we want. Like all other groups, the rules are simple that we don't disrupt other people's break and obey common sense, respecting the schools decorum. We were allowed to meet in one of the smallest classrooms and hold prayer sessions and fellowship. I honestly don't see why this should be a problem.

        So I side with these Christian students, there's a problem with how 'freedom of religion' is being interpreted here. Instead of making expression free, its being made to restrict people's freedom in these matters without due reason.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          And you certainly didn't help quelling anxiety about it by supporting school administration who dissolve prayer groups for no particularly good reason.
          Sure, she has a reason! The hatred pours out of FirstFloor like a fountain.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            trained hatred, indeed
            The faithless are lumped in with the cowardly, the detestable, murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars. And they will come to a sticky end besides.
            That type of instruction has consequences. The result is that the badges people wear are more important than the people themselves.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              The faithless are lumped in with the cowardly, the detestable, murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars. And they will come to a sticky end besides.
              That type of instruction has consequences. The result is that the badges people wear are more important than the people themselves.
              Only to the ignorant goofus jackwagon who wants to interpret it that way.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                So I side with these Christian students, there's a problem with how 'freedom of religion' is being interpreted here. Instead of making expression free, its being made to restrict people's freedom in these matters without due reason.
                If you read the letter you will see your mistake. They are allowed prayer meetings out with “instructional time”. It may be a provision required by the Equal Access Act. I do not claim to know whether the School District have acted correctly. It appears that it is not a religious freedom of expression issue.

                I am a British citizen.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Only to the ignorant goofus jackwagon who wants to interpret it that way.
                  If that’s all it is, how do you explain Kalei Wilson’s experience at Pisgah High School?
                  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progres...atheist-group/
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    I am a British citizen.
                    I wonder if the UK has any idea whatsoever how blessed they are to have you.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      If that’s all it is, how do you explain Kalei Wilson’s experience at Pisgah High School?
                      http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progres...atheist-group/
                      Bullying. Not official oppression. Which is it you want to discuss?

                      As often happens, there are two sides to every story -- your article even refers to this one...
                      http://www.religionnews.com/2014/02/...iting-threats/
                      Source: Article Linked Above

                      “It is my opinion your allegations on behalf of Kalei Wilson and Ben Wilson … are without merit and baseless,” Smathers’ letter states. “In my opinion, the allegations arise from a manufactured controversy caused by Mr. Wilson’s influence on his children and a desire for publicity and financial gain. Further, that your respective organizations either unwittingly or willingly have participated in the same.”

                      © Copyright Original Source



                      It is not known what Kalei did to cause the push back from the other students, and it's entirely possible that she bears some of the blame here.
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I wonder if the UK has any idea whatsoever how blessed they are to have you.
                        I’ve decided to donate all my considerable talents to Tweb. “A prophet is not recognised in his own land.”
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          I’ve decided to donate all my considerable talents to Tweb. “A prophet is not recognised in his own land.”
                          Oh Joy.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Bullying. Not official oppression. Which is it you want to discuss?

                            As often happens, there are two sides to every story -- your article even refers to this one...
                            http://www.religionnews.com/2014/02/...iting-threats/
                            Source: Article Linked Above

                            “It is my opinion your allegations on behalf of Kalei Wilson and Ben Wilson … are without merit and baseless,” Smathers’ letter states. “In my opinion, the allegations arise from a manufactured controversy caused by Mr. Wilson’s influence on his children and a desire for publicity and financial gain. Further, that your respective organizations either unwittingly or willingly have participated in the same.”

                            © Copyright Original Source



                            It is not known what Kalei did to cause the push back from the other students, and it's entirely possible that she bears some of the blame here.
                            As you say, there are always two sides. This is the other.
                            “The whole episode is a sad and painful reminder of the formal and informal persecution, intimidation and harassment that atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers often must face.”
                            “It is also a stinging indictment of the hypocrisy, the arrogance, and the cruelty of the Christian community at large. One can only wonder, where were the so called “good Christians” while this teen was being threatened and harassed?”
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              As you say, there are always two sides. This is the other.
                              Yeah, then there's the OTHER other.

                              “The whole episode is a sad and painful reminder of the formal and informal persecution, intimidation and harassment that atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers often must face.”
                              Yeah, kids can be mean. WHO KNEW?!?!?!

                              “It is also a stinging indictment of the hypocrisy, the arrogance, and the cruelty of the Christian community at large.
                              Drama.

                              One can only wonder, where were the so called “good Christians” while this teen was being threatened and harassed?”
                              And, AGAIN, one side of this is that it was a MANUFACTURED controversy, so many of the "good Christians" were probably waiting for actual evidence, not just knee-jerk reacting to drama. But feel free to drama on!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                Good example at #74. The hatred pours out of RumTumTugger like a fountain.
                                That was a bit harsh. Sorry RTT.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Cow Poke, 10-15-2021, 11:30 AM
                                15 responses
                                112 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Cow Poke, 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM
                                8 responses
                                64 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 10-15-2021, 09:43 AM
                                14 responses
                                151 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 10-14-2021, 06:40 PM
                                16 responses
                                128 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seer
                                by seer
                                 
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 10-14-2021, 02:20 PM
                                74 responses
                                383 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Working...
                                X