Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    How on earth is meeting on free time to pray and discuss religious topics a violation of separation?
    Seer, you are like a mad juror who walks into a courtroom and shouts “Guilty”.
    Please sit down sir, says the Judge, we are about to hear the evidence.
    What did you make of the School District letter?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Seer, you are like a mad juror who walks into a courtroom and shouts “Guilty”.
      Please sit down sir, says the Judge, we are about to hear the evidence.
      What did you make of the School District letter?
      The pot calling the kettle black. And no, I could not open that link.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This is it. Oops. Too samll to read. Will try someting else.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by firstfloor; 11-15-2014, 07:22 AM.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

This is the link address:
          http://www.adfmedia.org/files/ASD20Letter.pdf

Comment

This is it. Oops. Too samll to read. Will try someting else.
            Hard to see how this is much better. If this letter is correct, Christian groups can't even meet during lunch break. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Hard to see how this is much better. If this letter is correct, Christian groups can't even meet during lunch break. Am I missing something?
              Suppose a group of anarchists wanted to meet in school to discuss the construction of home made bombs? It’s actually pretty generous of the school to allow them the use of school premises to indoctrinate young minds with the same sort of superstitious nonsense that resulted in a witch burning in Paraguay last week.

Comment

Suppose a group of anarchists wanted to meet in school to discuss the construction of home made bombs?
                Or yell FIRE in a crowded theater?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The school letter is just a CYA. Heck, kids can do most anything else in their free time and the Christian kids have been having these meetings for three years. What I want to know is how is this a violation of the separation of church and state? It is clearly not.

Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys filed suit in federal court Friday on behalf of a Pine Creek High School senior told that he and a group of other students may no longer informally meet to pray and discuss religious topics during free time as they have for the past three years.

School officials claimed the “separation of church and state” required the religious speech ban during an open period of the day equivalent to recess when students are free to spend time together, text on their phones, or discuss any other topic. Academy School District #20 and its legal counsel support the school’s decision despite the fact that ADF attorneys explained in an Oct. 7 letter to the district that the policy violates the First Amendment, which protects the students’ religious speech.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Suppose a group of anarchists wanted to meet in school to discuss the construction of home made bombs? It’s actually pretty generous of the school to allow them the use of school premises to indoctrinate young minds with the same sort of superstitious nonsense that resulted in a witch burning in Paraguay last week.
                    There is no 1st amendment protecting anarchist bomb makers. They are criminals, engaging in criminal activity.

At least learn what our constitution says before speaking like an idiot. I know you are in the UK, but if you don't understand our laws and constitution, then it would be better for you not to comment at all. I don't comment on the UK system of government because I admittedly don't know your laws or constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      There is no 1st amendment protecting anarchist bomb makers. They are criminals, engaging in criminal activity.

At least learn what our constitution says before speaking like an idiot. I know you are in the UK, but if you don't understand our laws and constitution, then it would be better for you not to comment at all. I don't comment on the UK system of government because I admittedly don't know your laws or constitution.
                      I don’t think it’s a first amendment issue. Equal Access Act is the reason given in the letter. My advice, if you want it, is to keep real stuff (school education) away from spooky stuff (religion) so that young people don’t get confused.

Comment

I don’t think it’s a first amendment issue. Equal Access Act is the reason given in the letter. My advice, if you want it, is to keep real stuff (school education) away from spooky stuff (religion) so that young people don’t get confused.

Yeah, kids are MUCH less confused, for example, when a teacher uses her (or his) position of authority to be a sexual predator on the children in her (or his) charge.

The schools have FAR greater problems than a bunch of kids praying.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          It's kinda looking at a piece of concrete and thinking it's hard.
                          You got it CP

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor
                            Suppose a group of anarchists wanted to meet in school to discuss the construction of home made bombs?
                            This example overshoots so much I don't really think I have to dismantle it.

Basically you're saying that its okay to ban religion from schools and actively preventing groups of students who freely want to pray from doing so, and this is a good thing to avoid young people becoming 'confused', or 'indoctrinated'.

And you're wondering why Christians on this forum are worried about atheist indoctrination in public schools?

Comment

This example overshoots so much I don't really think I have to dismantle it.

Basically you're saying that its okay to ban religion from schools and actively preventing groups of students who freely want to pray from doing so, and this is a good thing to avoid young people becoming 'confused', or 'indoctrinated'.

And you're wondering why Christians on this forum are worried about atheist indoctrination in public schools?
                              Leonhard you are talking to FF who is as has been shown in all his posts a bigoted Troll who cares nothing for the TRUTH. I"d put him on ignore since he never has anything to add to any conversation he gets into only his bigoted tripe

Comment

There is no such thing as atheist indoctrination. It is a myth put about by religious fanatics. An atheist is saying no more than I am not convinced that your God exists. Unfortunately, the religious mind won’t leave it at that. There has to be punishment for that “rejection” of God. That is the thing that always causes the problem. You can see it clearly in the fairly recent case of Kalei Wilson who wanted to set up a secular club at her school. The hatred directed at her by Christians was so bad that she backed out.
                                http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progres...atheist-group/

I think that this sort of trained hatred in Christian children does not belong in schools. I don’t mind that comparative religious studies are taught to give young people awareness of world religions, their similarities and differences. But while you are at school it should not matter to you what religion your fellow students belong to. It is probably best that you not to know.

Comment