Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Still digging that hole, eh FF? Let me know when you reach China.
    A tunnel between worlds starts as a hole in the ground.

BTW you do know that not all Christians are rapture believers, right?
    Yes LPOT I know that very well.
    This week I am listening to the PBS series “God in America”.

STEPHEN PROTHERO, Professor of Religion, Boston University: “I think America is a story. And Americans, as they move - as they first come here, as they move west, as they move out into the world - they're telling a story. And the story they're telling is a Biblical story. I think it's the Exodus story. They're telling a story about the movement of a people out of slavery into freedom, out of the old world into the new, out of the place of the Pharaoh, or George III, into this place of freedom.
    And this started to become a new world instead of just the old world in a new place. And so much of what drives the story of America is figuring out what that new thing should be.
    What should that new thing be?”

And the next new thing is this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-conservatives
    “The so-called millennials (Americans born between 1982 and 2000) are far more diverse, educated and tolerant than their predecessors. They’re also the least religious generation in American history – they’re even getting less religious as they get older, which is unprecedented – and the majority of them identify Christianity as synonymous with harsh political conservatism.”

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    In that case, would you say that Jesus had a political message, and if so, what was it? I had a quick search for this topic and I see that John Howard Yoder wrote a book on the subject “The Politics of Jesus”.

Are Christians supposed to be engaged with the world politically or should they be minding their own business and waiting quietly to be raptured off the planet?
    Found this quote - Oliver Wendell Holmes once said that some people are “so heavenly minded they are no earthly good.” - See more at: http://blog.tifwe.org/why-christians....2dgEIFH5.dpuf
    Still digging that hole, eh FF? Let me know when you reach China.

BTW you do know that not all Christians are rapture believers, right?

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    People like FF think they can shut us up and turn us into cattle by misquoting the bible and telling us that we should "not get involved"
    I agree that Christians should not get involved...in democratic politics, which is a simulacrum and distraction of power rather than actual power, and leads too easily to the belief that the voice of the numerical majority is the voice of God. I do agree that Christians should take over, replace, or destroy the mechanisms of true power-the media, the academic professoriate, and the permanent civil service-if they want a chance to actually take this world for Christ. In a Christian society it may be well to say "I am a net producer, I help the less fortunate, all is well," but we don't live in a Christian society, do we?

Ann Coulter is still right:

Whatever good Dr. Kent Brantly did in Liberia has now been overwhelmed by the more than $2 million already paid by the Christian charities Samaritan's Purse and SIM USA just to fly him and his nurse home in separate Gulfstream jets, specially equipped with medical tents, and to care for them at one of America's premier hospitals. (This trip may be the first real-world demonstration of the economics of Obamacare.)

There's little danger of an Ebola plague breaking loose from the treatment of these two Americans at the Emory University Hospital. But why do we have to deal with this at all?

Why did Dr. Brantly have to go to Africa? The very first "risk factor" listed by the Mayo Clinic for Ebola -- an incurable disease with a 90 percent fatality rate -- is: "Travel to Africa."

Can't anyone serve Christ in America anymore?

No -- because we're doing just fine. America, the most powerful, influential nation on Earth, is merely in a pitched battle for its soul.

About 15,000 people are murdered in the U.S. every year. More than 38,000 die of drug overdoses, half of them from prescription drugs. More than 40 percent of babies are born out of wedlock. Despite the runaway success of "midnight basketball," a healthy chunk of those children go on to murder other children, rape grandmothers, bury little girls alive -- and then eat a sandwich. A power-mad president has thrown approximately 10 percent of all Americans off their health insurance -- the rest of you to come! All our elite cultural institutions laugh at virginity and celebrate promiscuity.

So no, there's nothing for a Christian to do here.

If Dr. Brantly had practiced at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles and turned one single Hollywood power-broker to Christ, he would have done more good for the entire world than anything he could accomplish in a century spent in Liberia. Ebola kills only the body; the virus of spiritual bankruptcy and moral decadence spread by so many Hollywood movies infects the world.

If he had provided health care for the uninsured editors, writers, videographers and pundits in Gotham and managed to open one set of eyes, he would have done more good than marinating himself in medieval diseases of the Third World.

Of course, if Brantly had evangelized in New York City or Los Angeles, The New York Times would get upset and accuse him of anti-Semitism, until he swore -- as the pope did -- that you don't have to be a Christian to go to heaven. Evangelize in Liberia, and the Times' Nicholas Kristof will be totally impressed.

Which explains why American Christians go on "mission trips" to disease-ridden cesspools. They're tired of fighting the culture war in the U.S., tired of being called homophobes, racists, sexists and bigots. So they slink off to Third World countries, away from American culture to do good works, forgetting that the first rule of life on a riverbank is that any good that one attempts downstream is quickly overtaken by what happens upstream.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What's WITH you people with all these false dichotomies?
    People like FF think they can shut us up and turn us into cattle by misquoting the bible and telling us that we should "not get involved"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Are Christians supposed to be engaged with the world politically or should they be minding their own business and waiting quietly to be raptured off the planet?
    What's WITH you people with all these false dichotomies?

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Are Christians supposed to be engaged with the world politically or should they be minding their own business
    In the United States politics is the Christians business.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    I lean toward Christ Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my Faith.
    In that case, would you say that Jesus had a political message, and if so, what was it? I had a quick search for this topic and I see that John Howard Yoder wrote a book on the subject “The Politics of Jesus”.

Found this quote - Oliver Wendell Holmes once said that some people are “so heavenly minded they are no earthly good.” - See more at: http://blog.tifwe.org/why-christians....2dgEIFH5.dpuf
    Last edited by firstfloor; 11-25-2014, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    It should have been obvious that I was not intending to criticise you personally but why don’t you give me your appraisal of this short article and we will see if you understand the issue in the same way that I do.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-ch...b_5571185.html
    Do you lean towards Rick Warren or Chuck Currie?
    I lean toward Christ Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my Faith.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    How, EXACTLY, am I "undermining church state separation"?
    It should have been obvious that I was not intending to criticise you personally but why don’t you give me your appraisal of this short article and we will see if you understand the issue in the same way that I do.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-ch...b_5571185.html
    Do you lean towards Rick Warren or Chuck Currie?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    My reply to your #199 meant that the Jews do not need to worry that I will be complaining to any holocaust survivor about Christian persecution. It had nothing to do the situation in the Middle East.

Your First Amendment is like your crown jewels. Instead of trying to undermine church state separation you should be teaching it to the world.
    How, EXACTLY, am I "undermining church state separation"?

Just wait, FF, fruitcakes are almost in season again, and you'll be in your glory!

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Maybe they should COMPROMISE!!! Like, convincing the surrounding enemies to kill only HALF of all Israelis!
    Ummmmm..... perhaps you're not aware of the number of Jews who do not subscribe to the Jewish faith?
    Wow, you're a dreamer. While "equal rights" is a wonderful concept, it is not quite yet reality.
    This doesn't change the idiocy of your statement "The Jews can relax."
    My reply to your #199 meant that the Jews do not need to worry that I will be complaining to any holocaust survivor about Christian persecution. It had nothing to do the situation in the Middle East.

Your First Amendment is like your crown jewels. Instead of trying to undermine church state separation you should be teaching it to the world.
    Defeating ISIS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LDT...A0C8985FAE1C22
    Last edited by firstfloor; 11-24-2014, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    They need to move in two directions at once. Interfaith dialogue will build mutual understanding and break down prejudices. And they need to get God out of politics and the state whether Muslim, Jewish or Christian. Once everyone has equal rights in modern secular states like the U.S. or Europe, things will improve. A theocracy will not get along with anyone else.
    Judging by your hateful posts, neither does atheism. Now what?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    They need to move in two directions at once. Interfaith dialogue will build mutual understanding and break down prejudices.
    Maybe they should COMPROMISE!!! Like, convincing the surrounding enemies to kill only HALF of all Israelis!

And they need to get God out of politics and the state whether Muslim, Jewish or Christian.
    Ummmmm..... perhaps you're not aware of the number of Jews who do not subscribe to the Jewish faith?

Once everyone has equal rights in modern secular states like the U.S. or Europe, things will improve.
    Wow, you're a dreamer. While "equal rights" is a wonderful concept, it is not quite yet reality.

A theocracy will not get along with anyone else.
    This doesn't change the idiocy of your statement "The Jews can relax."

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Yeah, cause it's not like they're actually surrounded by enemies on all sides who wish to wipe them off the face of the earth.
    They need to move in two directions at once. Interfaith dialogue will build mutual understanding and break down prejudices. And they need to get God out of politics and the state whether Muslim, Jewish or Christian. Once everyone has equal rights in modern secular states like the U.S. or Europe, things will improve. A theocracy will not get along with anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The Jews can relax.
    Yeah, cause it's not like they're actually surrounded by enemies on all sides who wish to wipe them off the face of the earth.

Leave a comment: