Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    A tunnel between worlds starts as a hole in the ground.
    Do you enjoy saying random bumper sticking sayings FF? I recall Alice falling down a hole into another world. How well did that work out fo rher?

Yes LPOT I know that very well.
    This week I am listening to the PBS series “God in America”.

STEPHEN PROTHERO, Professor of Religion, Boston University: “I think America is a story. And Americans, as they move - as they first come here, as they move west, as they move out into the world - they're telling a story. And the story they're telling is a Biblical story. I think it's the Exodus story. They're telling a story about the movement of a people out of slavery into freedom, out of the old world into the new, out of the place of the Pharaoh, or George III, into this place of freedom.
    And this started to become a new world instead of just the old world in a new place. And so much of what drives the story of America is figuring out what that new thing should be.
    And this has what to do with the price of tea in china or a word I said? Do you just enjoy ranting for the sake of ranting about nothing that has a thing to do with a word anybody said?

What should that new thing be?”

And the next new thing is this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-conservatives
    “The so-called millennials (Americans born between 1982 and 2000) are far more diverse, educated and tolerant than their predecessors. They’re also the least religious generation in American history – they’re even getting less religious as they get older, which is unprecedented – and the majority of them identify Christianity as synonymous with harsh political conservatism.”
    And this has what to do with a word I said? The interesting thing is that I was born in the mid 1980's and also fit into the millennial generation demographic too. The thing is that most of the most anti religious ones are exposed to anti religion day and night. I've ran into these types in both the military and college. Refuting their claims really isn't that hard because so few of them are well versed on the complex nature of which they think their opinion rest. I remember one that tried to use The Da Vinci Code as some sort of grand Christian refutation. Problem was that I had already studied that topic and was able to thoroughly refute everything he said. Instead of admitting to his error, he just stopped bringing up the topic when I was around. Yep, good way to deal with things you can't refute, just ignore it and hope it goes away. Goes to show that intellectual dishonest and laziness isn't just limited to those who are religious, eh? Besides, this is just a giant ad populum fallacy anyway. It really doesn't matter if millions are Christians or not. The truth of Christianity doesn't rest on the number of believers. I would think somebody, who claims to be a 'follower of reason' would be aware of logical fallacies, such as that. Yep, that the sort of nonsense that passes as truth among the skeptical community today... yet you wonder why I don't accept skepticism?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Interesting article. So there's hope for the USA yet.
      Your hatred of religion coming up again, eh Tazzy Wazzy? So have you got to work on refuting my argument against your abuse of the HDI or do you think ignoring me and ignoring my arguments will make them go away?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        A "tunnel between worlds"? So, you dig a hole in the ground, and somehow tunnel to another world? Groovy!
        I think he read it from a bumper sticker. It's a way of trying to sound superior, without actually being superior.
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Stuff like this from ff surprises you? Why?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• firstfloor, you are a blatant troll. Remember when you were sneaking jokes about Christian sacraments being latent examples of homosexuality into your responses to gerry (knowing full well he wouldn't get them because he can't speak English), then complaining a few days later that nobody took you seriously?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor
              But in most situations, a shovel will do much more good than a gun.
              At melee range, most definitely. The swords/plowshares dichotomy is a product of a happier time where symbols were taken seriously.

Comment