Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    That the Chicago government is "secular" is immaterial. America is mostly religious, and Chicago is part of America. Therefore the violence can be blamed on religion. Just ask Tassman.
    Cute!

Nevertheless, the US is more religious than most developed nations so it is interesting to note that it has has more guns – and gun deaths – than any other country:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...y-study-finds/

And the highest rates of incarceration:

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Arti...rceration.aspx

And the most inequitable distribution of wealth of any nation in the in the developed world:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-z...b_4408647.html

So is religion the cause of such inequity and violence? Or does it have no impact upon the lives of its adherents and their behaviour?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

Unless you happen to be a Koopa Troopa or a Pokemon, there will be no violence against you by me. I have better things to do with my time... like wash my hair. Sounds like you and DarkMoron are paranoid. I hear there's some good psychologist these days. Are they still using electroshock therapy and a thorazine drip to treat paranoid delusions?
      I am sure that you are a gentle soul like me. But the violence is part of the religious script. It is built in to the ideas of sin, infidel, heaven, hell and evangelism. Yes, even the idea that a person is ordered by God to actively spread the gospel (or Islam) is the expression of a violent, supremacist ideology. And every convert is a victim of that ideological violence in the same sense that people are victims of an infectious disease. That violence, fully expressed, is exactly what happened on a bus in Kenya. The fact that some of the potential violence is held in reserve by Christians does not excuse it.
      Last edited by firstfloor; 11-23-2014, 06:43 AM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        I am sure that you are a gentle soul like me.
        Yet you have some extremist views!

But the violence is part of the religious script.
        In your violent mind, perhaps.

It is built in to the ideas of sin, infidel, heaven, hell and evangelism. Yes, even the idea that a person is ordered by God to actively spread the gospel (or Islam) is the expression of a violent, supremacist ideology.
        Evangelism for the Christian is one beggar telling another beggar where to find the bread of life -- HARDLY anything violent in that!

And every convert is a victim of that ideological violence in the same sense that people are victims of an infectious disease. That violence, fully expressed, is exactly what happened on a bus in Kenya. The fact that some of the potential violence is held in reserve by Christians does not excuse it.
        I'm thinking maybe you must be a serial killer or something, at least in your head, always thinking of violence.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yet you have some extremist views!
          In your violent mind, perhaps.
          I'm thinking maybe you must be a serial killer or something, at least in your head, always thinking of violence.
          I had that coming. I know you to be an honourable man CP so I do not take offence at any of it.

Evangelism for the Christian is one beggar telling another beggar where to find the bread of life -- HARDLY anything violent in that!
          I agree it is not obvious. Evangelism is a very subtle form of violence. It is a system that rewards the evangelist with good feelings while it excludes and demonises outsiders, to make them feel bad and then asks them to copy the violence so that they too can feel good by making other people feel bad. It generates and feeds on people’s misery – we are sinners, take this cure. Without the violence it would not work because “the emperor has no clothes”, to coin a well known phrase.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I am sure that you are a gentle soul like me. But the violence is part of the religious script. It is built in to the ideas of sin, infidel, heaven, hell and evangelism. Yes, even the idea that a person is ordered by God to actively spread the gospel (or Islam) is the expression of a violent, supremacist ideology. And every convert is a victim of that ideological violence in the same sense that people are victims of an infectious disease. That violence, fully expressed, is exactly what happened on a bus in Kenya. The fact that some of the potential violence is held in reserve by Christians does not excuse it.
            Have you tried seeking a cure for your paranoid delusions? Your ranting sounds like a classic case of paranoid delusions:

It involves the person’s belief that he or she is being conspired against, cheated, spied on, followed, poisoned or drugged, maliciously maligned, harassed, or obstructed in the pursuit of long-term goals.
            http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia...noid-delusion/

Have you tried seeking a psychologist for your paranoia?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I agree it is not obvious. Evangelism is a very subtle form of violence. It is a system that rewards the evangelist with good feelings while it excludes and demonises outsiders, to make them feel bad and then asks them to copy the violence so that they too can feel good by making other people feel bad. It generates and feeds on people’s misery – we are sinners, take this cure. Without the violence it would not work because “the emperor has no clothes”, to coin a well known phrase.
              Yep, a classic case of paranoia because the idea ones are sinners is hardly 'feeding on people's misery' because of your paranoid delusions there FF. Again, seek help... you need it.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Evangelism is a very subtle form of violence.
                This is a mockery to every person who has suffered actual violence. Rape victims, abused women, battered children.... it is a sham to compare "evangelism" with violence. You should be ashamed.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  This is a mockery to every person who has suffered actual violence. Rape victims, abused women, battered children.... it is a sham to compare "evangelism" with violence. You should be ashamed.
                  firstfloor is all mockery any how. That is why I stopped responding to his posts.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Cute!

Nevertheless, the US is more religious than most developed nations so it is interesting to note that it has has more guns – and gun deaths – than any other country:

And the most inequitable distribution of wealth of any nation in the in the developed world:

So is religion the cause of such inequity and violence? Or does it have no impact upon the lives of its adherents and their behaviour?
                    Good luck linking any of those to Christian principles.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Cute!

Still strange you hop on the blame religion bandwagon for all of this.
                      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Suppose a group of anarchists wanted to meet in school to discuss the construction of home made bombs? It’s actually pretty generous of the school to allow them the use of school premises to indoctrinate young minds with the same sort of superstitious nonsense that resulted in a witch burning in Paraguay last week.
                        Has anyone here even heard of the non-aggression principle? Anyone? Bueller?

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

• Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                          Has anyone here even heard of the non-aggression principle? Anyone? Bueller?
                          tumblr_inline_mh3cnnXBcI1qez3ro.jpg
                          אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
                          "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
                          כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
                          "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment

• Originally posted by Y'hoshua View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2785[/ATTACH]
                            No, no! That is the Tea Party. We do not throw bombs.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              No, no! That is the Tea Party. We do not throw bombs.
                              Umm... thewriteranon just said "Has anyone here even heard of the non-aggression principle?" Were you not paying attention or did you ignore it on purpose?

The Tea Party would still promote *a form* of government, which is still statism, which is still authoritarian, which is still immoral and unethical. They're a bunch of neo-cons who like to talk like anarchists but are not really into liberty.

And since when have anarchists ever thrown bombs since the 1886 Haymarket Square riot? Historically, the majority of anarchists encourage nonviolent means for this goal (hence non-aggression principle).

...At least, anarcho-capitalists do not throw bombs. I cannot speak for anarcho-communists who are insane.

anarchocapitalism.jpg
                              Last edited by Y'hoshua; 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM.
                              אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
                              "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
                              כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
                              "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment

• Originally posted by Y'hoshua View Post
                                Umm... thewriteranon just said "Has anyone here even heard of the non-aggression principle?" Were you not paying attention or did you ignore it on purpose?

The Tea Party would still promote *a form* of government, which is still statism, which is still authoritarian, which is still immoral and unethical. They're is a bunch of neo-cons who like to talk like anarchists but are not really into liberty.

And since when have anarchists ever thrown bombs since the 1886 Haymarket Square riot? Historically, the majority of anarchists encourage nonviolent means for this goal (hence non-aggression principle).

...At least, anarcho-capitalists do not throw bombs. I cannot speak for anarcho-communists who are insane.
                                But...but who would build the roads??????

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                                "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment