Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Those Freedom Loving Liberals!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The reason organized religion merits outright hostility is that, unlike belief in Russell's teapot, religion is powerful, influential, tax-exempt and systematically passed on to children too young to defend themselves.
    So are public schools.

    Children are not compelled to spend their formative years memorizing loony books about teapots.
    No, they're expected to learn about anal sex instead.

    Government-subsidized schools don't exclude children whose parents prefer the wrong shape of teapot.
    And yet, if one's particular teapot belief were a reliable marker of later success in life, I'm sure they'd find a way to.

    Teapot-believers don't stone teapot-unbelievers, teapot-apostates, teapot-heretics and teapot-blasphemers to death. Mothers don't warn their sons off marrying teapot-shiksas whose parents believe in three teapots rather than one. People who put the milk in first don't kneecap those who put the tea in first.” - Dawkins ‘The God Delusion’.
    That's because the teapot comparison is what we call an extremely weak metaphor, of the type used by people who never paid attention in English writing and composition class. The mathematically minded might say that the comparison is not isomorphic to the problem described, but I'd rather not use the big abstract sciency words with you just yet.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      So are public schools.
      Public schools would be much better if they weren't run by liberal unions.
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, lemme know how that works out for ya.
        How come you’re in this video CP?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV7KWQ-fY4
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

        Comment


        • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          How come you’re in this video CP?
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV7KWQ-fY4
          Didn't look.
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            How come you’re in this video CP?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV7KWQ-fY4
            Still desperately trolling?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Didn't look.
              That’s okay. So, what is all the fuss all about? BBC new today: some more religious nutters going nuts in Kenya. The theme as usual: get with the sacred book or die.
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30157581
              “I've often been told by Christians, "Hey, if you were in a Muslim country, making fun of religion, you'd be dead by now," (John Lennox has said stuff like this). Basically, that means "At least we Christians let you live." Um...thanks. Those are some mighty low standards you have there. I don't trust radicals on either side. I'm alive because the secular government won't allow you to kill me - not because there's a shortage of Christians who would be ready, willing, and able to do it. Of that, I have no doubt.” – DarkMatter2525
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

              Comment


              • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                That’s okay.
                Yeah.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  I'm alive because the secular government won't allow you to kill me
                  That's just dumb! The secular government can't keep ANYBODY from killing you --- they can only punish them if they do. What keeps MOST people from killing you is that they are constrained from within -- their morals or values don't allow it, or they have no desire to do so.

                  Think really hard about what you're saying .... you place WAY too much confidence in "the secular government".
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    Still desperately trolling?
                    You can call it what you like LPOT. If I didn’t keep poking you with a stick you might become terribly complacent. I am, I hope, helping you to exercise your mind. Who knows what might happen when the blood gets flowing through those cobwebs.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      That’s okay. So, what is all the fuss all about? BBC new today: some more religious nutters going nuts in Kenya. The theme as usual: get with the sacred book or die.
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30157581
                      “I've often been told by Christians, "Hey, if you were in a Muslim country, making fun of religion, you'd be dead by now," (John Lennox has said stuff like this). Basically, that means "At least we Christians let you live." Um...thanks. Those are some mighty low standards you have there. I don't trust radicals on either side. I'm alive because the secular government won't allow you to kill me - not because there's a shortage of Christians who would be ready, willing, and able to do it. Of that, I have no doubt.” – DarkMatter2525

                      DarkMatter2525? Seriously? You might as well try to get Ken Ham to support you in Nat. Sci. 301.

                      Comment


                      • So, let's see about "secular government" stopping people from killing others....

                        Wouldn't you agree that the Chicago government is pretty durn "secular"?

                        Source: MarketWatch

                        Chicago remains No. 1 in terms of actual number of murders. In 2012, the latest year for which official data is available, the third-largest city in the country had 500 murders, more than any other city, and it has been among the top three cities with the most murders since 1985, according to data compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for cities with a population of at least 100,000 people. The Chicago Tribune reports that there were 440 homicides in Chicago last year, and 207 so far this year.

                        © Copyright Original Source



                        It appears that, in Chicago alone, the "secular government" failed to stop 500 murders in 2012 alone! So much for " I'm alive because the secular government won't allow you to kill me".

                        I mean, seriously!
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, let's see about "secular government" stopping people from killing others....

                          Wouldn't you agree that the Chicago government is pretty durn "secular"?

                          Source: MarketWatch

                          Chicago remains No. 1 in terms of actual number of murders. In 2012, the latest year for which official data is available, the third-largest city in the country had 500 murders, more than any other city, and it has been among the top three cities with the most murders since 1985, according to data compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for cities with a population of at least 100,000 people. The Chicago Tribune reports that there were 440 homicides in Chicago last year, and 207 so far this year.

                          © Copyright Original Source



                          It appears that, in Chicago alone, the "secular government" failed to stop 500 murders in 2012 alone! So much for " I'm alive because the secular government won't allow you to kill me".

                          I mean, seriously!
                          That the Chicago government is "secular" is immaterial. America is mostly religious, and Chicago is part of America. Therefore the violence can be blamed on religion. Just ask Tassman.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            That the Chicago government is "secular" is immaterial. America is mostly religious, and Chicago is part of America. Therefore the violence can be blamed on religion. Just ask Tassman.
                            Well, since you splained it to me...
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              You can call it what you like LPOT. If I didn’t keep poking you with a stick you might become terribly complacent. I am, I hope, helping you to exercise your mind. Who knows what might happen when the blood gets flowing through those cobwebs.
                              Problem is FF, you're not a challenge to the mind, but an amusing distraction from my other pursuits. My new video games are more of a mental challenge then you'll ever be.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                That’s okay. So, what is all the fuss all about? BBC new today: some more religious nutters going nuts in Kenya. The theme as usual: get with the sacred book or die.
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30157581
                                “I've often been told by Christians, "Hey, if you were in a Muslim country, making fun of religion, you'd be dead by now," (John Lennox has said stuff like this). Basically, that means "At least we Christians let you live." Um...thanks. Those are some mighty low standards you have there. I don't trust radicals on either side. I'm alive because the secular government won't allow you to kill me - not because there's a shortage of Christians who would be ready, willing, and able to do it. Of that, I have no doubt.” – DarkMatter2525


                                Unless you happen to be a Koopa Troopa or a Pokemon, there will be no violence against you by me. I have better things to do with my time... like wash my hair. Sounds like you and DarkMoron are paranoid. I hear there's some good psychologist these days. Are they still using electroshock therapy and a thorazine drip to treat paranoid delusions?
                                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 11-22-2014, 06:13 PM.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by mikewhitney, Yesterday, 04:36 PM
                                1 response
                                41 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post mikewhitney  
                                Started by mossrose, Yesterday, 12:24 PM
                                11 responses
                                75 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post mikewhitney  
                                Started by Thoughtful Monk, Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                                25 responses
                                89 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Thoughtful Monk  
                                Started by Thoughtful Monk, 08-02-2021, 06:48 AM
                                9 responses
                                56 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Gondwanaland  
                                Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, 08-02-2021, 05:10 AM
                                186 responses
                                878 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Working...
                                X