Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pastors Face Jail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt in this instance, I was saddened by CP’s comment and the confusion about it was my fault. I regret having said anything at all.
    When I know I have an appointment with somebody, like a job interview, I do my homework. I make sure I'm prepared.

How much MORE important is it to be prepared for an appointment that has an ETERNAL impact?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• If you were not so "slimy and dishonest" I might almost see this a a sincere comment, ff.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        If you were not so "slimy and dishonest" I might almost see this a a sincere comment, ff.
        Let’s not be too hasty.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          When I know I have an appointment with somebody, like a job interview, I do my homework. I make sure I'm prepared.
          How much MORE important is it to be prepared for an appointment that has an ETERNAL impact?
          Yes, this is the field of the barbed wire. (I was watching War Horse at the weekend.) It’s not that I don’t know the script CP. My sensus divinitatis is differently tuned. My god does continuous assessment but no final exam. As Dave Allen used to say “May your god go with you.” This is the sort of generosity that I admire. It means that there are no Christians, Muslims, apostates or unbelievers. All these differences fall down. I am very sure that we choose our own gods (usually the family heirloom) and then lie to ourselves about it.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Yes, this is the field of the barbed wire. (I was watching War Horse at the weekend.) It’s not that I don’t know the script CP. My sensus divinitatis is differently tuned. My god does continuous assessment but no final exam. As Dave Allen used to say “May your god go with you.” This is the sort of generosity that I admire. It means that there are no Christians, Muslims, apostates or unbelievers. All these differences fall down. I am very sure that we choose our own gods (usually the family heirloom) and then lie to ourselves about it.
            You are certainly entitled to be wrong.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, this is the field of the barbed wire. (I was watching War Horse at the weekend.) It’s not that I don’t know the script CP. My sensus divinitatis is differently tuned. My god does continuous assessment but no final exam.
              Our Lady of The HR Department may be a bit of a tough sell.

As Dave Allen used to say “May your god go with you.” This is the sort of generosity that I admire. It means that there are no Christians, Muslims, apostates or unbelievers. All these differences fall down. I am very sure that we choose our own gods (usually the family heirloom) and then lie to ourselves about it.
              If you apply the right algorithms to your spreadsheets, then you can, indeed make any statistical anomaly disappear. But the only use that mathematics has is in being isomorphic to reality.

Originally posted by Steven den Beste
              Mathematics is only useful to us because of its isomorphism to various real world operations; without it, all mathematics would be nothing more than an interesting intellectual puzzle. The only pitfall is when we think we can construct the two transform functions and assume an isomorphism which isn't there; if we're mistaken, then math will give us the wrong answer. It's not that the math is false, rather it's that either the transforms were incorrect or the function we tried to use wasn't really isomorphic to the physical reality. For example, if we try to navigate a globe using a flat map and Euclidean geometry, we'll get lost. Plane geometry is not isomorphic to nagivation on the surface of a sphere. Spherical geometry, on the other hand, is.
              You are hazy and evasive because you are immature, mis-educated, and provincial. I assure you independent of any theological supports that Christians, Muslims, Jews, and unbelievers have statistically significant and measurable deviations in outlook, feeling, response, and forgiveness.

Comment

You are certainly entitled to be wrong.
                I would encourage you to adjust your thinking ever so slightly, viz:
                You are certainly entitled to be wrong. – BAD (implies judgement)
                You are certainly entitled to be different. – GOOD (neutral as to consequences)

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                  Our Lady of The HR Department may be a bit of a tough sell.
                  In that case I’ll be sure to wear my Doc Martens.

If you apply the right algorithms to your spreadsheets, then you can, indeed make any statistical anomaly disappear. But the only use that mathematics has is in being isomorphic to reality.
                  Of course.

I assure you independent of any theological supports that Christians, Muslims, Jews, and unbelievers have statistically significant and measurable deviations in outlook, feeling, response, and forgiveness.
                  Okay. Interesting blog but I think you need to get out more; probably don’t want to accidently clone yourself.

Comment

Okay. Interesting blog but I think you need to get out more; probably don’t want to accidently clone yourself.
                    Mirroring the insult only works when you don't resemble the remark. One who is neutral as to consequences invariably hasn't experienced them in any meaningful way.

Comment

Mirroring the insult only works when you don't resemble the remark. One who is neutral as to consequences invariably hasn't experienced them in any meaningful way.
                      This is content-free drivel (you should try to imagine this being written with a constructive and helpful smile). Please try harder.
                      Last edited by firstfloor; 11-19-2014, 05:45 AM.

Comment

This is content-free drivel (you should try to imagine this being written with a constructive and helpful smile). Please try harder.
                        How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Comment

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
                          Oh sorry, what I meant to say was: You fight like a dairy farmer.

Comment

• Can't we all just get along?

Comment

Can't we all just get along?
                              No worries CP. I think that was a Monkey Island joke (if he got it) between me and Epo.
                              http://www.worldofmi.com/gamehelp/insults/mi1.php

Comment

Can't we all just get along?
                                No.

Comment