Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The difference between harrassment and compliments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between harrassment and compliments.

An interesting question in another thread was what exactly constituted the line between when men go over the line with women. Some people indicate that men just can't help it, and so should be excused almost no matter what they do (short of rape and grabbing), which is nonsense as men aren't animals. Others go in the opposite direction and say that even the mere saying 'hello' in a non-suggestive way is harrasment.

Lets make it easy.

Edited by a Moderator

EDIT: DarthEx is not allowed to post in this thread.
    Last edited by Sparko; 11-12-2014, 08:37 AM.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    An interesting question in another thread was what exactly constituted the line between when men go over the line with women. Some people indicate that men just can't help it, and so should be excused almost no matter what they do (short of rape and grabbing), which is nonsense as men aren't animals. Others go in the opposite direction and say that even the mere saying 'hello' in a non-suggestive way is harrasment.

Lets make it easy.

Edited by a Moderator

Ok, what exactly is the difference between say you have nice hair or nice breasts? I mean they are both body parts.
    Last edited by Jedidiah; 11-11-2014, 04:15 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Ok, what exactly is the difference between say you have nice hair or nice breasts?
      The rejection of the compliment.

Comment

Lets make it easy.

Edited by a Moderator

Did the bolded happen in the other thread?
        Last edited by Jedidiah; 11-11-2014, 04:17 PM. Reason: Language not acceptable
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Ok, what exactly is the difference between say you have nice hair or nice breasts? I mean they are both body parts.
          Seriously?

Comment

There's a difference of sexually implicitness. When a man compliments a womans breasts he's saying "Right now I find you really sexually attractive, and I want you to know." and a woman complimenting on another womans hair "That's really neat what you did with that, it suits you."
            Last edited by Leonhard; 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Seriously?

Well Adrift, it is a new day - we all need to be more open minded!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

There's a difference of sexually implicitness. When a man compliments a womans breasts he's saying "Right now I find you really sexually attractive, and I want you to know." and a woman complimenting on another womans hair "That's really neat what you did with that, it suits you."
                So how is the former necessarily harassment?

Comment

Well Adrift, it is a new day - we all need to be more open minded!
                  I think my brain is leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    So how is the former necessarily harassment?
                    Because unless you're in a discotek, you cannot presume that when you approach a woman that she wants sexual advances.

Comment

What is wrong with finding a woman sexually attractive? What if I said to a woman, nicely, "you know, you are a very sexy lady." Is that necessarily harassment? (BTW - I don't not speak to women that way based on my Christian ethics).

Comment

What is wrong with finding a woman sexually attractive? What if I said to a woman, nicely, "you know, you are a very sexy lady." Is that necessarily harassment? (BTW - I don't not speak to women that way based on my Christian ethics).
                        So you consider it bad, yet you wonder why its wrong? I need to get you right here Seer, because if you don't talk like that women because your Christian ethics... why do you wonder if its bad?

It would be sufficient to say that the majority of women find mens sexual advances uncomfortable most of the time. If this was it alone, that would be sufficient to say why we shouldn't do it. However beyond that I think its fair to say that approaching women sexually like what you're saying, is always wrong, because unless you're married to her, you have no right to be sexually involved with her.

And you shouldn't get married to her, simple because she's an attractive woman to you.

Comment

Because unless you're in a discotek, you cannot presume that when you approach a woman that she wants sexual advances.
                          So how is that necessarily harassment?

Comment

What is wrong with finding a woman sexually attractive?.
                            Didn't catch this at first, but this is a strawman: I did not ask you to become a stoic. If you find someone attractive, sexually... big breasts, nice lips, nice firm bottom, fine.

Why is that the first thing you'd want to tell her? Someone you've never met. Not that its nice to see her around, no its nice to see her breasts. I kinda don't like that, and I can definitely see why many women don't like being treated like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                              So how is that necessarily harassment?
                              I hope this doesn't turn into a postmodern question game: Inorder for something to qualify as sexual harrasment, in this case not comparable to persistent sexual harrasment, its sufficient for it to be unwanted and unneeded. Since most sexual advances are unwanted by women, in most contexts, then it can constitute a light form of sexual harrasment.

Comment