Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Finally: Tolerant Liberals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally: Tolerant Liberals!

Kudos for Kathy and Diane!

T-Shirt Maker Who Refused to Print Gay Pride Shirts Is Being Punished — but These Lesbian Business Owners Reveal Why They’re Supporting Him

Kathy Trautvetter and Diane DiGeloromo, a lesbian couple who own and operate BMP T-shirts, a New Jersey-based printing company, sat down with Glenn Beck Thursday night to explain why they are standing up for an embattled Christian printer who refused to make shirts for a gay pride festival.

Trautvetter and DiGeloromo have openly defended the right of Blaine Adamson, owner of Hands on Originals, a Kentucky-based T-shirt company, to decline an order for the Gay and Lesbian Services Organization of Lexington — a refusal that local officials in Lexington say violates the law.

“I know how hard it is to build a business and it’s very personal,” Trautvetter said, noting that she put herself in Adamson’s position and felt compelled to defend him. “You put your blood and your sweat and your tears into every bit of it.”

DiGeloromo said that the couple has received positive responses thus far from the public for taking a stand in support of Adamson and his religious conscience, despite the fact that they clearly have ideological disagreements with him when it comes to sexuality.

“We feel this really isn’t a gay or straight issue. This is a human issue,” DiGeloromo said. “No one really should be forced to do something against what they believe in. It’s as simple as that.”

She said that if BMP T-shirts were to be approached by the virulently anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church, for instance, that the couple would not want to provide services to the group.

I highly doubt we would be doing business with them,” DiGeloromo said. “We would be very angry if we were forced to do so.”
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-pride-shirts/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Good on them!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Good on them!

I love this line: “We feel this really isn’t a gay or straight issue. This is a human issue,” DiGeloromo said. “No one really should be forced to do something against what they believe in. It’s as simple as that.”

What I have been say for years and getting loads grief.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I love this line: “We feel this really isn’t a gay or straight issue. This is a human issue,” DiGeloromo said. “No one really should be forced to do something against what they believe in. It’s as simple as that.”

Yup.

There is a conservative arm of the gay community in Canada who takes this sort of stand. Unfortunately they seem to be always drowned out by the liberal side.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yup.

There is a conservative arm of the gay community in Canada who takes this sort of stand. Unfortunately they seem to be always drowned out by the liberal side.
          I have two sets of lesbian couples that are inlaws - on most issues they are at least as conservative as me.
          Last edited by seer; 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Yup.

There is a conservative arm of the gay community in Canada who takes this sort of stand. Unfortunately they seem to be always drowned out by the liberal militant side.
            fify
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because you mistakenly think that asking someone who runs a public accommodation to obey the law and serve without discrimination is somehow akin to being asked to print a message that goes against one's beliefs. Or that being asked to bake a cake is somehow equivalent to "being forced to do something against what they believe in."
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                Because you mistakenly think that asking someone who runs a public accommodation to obey the law and serve without discrimination is somehow akin to being asked to print a message that goes against one's beliefs. Or that being asked to bake a cake is somehow equivalent to "being forced to do something against what they believe in."

Well the lesbian couple in that link were the ones that said that. And I agree 100% - they get it square even if you don't...

Comment

Well the lesbian couple in that link were the ones that said that. And I agree 100% - they get it square even if you don't...
                  Baking a cake is NOT the same thing as being forced to do something against your beliefs. If you were told to print a specific message on the cake, sure, but not merely baking a cake.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Baking a cake is NOT the same thing as being forced to do something against your beliefs. If you were told to print a specific message on the cake, sure, but not merely baking a cake.
                    This isn't about a cake. That was another thread.

This is about printing a message on a t-shirt.

So I take it then, in the light of that, that you will agree that the lesbian couple in the op are taking the correct stand.

Comment

So I take it then, in the light of that, that you will agree that the lesbian couple in the op are taking the correct stand.
                      Yeah!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And let me ask you about this, square.

The women in the article said:

She said that if BMP T-shirts were to be approached by the virulently anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church, for instance, that the couple would not want to provide services to the group.

“I highly doubt we would be doing business with them,” DiGeloromo said. “We would be very angry if we were forced to do so.”
                        Would these women be incorrect, and should they be forced to do business with a group that they disagree vehemently with?

Comment

We have friends who have a very successful T-shirt / branding business. They have a huge sign in their lobby that says "We reserve the right to NOT print anything that we find distasteful for whatever reason".

I think that's cool!

Comment

Wheter or not baking a cake goes against your beliefs would surely depend on the cake in question and the beliefs in question, would it not?

Comment

Yes, I do. I was simply explaining to seer why he's been criticized when he made a similar statement--because he applied it to cases in which it didn't apply.

Comment