Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama: Doubling Down on Incompetence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama: Doubling Down on Incompetence

This is his second major "shellacking", but he still doesn't get it.

Source: National Journal

November 5, 2014 Shellacked and thumped by an angry electorate, President Obama declared to every American who voted in Tuesday's elections—and to those who've checked out of the political process—"I hear you."

And then he ignored them.

From all appearances Wednesday, the president won't change—not his policies, not his style, not his staff, not nothing. Defiant and begrudging, the president said he would meet with GOP leaders, seek their suggestions for common ground, and maybe grab a drink with Senate Majority Leader-to-Be Mitch McConnell.

Beyond that, meh. "It's probably premature" to consider personnel changes, Obama said when pressed by a reporter for the type of reflection and resetting undertaken by President Clinton after his 1994 midterm trouncing.

Moments earlier, McConnell urged Obama not to take executive action to legalize undocumented immigrants, saying such a momentous policy change by fiat would "be like waving a red flag in front of a bull." The newly reelected Kentucky senator also called it a "poison pill."

Obama shrugged. While willing to consider any immigration legislation passed by the GOP-controlled Congress, "What I'm not going to do," Obama said, "is wait."

© Copyright Original Source

Sounds pretty much like his "I have a phone and a pen" malarkey.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

He doesn't have to change anything when the Reps have indicated they're willing to compromise with Obama on issues, such as immigration. The only thing that he might butt heads with them is the next round of budget talks (which may not even be a problem either as there is no other smooth solution but increase spending).

Comment

I do not buy this whole incompetence idea. He is competent enough to have brought the nation to it's collective knees. We were once upon a time a great nation. Today - not so much.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I do not buy this whole incompetence idea. He is competent enough to have brought the nation to it's collective knees. We were once upon a time a great nation. Today - not so much.
        I've seen several businesses brought down by incompetence. Governments in other countries have in the past been brought down through incompetence. We are not exempt.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Sounds pretty much like his "I have a phone and a pen" malarkey.
          Hee hee. Y'all just can't get over the fact he won two elections, can you?

Comment

A midterm election with apparently historically low turnout and an abnormally high percent of the over-60 crowd represented. If you're looking for a more representative sample of American opinion, do you use 2012 or 2014?
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Hee hee. Y'all just can't get over the fact he won two elections, can you?
              It's just amazing there are that many gullible people!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Unless you compare how things are today, with how things were when he took office. Unemployment? WAY down. Stock market? WAY up. Annual deficit: WAY down. GDP? WAY up. Yes, this is a nation on its knees, OK. Oh, and let's not forget what Obama inherited, against which current numbers are being compared. Who was responsible for that inheritance?

Nobody is going to argue that Obama has managed to repair ALL the damage he inherited. That would be asking too much.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                  Unless you compare how things are today, with how things were when he took office. Unemployment? WAY down. Stock market? WAY up. Annual deficit: WAY down. GDP? WAY up. Yes, this is a nation on its knees, OK. Oh, and let's not forget what Obama inherited, against which current numbers are being compared. Who was responsible for that inheritance?

Nobody is going to argue that Obama has managed to repair ALL the damage he inherited. That would be asking too much.
                  I get it --- Blame Bush!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    A midterm election with apparently historically low turnout and an abnormally high percent of the over-60 crowd represented. If you're looking for a more representative sample of American opinion, do you use 2012 or 2014?
                    There remains a serious image problem, and for this you must give Republicans credit, because they have been working on that since day one. The strategy is simple: vote often unanimously against every proposal (even if it's a plank of your own party platform), then blame Obama for not doing anything. It works!

So look what we have today: low unemployment, record-breaking stock markets, recovered home prices, improved national health. And look what we SEE in response to this (Cow Poke, Jedediah and others). Evidence DOES NOT MATTER to the ideologically committed. We have a Republican who spends two terms running the economy right into the ground, a Democrat who spends 2 terms rescuing it, and our forum Republicans are as blind as ever. Alas, it seems the public is too.

Well, we can take whatever solace we can find in the knowledge that whatever we suffer, we VOLUNTEERED for it at the polls.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I get it --- Blame Bush!
                      No, credit Obama. He inherited a disaster, and he engineered a recovery despite bozos like you kicking and screaming all the way.

And I notice you completely ignored the changes since 2008. I wonder why?
                      Last edited by phank; 11-05-2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

low unemployment
                        Might you care to elaborate on another aspect of unemployment? The Labor Participation Rate?

Comment

No, credit Obama. He inherited a disaster, and he engineered a recovery despite bozos like you kicking and screaming all the way.

Comment

There remains a serious image problem, and for this you must give Republicans credit, because they have been working on that since day one. The strategy is simple: vote often unanimously against every proposal (even if it's a plank of your own party platform), then blame Obama for not doing anything. It works!

So look what we have today: low unemployment, record-breaking stock markets, recovered home prices, improved national health. And look what we SEE in response to this (Cow Poke, Jedediah and others). Evidence DOES NOT MATTER to the ideologically committed. We have a Republican who spends two terms running the economy right into the ground, a Democrat who spends 2 terms rescuing it, and our forum Republicans are as blind as ever. Alas, it seems the public is too.

Well, we can take whatever solace we can find in the knowledge that whatever we suffer, we VOLUNTEERED for it at the polls.
                            So why do members of his own party run from him like rats from a sinking ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              You use the 2012 election for 2012 and the 2014 election for 2014. If people sat home that also tells you something about the present mood of the electorate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment