Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion and Feminism split from "Look at me" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or we could name this thread "Why Do Liberals Hate Babies So Much?"
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      An anti abortion thread is a good thread.
      Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        An unborn child is a human being. What other kind of being could it be? And person hood is a completely arbitrary designation, not worthy of serious debate.
        Unless you want to accept the assertion that you have "zero moral ground" to complain about objectification or victimization because you accept or advocate the slaughter of pigs, cows, cephalopods or other animals for food, a definition of personhood is neither arbitrary nor unworthy of serious debate.
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Sorry Leonhard, I'm tried of playing nice with feminists.
          When have you ever?
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            When have you ever?
            A long time ago.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Unless you want to accept the assertion that you have "zero moral ground" to complain about objectification or victimization because you accept or advocate the slaughter of pigs, cows, cephalopods or other animals for food, a definition of personhood is neither arbitrary nor unworthy of serious debate.
              Nonsense - animals are not human beings created in the image of God. Killing an animal is not murder. And person hood as defining characteristic is pure Edited by a Moderator.
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Nonsense - animals are not human beings created in the image of God. Killing an animal is not murder. And person hood as defining characteristic is pure Edited by a Moderator
                You claimed that "personhood" was an arbitrary distinction. If so, then "personhood" can be arbitrarily defined so as to include animals. Are you arguing that the definition of personhood is arbitrary or are you arguing that it cannot be so defined so as to include animals?

If you agree that the definition of personhood is not arbitrary then you concede that a discussion of the definition of personhood is both worthy of debate and fundamental to argument for or against abortion.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

You claimed that "personhood" was an arbitrary distinction. If so, then "personhood" can be arbitrarily defined so as to include animals. Are you arguing that the definition of personhood is arbitrary or are you arguing that it cannot be so defined so as to include animals?
                  I didn't suggest that it was so arbitrary that it could include rocks. Sine we are defining human beings, or attempting to define human beings, that is where the argument lies.

If you agree that the definition of personhood is not arbitrary then you concede that a discussion of the definition of personhood is both worthy of debate and fundamental to argument for or against abortion.
                  No, I don't agree at all. Look at the quote - who is correct? Which definition is correct? How do we know which definition is correct? So don't tell me this is not arbitrary - it clearly is.

Western philosophy

In philosophy, the word "person" may refer to various concepts. According to the "naturalist" epistemological tradition, from Descartes through Locke and Hume, the term may designate any human (or non-human) agent which: (1) possesses continuous consciousness over time; and (2) who is therefore capable of framing representations about the world, formulating plans and acting on them.[7]

According to Charles Taylor, the problem with the naturalist view is that it depends solely on a "performance criterion" to determine what is an agent. Thus, other things (e.g. machines or animals) that exhibit "similarly complex adaptive behaviour" could not be distinguished from persons. Instead, Taylor proposes a significance-based view of personhood:

What is crucial about agents is that things matter to them. We thus cannot simply identify agents by a performance criterion, nor assimilate animals to machines... [likewise] there are matters of significance for human beings which are peculiarly human, and have no analogue with animals.
                  —[8]

Others, such as American Philosopher Francis J. Beckwith, argue that personhood is not linked to function at all, but rather that it is the underlying personal unity of the individual.

What is crucial morally is the being of a person, not his or her functioning. A human person does not come into existence when human function arises, but rather, a human person is an entity who has the natural inherent capacity to give rise to human functions, whether or not those functions are ever attained. …A human person who lacks the ability to think rationally (either because she is too young or she suffers from a disability) is still a human person because of her nature. Consequently, it makes sense to speak of a human being’s lack if and only if she is an actual person.
                  —[9]

Philosopher J. P. Moreland clarifies this point:

It is because an entity has an essence and falls within a natural kind that it can possess a unity of dispositions, capacities, parts and properties at a given time and can maintain identity through change.
                  —[10]

Harry G. Frankfurt writes that, "What philosophers have lately come to accept as analysis of the concept of a person is not actually analysis of that concept at all." He suggests that the concept of a person is intimately connected to free will, and describes the structure of human volition according to first- and second-order desires:

Besides wanting and choosing and being moved to do this or that, [humans] may also want to have (or not to have) certain desires and motives. They are capable of wanting to be different, in their preferences and purposes, from what they are. Many animals appear to have the capacity for what I shall call "first-order desires" or "desires of the first order," which are simply desires to do or not to do one thing or another. No animal other than man, however, appears to have the capacity for reflective self-evaluation that is manifested in the formation of second-order desires.
                  —[11]

[12]

The criteria for being a person... are designed to capture those attributes which are the subject of our most humane concern with ourselves and the source of what we regard as most important and most problematical in our lives.
                  —Harry G. Frankfurt

According to Nikolas Kompridis, there might also be an intersubjective, or interpersonal, basis to personhood:

What if personal identity is constituted in, and sustained through, our relations with others, such that were we to erase our relations with our significant others we would also erase the conditions of our self-intelligibility? As it turns out, this erasure... is precisely what is experimentally dramatized in the “science fiction” film, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, a far more philosophically sophisticated meditation on personal identity than is found in most of the contemporary literature on the topic.
                  —[13]

Other philosophers have defined persons in different ways. Boethius gives the definition of "person" as "an individual substance of a rational nature" ("Naturæ rationalis individua substantia").[14] Peter Singer defines a “person” as being a conscious, thinking being, which knows that it is a person (self-awareness).[15]

Philosopher Thomas I. White argues that the criteria for a person are as follows: (1) is alive, (2) is aware, (3) feels positive and negative sensations, (4) has emotions, (5) has a sense of self, (6) controls its own behaviour, (7) recognises other persons and treats them appropriately, and (8) has a variety of sophisticated cognitive abilities. While many of White's criteria are somewhat anthropocentric, some animals such as dolphins would still be considered persons.[16] Some animal rights groups have also championed recognition for animals as "persons".[17]
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personhood

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    No, one can't.
                    Sure one can. The fact that there is even a serious debate over it clearly shows that. I don't agree with the case, but a case can certainly be made.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    What would be an example of an extreme case?
                    If carrying the fetus to term would severely threaten the mother's life, then I believe it would be morally permissible to abort, for instance.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      Sure one can. The fact that there is even a serious debate over it clearly shows that. I don't agree with the case, but a case can certainly be made.
                      The problem is that it ISN'T a serious debate. Biologically ignorant masses have simply yelled so loud that it LOOKS like there is a conversation going on.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I didn't suggest that it was so arbitrary that it could include rocks. Sine we are defining human beings, or attempting to define human beings, that is where the argument lies.

No, I don't agree at all. Look at the quote - who is correct? Which definition is correct? How do we know which definition is correct? So don't tell me this is not arbitrary - it clearly is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personhood
                        We are not defining "human beings." We are defining "persons." If you agree that a definition of personhood cannot include rocks, you are agreeing that the definition is not arbitrary. If the definition is not arbitrary then it is based on rational criteria. If it is based on rational criteria then it is worthwhile to discuss what those criteria are and whether a human fetus meets that criteria.

Just because you cannot parse competing definitions of personhood or disagree with others' criteria does not mean the definition is arbitrary. Welcome to the world of philosophy: it's complicated.

Comment

We are not defining "human beings." We are defining "persons." If you agree that a definition of personhood cannot include rocks, you are agreeing that the definition is not arbitrary. If the definition is not arbitrary then it is based on rational criteria. If it is based on rational criteria then it is worthwhile to discuss what those criteria are and whether a human fetus meets that criteria.

Just because you cannot parse competing definitions of personhood or disagree with others' criteria does not mean the definition is arbitrary. Welcome to the world of philosophy: it's complicated.
                          Why does the abortion debate have to be about the definition of "personhood"? AFAICT, any pro-abortion definitions of "personhood" also seem to exclude newborns, as well (though most abortion advocates, understandably, won't even come close to saying that themselves.)
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

We are not defining "human beings." We are defining "persons." If you agree that a definition of personhood cannot include rocks, you are agreeing that the definition is not arbitrary. If the definition is not arbitrary then it is based on rational criteria. If it is based on rational criteria then it is worthwhile to discuss what those criteria are and whether a human fetus meets that criteria

Listen Sam, believe it or not, I have been around this discussion enough to know that there is no "rational criteria" that will be acceptable to all or most. It is a completely subjective endeavor. If you think otherwise, of the number of different definitions I listed, tells us all which one is correct and why. And that is why when deciding who should live or die the definition of person hood should not even enter the debate.
                            Last edited by seer; 11-04-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Why does the abortion debate have to be about the definition of "personhood"? AFAICT, any pro-abortion definitions of "personhood" also seem to exclude newborns, as well (though most abortion advocates, understandably, won't even come close to saying that themselves.)
                              That's pretty clearly untrue: many pro-choice definitions of "personhood" include viable human fetuses and therefore necessarily include neonates as persons.

The abortion debate has to include the definition of "person" as a fundamental premise because we're talking about the legal rights afforded to fetuses. If a human fetus is a "person," it has the legal rights afforded to all persons. If a human fetus is not a "person" then it does not necessarily have the legal rights afforded to all persons. One could argue that human fetuses are not persons before a given gestational age but still argue that they should be afforded certain protections (similar to how we protect domesticated animals in certain situations) — but one could not argue that such protections are pursuant to the constitutionally-protected rights of a fetus.

Comment

That's pretty clearly untrue: many pro-choice definitions of "personhood" include viable human fetuses and therefore necessarily include neonates as persons.

The abortion debate has to include the definition of "person" as a fundamental premise because we're talking about the legal rights afforded to fetuses. If a human fetus is a "person," it has the legal rights afforded to all persons. If a human fetus is not a "person" then it does not necessarily have the legal rights afforded to all persons. One could argue that human fetuses are not persons before a given gestational age but still argue that they should be afforded certain protections (similar to how we protect domesticated animals in certain situations) — but one could not argue that such protections are pursuant to the constitutionally-protected rights of a fetus.
                                I suppose my question is, why isn't "human" enough as a classification?
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment