Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Midterm Polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midterm Polls

What’s the craic? Why is Obama so unpopular? How bad is a lame duck president?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    What’s the craic?
    Word on the street is that Republicans will gain control of the senate -- only question seems to be is "by how much".

Why is Obama so unpopular?
    Because he's completely incompetent.

How bad is a lame duck president?
    Some are worse than others, voter discretion advised.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I will hasten to add - NOTHING will surprise me tonight.... the Republicans have an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I am INCLINED to believe they will win the majority in the Senate, but I'm not holding my breath. On the other hand, it's all about "turn out" --- it's possible that the Democrats may stay home in larger numbers due to lack of excitement, OR it's possible that overconfidence will cause Republicans to stay home thinking "we have this in the bag".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What is craic? Is this some newfangled slang I'm not hip to?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          What is craic? Is this some newfangled slang I'm not hip to?
          Scuttlebutt, gossip, the talk....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I will hasten to add - NOTHING will surprise me tonight.... the Republicans have an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Exactly! And if we can't win the Senate in this political climate I fear for the country.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Word on the street is that Republicans will gain control of the senate -- only question seems to be is "by how much".
              Seems likely but there are so many close races that it really is still up in the air. The Republicans could well win those they were hoping to take but lose a couple that they weren't expecting to lose like in Kansas and here in Georgia.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm really paying attention to my state's governor race (Kansas). Sam Brownback's deep tax cuts have proven to be politically unpopular to the point that Republican politicians in other states are taking it as a lesson not to cut to that extent. This race may be seen as something of a broader referendum. (Of course, since this is Kansas, his opponent is a very moderate Democrat.)

The Senate race here is very strange too. The Democrat dropped out because his campaign was going nowhere but poll numbers showed that the Independent running would at least have a shot if his name didn't appear on the ballot.

However, the Democrat still has a massive billboard on I-35 heading into Kansas City. I find that amusing.
                Last edited by KingsGambit; 11-04-2014, 10:38 AM.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Anything is possible - but it is very likely the Republicans will take the Senate and it is possible they will take it by a decent margin. Failing to take it is in the same category as getting a super majority - possible but really not likely.

Lame duck means the other side doesn't really have to deal with you - they can wait you out. It limits a president's power - especially when he doesn't have a Congress of the same party. In this case, if you are a Dem, it's really bad. If you are a Repub, it's really good.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

(Also, I'm hoping there's an interesting in having an open thread tonight as returns come in. I hate politics but I'm fascinated by it at the same time and watching returns come in is like Christmas.)

Comment

I can't be online tonight - no home computer...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If Republicans take the Senate they will push amnesty and Obama will sign it.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          I can't be online tonight - no home computer...
                          If I inherit $3 million from a distant relative I've never met, I promise to buy you a computer.

Comment

Aww, thanks...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I hate politics but I'm fascinated by it at the same time
                              I agree.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment