Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Dems are Getting Desperate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart - she slams her own constituents...

Louisiana Democrat Sen. Mary Landrieu said Thursday that the issue of race is a major reason that President Barack Obama has struggled politically in Southern states.

“I'll be very, very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Americans,” Landrieu told NBC News in an interview. “It's been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader."

Noting that the South is “more of a conservative place,” she added that women have also faced challenges in “presenting ourselves.”
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet...ricans-n237826
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      A helpful pie chart of seer-speak:
      Thanks square, that should help others see the truth more clearly! Good to see that we are on the same page!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Donate to theologyweb or the black helicopter drones will pay you a visit. Just sayin'

Comment

There are none so annoying as those who say vague dog excrement and refuse to explain.

If you think there's a problem, then explain it. Show me what's wrong with it. Don't snidely sit there and post vapid proverbs that you probably ripped off a fortune cookie. And don't accuse me of refusing to not see a problem.
          Looks like I hit a nerve. And you can't even regurgitate what I posted accurately. I am not accusing you of refusing to not see a problem. I am accusing you of refusing to see a) the organic connection between fascism (and communism as put into practice) and the nanny state seer often decries and b) refusing to see the threat implicit in the letter. The letter makes nebulous threats that people will be made to regret not voting.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            There are none so blind as those who will not see.
            You can say that again.

Comment

There are none so annoying as those who say vague dog excrement and refuse to explain.
              You're having a bad day, SP..... might want to take a walk or something.

If you think there's a problem, then explain it. Show me what's wrong with it. Don't snidely sit there and post vapid proverbs that you probably ripped off a fortune cookie. And don't accuse me of refusing to not see a problem.
              Wow
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Looks like I hit a nerve. And you can't even regurgitate what I posted accurately. I am not accusing you of refusing to not see a problem. I am accusing you of refusing to see a) the organic connection between fascism (and communism as put into practice) and the nanny state seer often decries and b) refusing to see the threat implicit in the letter.
                And you believe that those are problems. So since you accused me of "refusing" to see those things, you're by logical extension accusing me of refusing to see a problem, rather than realizing that I simply don't understand what the problem is and explaining it to me.

I mean, seriously--why would you assume that I refuse to see something? Do you normally do this with other people in other areas of life--conclude that if they disagree with you on something, they must be refusing to see your point of view rather than simply not comprehending what it is?

The letter makes nebulous threats that people will be made to regret not voting.
                And that's the part that I don't understand. What part of the letter is threatening? It simply says "Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record. We will be reviewing voting records to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014. If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not." I have always been open about the fact that I don't vote and would have no qualms explaining that to a committee. And I'd have no qualms with letting people know whether I did or didn't vote. I've never thought of that as shameful in any way.

So please, help me understand where the rest of you are coming from--what part is threatening, and how so? What am I missing here?
                Last edited by fm93; 10-31-2014, 05:09 PM.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

It's distasteful, at the very least. Of course, it's nothing compared to good ol' Mitch:

McConnell Mailers Imply Ky. Voters Are Involved In 'Election Violation'

xfzelvbyirt1jnnpmzcb.jpg
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Oh, wow. Square_Peg does not vote. I don't either. Now, if someone is interested in why not, a reason is that voting is a waste of time and resources. What are the chances my vote would make a difference of the sort that I want? Snowballs have a better chance in Hell. More to the point, the fact that neither SP nor I vote may mean I'm a nutcase all right, just as Sparko more than once suggested.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      Oh, wow. Square_Peg does not vote. I don't either. Now, if someone is interested in why not, a reason is that voting is a waste of time and resources. What are the chances my vote would make a difference of the sort that I want? Snowballs have a better chance in Hell. More to the point, the fact that neither SP nor I vote may mean I'm a nutcase all right, just as Sparko more than once suggested.
                      I've been voting in every election here, and in Texas before I got here, since 1968. I don't think I have voted for a single winning candidate (or in the case of President, for a single slate of electors to the electoral college who supported my candidate). Tuesday, I go down to the Baptist Church and vote for another slate of losers. It's become a tradition. Those who DO win every election have led Alabama into being one of the poorest, unhealthiest, most uneducated states in the nation. Polls say those people will win again, often so overwhelmingly they run unopposed, continuing this stellar leadership into the future.

The same sorts of candidates and policies will, of course, win resounding victories in Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia... They will then compete to see whose state can win the battle to be the most backward benighted state in the union. Currently, Mississippi has a slight edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        It's distasteful, at the very least. Of course, it's nothing compared to good ol' Mitch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2497[/ATTACH]
                        Yep. I hate misleading flyers and scare tactics and both sides do it. It is despicable.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                          I've been voting in every election here, and in Texas before I got here, since 1968. I don't think I have voted for a single winning candidate (or in the case of President, for a single slate of electors to the electoral college who supported my candidate). Tuesday, I go down to the Baptist Church and vote for another slate of losers. It's become a tradition. Those who DO win every election have led Alabama into being one of the poorest, unhealthiest, most uneducated states in the nation. Polls say those people will win again, often so overwhelmingly they run unopposed, continuing this stellar leadership into the future.

The same sorts of candidates and policies will, of course, win resounding victories in Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia... They will then compete to see whose state can win the battle to be the most backward benighted state in the union. Currently, Mississippi has a slight edge.
                          The quality of the people matters much more than that of their government. Unless I vote with the people, and I don't want to, I won't get what I want.
                          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

And you believe that those are problems. So since you accused me of "refusing" to see those things, you're by logical extension accusing me of refusing to see a problem, rather than realizing that I simply don't understand what the problem is and explaining it to me.
                            Er, that's your language, not mine. Your painting of seer (with whom I do not always agree) as wrong 100% of the time is a refusal to consider that he might be right on something. I guarantee you that if conservatives were in power and pulling the same tricks the Obama administration is, liberals would be howling at least as loudly about fascism.
                            I mean, seriously--why would you assume that I refuse to see something? Do you normally do this with other people in other areas of life--conclude that if they disagree with you on something, they must be refusing to see your point of view rather than simply not comprehending what it is?
                            Don't like it much when your own tactic is used on you, do you?
                            And that's the part that I don't understand. What part of the letter is threatening? It simply says "Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record. We will be reviewing voting records to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014. If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not." I have always been open about the fact that I don't vote and would have no qualms explaining that to a committee. And I'd have no qualms with letting people know whether I did or didn't vote. I've never thought of that as shameful in any way.

So please, help me understand where the rest of you are coming from--what part is threatening, and how so? What am I missing here?
                            It is all too easy to see "we will be interested to hear why you didn't vote" as the Inquisition saying, "we will be interested to hear why you are not a heretic." They're being deliberately vague, and letting people's imaginations fill in the potential consequences, but it's an unmistakable strong-arm tactic intended to goad people into voting.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Er, that's your language, not mine. Your painting of seer (with whom I do not always agree) as wrong 100% of the time is a refusal to consider that he might be right on something. I guarantee you that if conservatives were in power and pulling the same tricks the Obama administration is, liberals would be howling at least as loudly about fascism.

Don't like it much when your own tactic is used on you, do you?

It is all too easy to see "we will be interested to hear why you didn't vote" as the Inquisition saying, "we will be interested to hear why you are not a heretic." They're being deliberately vague, and letting people's imaginations fill in the potential consequences, but it's an unmistakable strong-arm tactic intended to goad people into voting.

Yep. it is saying "Vote or else! We know who you are!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2497[/ATTACH]
                                Sorry, this is no worse than the example in the OP. I don't like the use of the phrase in large letters, but if you take the time to read past it, then the mailers imply no such thing.

sigpic

Comment