Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Dems are Getting Desperate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dems are Getting Desperate!

Really?

Democrats are telling voters that they had better head to the polls — or else.

The New York State Democratic Committee is bullying people into voting next week with intimidating letters warning that it can easily find out which slackers fail to cast a ballot next Tuesday.

Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record,” the letter says.

We will be reviewing voting records . . . to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014.”

It ends with a line better suited to a mob movie than a major political party: “If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not.”
    http://nypost.com/2014/10/30/democra...-to-the-polls/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Is there any reason whether someone voted needs to be publicly available?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Is there any reason whether someone voted needs to be publicly available?
        Seems kind of fascist, doesn't it...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Studying voter participation is fascist?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            Threatening people who choose not to vote, as is their right, is fascist.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yes...

"Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record,” the letter says.

We will be reviewing voting records . . . to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014.”

“If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not.

Comment

It's entirely legal, but if I were a voter in NY, it would make me rethink whether I wanted to support a party willing to resort to such tactics.

Kind of like how my state, which is as red as it gets, is possibly seeing Democrats win governor, Senator, and Secretary of State next week. There's been a backlash over just how far to the right the party went.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A helpful pie chart of seer-speak:

communist pie chart.png

I don't see what's "threatening" about the letter. There are neutral party websites that collect information on whether people voted in an election and makes it publicly accessible information. This doesn't seem like anything new or disturbing, especially since they said they wouldn't reveal who you voted for.
                  Last edited by fm93; 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

The natural next step of the "Vote or Die" campaign from 2006?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      A helpful pie chart of seer-speak:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2488[/ATTACH]

I don't see what's "threatening" about the letter. There are neutral party websites that collect information on whether people voted in an election and makes it publicly accessible information. This doesn't seem like anything new or disturbing, especially since they said they wouldn't reveal who you voted for.
                      There are none so blind as those who will not see.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        There are none so annoying as those who say vague dog excrement and refuse to explain.

If you think there's a problem, then explain it. Show me what's wrong with it. Don't snidely sit there and post vapid proverbs that you probably ripped off a fortune cookie. And don't accuse me of refusing to not see a problem.
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          This is called "vote shaming;" it's been done for a while and is apparently empirically effective. Republican groups caught flak for doing this up in Alaska towards the beginning of this week and supporters of Rick Scott's campaign also did something similar. Here's the 2008 study finding vote shaming to be an effective means of increasing voter turnout.

It is, however, straight-up creepy.
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

And, for whatever it's worth, control of the Senate is still more or less a tossup, according to the polls. This is normal last-minute GOTV stuff we deal with every election year.
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Sam hit the nail on the head; it demonstrably works, so objectively speaking, there seems to be little incentive as of now to refrain. Perhaps if some major donors started withholding their dollars? (No I am not defending the practice)

Comment