Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's Confirmed, Men Are Pigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    You were wrong when you said "a lot of men".
    "A lot" is the same as "many," not "a majority." I don't think there's any way to argue that a lot of men don't catcall or sexually harass women.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think in general it shows the attitude of the women more than anything else. Feminists like to claim they are equal to men and rant and rage a lot, but when it comes down to it, they are scared of someone even saying "hello" to them on the street.
      That perhaps may be the case in some parts, however, such notions are nonexistent here in Latinamerica where catcalling is disgustingly rampant (New York City is tame compared to say Mexico DF or Bogota). Combined that many of us here do rarely greet each other in the street. I remember that it personally bothered me on some of my first visits in USA whenever I got greeted on public spaces, it took me a while get used to the idea of public greetings (a practice that is slowly dying here in Latinamerica because of the rampant danger of organized crime).

Catholicity is right. Down here, most southern women would verbally castrate you if you harassed them - they are not as afraid as a group as some of these yankee feminists are. Then they would go home and fry some chicken and bake a pie.
      And that is good, I wish more women would emulate that to be frankly honest.

But on the other hand, I am of the idea that silence is virtue, and this compulsion to greet folk out in public spaces, quite unnecessary either way. And I tend to endorse fellow men that when it comes to even greetings, it's best to simply shut the hell up. As was adequately mentioned in another post, we can't read minds, so I'd rather go with the safer option, and simply do NOTHING, just move along and mind your own business when in public spaces. And I tend to be very harsh even amongst my friends whenever they have catcalled a passing lady, resorting to even punching on the shoulder whilst yelling "What is wrong with you!?". It just disgusts me to utter end this insistence of calling out to women in public, a real lack of self control on behalf of the boy.
      Last edited by Andius; 10-30-2014, 07:30 PM.
      Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
      As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
        Not everything I saw in that video was harassment. A lot was, but not all.

I'm also curious to what degree cultural differences play in the perception here. Here in the South, it's considered polite to offer a greeting when you pass someone on the street. You may not offer a greeting to everyone if there are a lot of people walking by (sheer practicality), but it's usually considered a little rude / off-putting to refuse eye contact and to not offer a greeting if you're the only two passing each other on the sidewalk. I wonder: do Northerners find the video, on average, to be more offensive than Southerners?
        Northerners find EVERYTHING more offensive than we Southerners.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

All I was saying is that not everything in that video was harassment. Considering they filmed 10 hours, edited down to 2 minutes and still had several instances of non-harassing greetings in it, it makes me wonder how prevalent catcalling really is in NY? I think we can all agree that the comments by the guys just hanging out on the street catcalling the woman were inappropriate, but some guys just said "hello" while walking by. I don't find that harassing.

and now for your amusement:

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            I did not watch the video and I actually agree with you on this.
            You need to watch it before you decide . It really underscores the arrogance and lack of common civility of this woman to think that all of these greetings were attempts to sexually engage her. The entire video is of her walking around with a scowl on her face and ignoring every greeting that was offered. Some were stupid and immature punks who lack the self respect necessary to respect others, but some were simple greetings of "good morning" to which she apparently lacked the common decency to acknowledge. Is she really so insecure and fearful that she perceives every attempt at hospitality as an episode of harassment?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Catcalling isn't manly behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Catcalling isn't manly behavior.
                I agree, but hey we are just hardwired that way...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  I agree, but hey we are just hardwired that way...
                  Men, also aren't animals so that's no excuse.

Comment

Men, also aren't animals so that's no excuse.
                    Well to our atheist friends we all are just animals...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The irony is that if most guys got catcalled by just one female, it would make their whole day.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        The irony is that if most guys got catcalled by just one female, it would make their whole day.
                        Is that a good excuse?

Comment

Is that a good excuse?
                          It's just irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            All I was saying is that not everything in that video was harassment. Considering they filmed 10 hours, edited down to 2 minutes and still had several instances of non-harassing greetings in it, it makes me wonder how prevalent catcalling really is in NY? I think we can all agree that the comments by the guys just hanging out on the street catcalling the woman were inappropriate, but some guys just said "hello" while walking by. I don't find that harassing.
                            Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            You need to watch it before you decide . It really underscores the arrogance and lack of common civility of this woman to think that all of these greetings were attempts to sexually engage her. The entire video is of her walking around with a scowl on her face and ignoring every greeting that was offered. Some were stupid and immature punks who lack the self respect necessary to respect others, but some were simple greetings of "good morning" to which she apparently lacked the common decency to acknowledge. Is she really so insecure and fearful that she perceives every attempt at hospitality as an episode of harassment?
                            Sparko and Bill, do you think those people saying "hello" were egalitarian with their greeting, or do you think they reserved it for women they find attractive?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              That's a factor of novelty. If you knew, walking out on any given day, that you might have three to ten people wolf-whistle and catcall, would it still make your day? If you knew, instinctively or from experience, that any of those verbal solicitations might be followed by physical intimidation, harassment, or assault, would you still feel great about the first catcall?

I think this sort of statement is only possible to make from the safety of not having experienced catcalling on a daily or even weekly basis.
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                                Sparko and Bill, do you think those people saying "hello" were egalitarian with their greeting, or do you think they reserved it for women they find attractive?
                                Dont know. But neither would she. And why does finding a woman attractive equate harassment? If they said hello to an ugly woman would that still be harassment? How about if they said hello to a guy?

Comment