Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

http://www.timesdispatch.com/busines...a4bcf6878.html

NEW YORK — Apple CEO Tim Cook says he's proud to be gay.

The public declaration, in an essay written for Bloomberg Businessweek, makes Cook the highest-profile business CEO to come out.

Cook said that while he never denied his sexuality, he never publicly acknowledged it, either. The executive said that for years he's been open with many people about his sexual orientation and that plenty of his Apple colleagues know he is gay.

Cook wrote in the column published Thursday that it wasn't an easy choice to publicly disclose that he is gay, but that he felt the acknowledgement could potentially help others.

"I've come to realize that my desire for personal privacy has been holding me back from doing something more important," he wrote.

Cook added that he considers "being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Cook added that he considers "being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
    What an idiot... I guess a pedophile could say the same thing.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Cook wrote in the column published Thursday that it wasn't an easy choice to publicly disclose that he is gay, but that he felt the acknowledgement could potentially help others.

"I've come to realize that my desire for personal privacy has been holding me back from doing something more important," he wrote.
      Bold and commendable. Nice to see someone set aside selfish concerns in order to be a help to others.
      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
        Bold and commendable.
        It is neither bold nor commendable in this day and age. It may have been 30 years ago. Now its just - who cares...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          It is neither bold nor commendable in this day and age. It may have been 30 years ago. Now its just - who cares...
          I think you misunderstood me. I'm not referring to the fact that he's gay. I'm referring to the fact that he's opening up his private life to the public. I would consider that bold and commendable regardless of sexual orientation, if done for similar reasons.
          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

I'd think the many parents of children who killed themselves after thinking it was shameful to be gay or that no one understood them would care. I think the many children around the world who've just started to come to terms with their orientation or have been struggling with the realization for a while would care. I think people who care about others regardless of orientation would care.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not referring to the fact that he's gay. I'm referring to the fact that he's opening up his private life to the public. I would consider that bold and commendable regardless of sexual orientation, if done for similar reasons.
              Nonsense. If I came out publicly as a heterosexual would that too be bold commendable? Really Boxing...

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                I'd think the many parents of children who killed themselves after thinking it was shameful to be gay or that no one understood them would care. I think the many children around the world who've just started to come to terms with their orientation or have been struggling with the realization for a while would care. I think people who care about others regardless of orientation would care.
                Really, he should keep his perversion to himself.

Comment

Nonsense. If I came out publicly as a heterosexual would that too be bold commendable? Really Boxing...
                  I just said that my statement was not referring to his homosexuality.

I have a friend with AIDS. She put selfishness aside and decided to make some private issues of her life public in order to support others who struggle with AIDS. I find this bold and commendable, regardless of the fact that she is heterosexual.

I have a friend who runs a Christian prison ministry. He puts selfishness aside and publicly discusses his own private criminal history in order to support others who struggle with past mistakes. I find this bold and commendable, regardless of the fact that he is heterosexual.

If your public admission of heterosexuality could somehow provide a benefit to others who are struggling, I would consider it to be bold and commendable, as well.

Comment

I have a friend with AIDS. She put selfishness aside and decided to make some private issues of her life public in order to support others who struggle with AIDS. I find this bold and commendable, regardless of the fact that she is heterosexual.

I have a friend who runs a Christian prison ministry. He puts selfishness aside and publicly discusses his own private criminal history in order to support others who struggle with past mistakes. I find this bold and commendable, regardless of the fact that he is heterosexual.

If your public admission of heterosexuality could somehow provide a benefit to others who are struggling, I would consider it to be bold and commendable, as well.
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

So now you're equating being gay with having AIDS or a criminal past? HOW OFFENSIVE!!!

Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Really...

Comment

Another vain-glorious "Come out" story. Uummhh... yay?

Any other more noteworthy news out there? Seriously, what possibly merited making a thread of this....
                        Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                        As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

I think seer's point is that your friend is not saying she is proud to have AIDs, or that your Christian prison ministry friend is proud of his criminal past. Tim Cook is saying that he is proud, and thankful to God, that he is a homosexual. To many Christians, this is analogous to a person saying "I'm proud and thankful to God for being an alcoholic", or "I'm proud and thankful to God for being attracted to minors". These are not things that Christians would want to be proud of and thankful for. These are things that most Christians would desire help or healing for.
                          Last edited by Adrift; 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Welcome back, Adrift! It's good to see you here.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              I think seer's point is that your friend is not saying she is proud to have AIDs, or that your Christian prison ministry friend is proud of his criminal past. Tim Cook is saying that he is proud, and thankful to God, that he is a homosexual. To many Christians, this is analogous to a person saying "I'm proud and thankful to God for being an alcoholic", or "I'm proud and thankful to God for being attracted to minors". These are not things that Christians would want to be proud and thankful of. These are things that most Christians would desire help or healing for.
                              I completely understand Seer's point. You and Seer both seem to be missing mine. I am not saying that Cook's homosexuality is bold and commendable. I am saying that opening his private life to the public in order to help others is bold and commendable. The feelings of "many Christians" on his homosexuality are fairly irrelevant.

Comment