Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election Reform at its FINEST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Reform at its FINEST!

Everybody knows that money plays a huge part in the Election process.

Campaign Finance Reform is a hot issue, and Voter ID and Voter Fraud are fighting words.

The town of Plantersville, Texas -- just up the road from me -- has had it all figured out for the past 120 years.

Every two years, they have an auction at the town's only gas station. They have a ball cap with "Mayor" on it, and whoever pays the most for that hat gets to be Mayor for the next two years. I believe last election, the hat went for $87.

No problem with Voter ID, Campaign Finance Reform (nobody campaigns) or transparency of funding -- it's all right there done right out in the open.

Source: Plantersville-Stoneham News

The highest bid winner of the Mayor’s Hat was bought by Chief Stanley and Janie Legge’s son, Emery Legge, who owns Legge Machine Works, their daughter Bobbye Jane and her husband Josh Griffith, and niece Renee Horn. The cap was then presented to Janie Legge. While many have asked or given her a list of things that need to be done in her community, her only job as Mayor is to ride in a vehicle at the annual Plantersville Christmas Parade. It’s a tough job but someone has to it. A great time was had by all who attended.

© Copyright Original Source

I especially like that part about "only job is to ride in a vehicle in a parade". Maybe we outta do Presidential Elections like this!
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It has always been my belief that virtually anyone who would want to be president is unqualified because of that desire.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      It has always been my belief that virtually anyone who would want to be president is unqualified because of that desire.
      Same with deacons!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Election Reform at it's FINEST!
        As an exchange of favors, let me suggest you're better off expanding your contractions to see if your sentence still makes sense. In this case, it would read "Election Reform at IT IS Finest." Oops, something doesn't parse.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
          As an exchange of favors, let me suggest you're better off expanding your contractions to see if your sentence still makes sense. In this case, it would read "Election Reform at IT IS Finest." Oops, something doesn't parse.
          Do you know how do do possessives? I think not.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Same with deacons!
            Reminds me of the time our deacon board came to me and asked me to serve. I did it but never did feel qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
              Good catch -- that's one of the ones I often miss! Besides, I'm NOTORIOUS for messing up thread titles.

Comment