Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Convince Me That I Should Buy "Fair Trade" Goods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince Me That I Should Buy "Fair Trade" Goods

OK - full disclosure... I confess total ignorance and full bias here. I think Fair Trade is pretty much useless, or something that the rich can do to make themselves "feel better" about spending money.

But I have never really looked into it til today because of a discussion in another thread. So, I'm starting to look into it, and am not encouraged by what I see to spend extra for "fair trade" goods.

Here's my post from another thread....

It seems like "Fair Trade" is related to "everybody is equal, but some are more equal than others".

Surprise! Fairtrade Doesn't Benefit The Poor Peasants

Source: Forbes (citing School of Oriental Studies of London)

What did surprise us is how wages are typically lower, and on the whole conditions worse, for workers in areas with Fairtrade organisations than for those in other areas.

Careful statistical analysis allowed us to separate out the possible effects of other factors, such as the scale of production. Still, the differences were in most cases, and especially for wages, statistically significant. Explaining why it should be that workers in areas dominated by Fairtrade organisations are so often worse off than workers in other areas is a complex and challenging task. Our full report explores some possible reasons.

It was also surprising to learn that many people do not benefit from the “community” projects supported with funds generated by the “social premium” consumers pay for Fairtrade products. Researchers at London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (Soas) found that many of the poorest are unable to use these facilities. In one Fairtrade tea co-operative the modern toilets funded with the premium were exclusively for the use of senior co-op managers.

© Copyright Original Source

Also, see here.

Convince me that I should pay MORE for goods because it actually benefits somebody in a meaningful way. And, what about the costs of overseeing this - who else profits? How does it work - who "manages" the process?
    I don't really know that much about it
    28.57%
    I am a solid "Fair Trade" supporter - including paying more for "Fair Trade" goods
    0.00%
    I occasionally will buy "Fair Trade" goods, like specialty coffees
    14.29%
    I think it's pretty much useless, or otherwise don't support it
    57.14%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"Fair Trade" is one of those political buzz words that has no real meaning. Like "Organic Foods".
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      "Fair Trade" is one of those political buzz words that has no real meaning. Like "Organic Foods".
      In the article I cited, it's a very LIBERAL organization doing the analysis, so it's not like FOX NEWS is coming down on this - but the mention of "senior co-op managers" makes me think it's nothing more than a labor union, where you have "union bosses" and a whole organization complete with salaries, budgets, executive directors....

but, again, I'm just in the learning process.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about it. At this point in my life, I don't think I'm in the financial position to even consider shopping along these lines. I do support consumers encouraging companies to try to know who they're buying things from. This came up a few years ago when there was that fire in that factory in Bangladesh, and companies like Wal-Mart were being asked questions about where they were getting their clothes.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I don't know a whole lot about it. At this point in my life, I don't think I'm in the financial position to even consider shopping along these lines. I do support consumers encouraging companies to try to know who they're buying things from. This came up a few years ago when there was that fire in that factory in Bangladesh, and companies like Wal-Mart were being asked questions about where they were getting their clothes.
          Good point - I WILL avoid buying goods I know are tied to bad conditions, but I think the market sorts that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Good point - I WILL avoid buying goods I know are tied to bad conditions, but I think the market sorts that out.
            Why should it? If you have your laborers work in unsafe conditions or use child labour, for example, labour costs will tend to be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              Why should it? If you have your laborers work in unsafe conditions or use child labour, for example, labour costs will tend to be cheaper.
              Public relations.

Comment

I don't know much about what "free trade" entails, but I am a big supporter of buying American. Everything I'm wearing now was made in the US, some made by union workers.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Public relations.

Which is why Apple still uses Foxconn as a supplier, for instance.

Comment

Which is why Apple still uses Foxconn as a supplier, for instance.
                    And is why I don't use apple products.

except my iphone which I bought way back before I started looking at all this

Comment

And is why I don't use apple products.

except my iphone which I bought way back before I started looking at all this
                      And how much did public relations matter?

Comment

And how much did public relations matter?
                        I concede that point -- but you don't seem to be defending Fair Trade so much. Can I buy a "fair trade" smart phone?

Comment

I concede that point -- but you don't seem to be defending Fair Trade so much. Can I buy a "fair trade" smart phone?
                          No you can't. Because it only connects to other "Fair Trade" phone users. And who really wants to talk to hipsters all day?
                          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

You really shouldn't. Almost everything from the beginning of human history that has been made, was tied to bad conditions. Of course "bad conditions" is relative really. None of this really matters in the long run. I also have a selfish interest in this. I don't want to see a bunch of naked people running around and clogging up the streets because they found out where all of their clothes and cars where made.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                              You really shouldn't. Almost everything from the beginning of human history that has been made, was tied to bad conditions. Of course "bad conditions" is relative really. None of this really matters in the long run
                              So slavery matters not. Neither does child labour. Nor wanton destruction of the environment.

Comment