Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Ferguson newsleaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    This seems to be a fair and accurate assessment, though I'm still hesitant to label any such deadly shooting "justified,"
    It's a legal term over which you have no say.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Merriam Webster
      Full Definition of JUSTIFY

transitive verb
      a : to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable
      b (1) : to show to have had a sufficient legal reason (2) : to qualify (oneself) as a surety by taking oath to the ownership of sufficient property

a archaic : to administer justice to
      b archaic : absolve
      c : to judge, regard, or treat as righteous and worthy of salvation

a : to space (as lines of text) so that the lines come out even at the margin
      b : to make even by justifying <justified margins>

intransitive verb
      a : to show a sufficient lawful reason for an act done
      b : to qualify as bail or surety

: to justify lines of text
      jus·ti·fi·er noun
      Emphasis mine

This is not rocket science, SP. Refusing to use 'justified' in its proper meaning smacks of sanctimony.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Yes, accurate and necessary. If you can escape bad schools and crime you owe it to your family to do it.
        I'd rather live in north St. Louis than in a neighborhood full of people who freely admit they are there to escape black people.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I'd rather live in north St. Louis than in a neighborhood full of people who freely admit they are there to escape black people.
          What did I miss? Who is claiming that they are trying to escape "black people?"
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What did I miss? Who is claiming that they are trying to escape "black people?"
            That's the implication of 'white flight', Seer.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              That's the implication of 'white flight', Seer.
              I understand that, but I don't believe that the real intention is to escape "black people" but rather to escape high crime rates and horrible schools. It may just be that those with the means to do that are largely white.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I too would rather risk getting shot in the head that live in a neighborhood full of people who don't want to get shot in the head.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I understand that, but I don't believe that the real intention is to escape "black people" but rather to escape high crime rates and horrible schools. It may just be that those with the means to do that are largely white.
                  Then don't use the term because that isn't what it means.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Then don't use the term because that isn't what it means.
                    I didn't use the term.

Comment

I get the impression, justified or not, that the protesters are trying to make this more about a systemic police thing.
                      I think that is the angle that they are now pursuing since it is becoming increasingly evident that the story of a gentle giant who wouldn't hurt a fly was gunned down for merely walking down the middle of the street by some psycho cop has pretty much unraveled.

Still, let us keep in mind that the claims in these leaks have not been scrutinized in court and might have serious problems.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I think that is the angle that they are now pursuing since it is becoming increasingly evident that the story of a gentle giant who wouldn't hurt a fly was gunned down for merely walking down the middle of the street by some psycho cop has pretty much unraveled.

Still, let us keep in mind that the claims in these leaks have not been scrutinized in court and might have serious problems.
                        It doesn't help that a few of the police officers have acted pretty poorly in the wake of handling the riots... but I would argue that a far greater percentage of the protesters have acted poorly, and with much worse impacts.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I didn't use the term.
                          You agreed with it - you even called it justified. Need to clarify when you agree with a premise just what part you agree with.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Perhaps next month we'll learn of the Grand Jury's findings...

Source: WashPost

Ferguson, Mo., police officer Darren Wilson and Michael Brown fought for control of the officer’s gun, and Wilson fatally shot the unarmed teenager after he moved toward the officer as they faced off in the street, according to interviews, news accounts and the full report of the St. Louis County autopsy of Brown’s body.

Because Wilson is white and Brown was black, the case has ignited intense debate over how police interact with African American men. But more than a half-dozen unnamed black witnesses have provided testimony to a St. Louis County grand jury that largely supports Wilson’s account of events of Aug. 9, according to several people familiar with the investigation who spoke with The Washington Post.

Some of the physical evidence — including blood spatter analysis, shell casings and ballistics tests — also supports Wilson’s account of the shooting, The Post’s sources said, which cast Brown as an aggressor who threatened the officer’s life. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are prohibited from publicly discussing the case.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I always get a kick out of this part....

"The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are prohibited from publicly discussing the case."

Comment

Interesting. Supports what I said from the very beginning, so I'll be interested to see what the Grand Jury's decision is.

I'm glad the local residents are motivated to change their government, but disappointed that they had to pick a (probably) justified shooting to be their rallying cry. It makes them look ill-informed, biased, and generally incompetent.
                                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment