Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Perform Same-Sex Marriage Or Go To Jail !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perform Same-Sex Marriage Or Go To Jail !!!!!!

Who didn't see this coming! I can hear the faint echo of Jackboots in the distance...

Their belief in the biblical definition of marriage puts one Idaho couple center stage in America's culture war over same-sex marriage.

Donald and Evelyn Knapp own a Hitching Post Wedding Chapel. They are also Christians and ordained ministers and have been marrying couples since 1989 in traditional marriage services without conflict until now.

The city of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho has a non-discrimination statute that includes sexual orientation and gender identity. Since the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Idaho's constitutional marriage amendment defining marriage as a union of a man and woman, the statute is being enforced.

The Knapps were told by city officials if they didn't perform same-sex weddings they would face fines and even jail time.

The city told the couple that the statute includes "public accomodations" and consider their business as one.
    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/O...or-Go-to-Jail/

http://dailysignal.com/2014/10/18/go...dding-go-jail/
    Last edited by seer; 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Who didn't see this coming! I can hear the faint echo of Jackboots in the distance...

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/O...or-Go-to-Jail/

http://dailysignal.com/2014/10/18/go...dding-go-jail/
    But, but, but.... our liberal posters said this would NEVER HAPPEN... that you're overreacting if you think something like this could EVER happen!!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      But, but, but.... our liberal posters said this would NEVER HAPPEN... that you're overreacting if you think something like this could EVER happen!!!!!
      Yes, they are hypocrites. And totalitarian.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

And I repeat... they don't want "equality", they want revenge and control.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And I repeat... they don't want "equality", they want revenge and control.
          Really, that poor elderly couple is racking up fines daily. These liberals are truly wicked.

Comment

And the chapel is probably too small to fight it.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I think a chapel where they advertise ordained Christian ministers (according to their website) counts as a Christian institution and they would be covered by the constitution. Especially if they show that they have in the past refused to perform weddings on non-believers, or people of different religions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I think a chapel where they advertise ordained Christian ministers (according to their website) counts as a Christian institution and they would be covered by the constitution. Especially if they show that they have in the past refused to perform weddings on non-believers, or people of different religions.
                Have have less confidence that the courts will do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Except it appears to be run as a business institution, not a church. As such, it would be regulated as a business. I don't see it as different (from a legal POV) from a florist required to sell her services for the same thing.

Of course, the chapel only offers traditional Christian weddings, which would only work for a man and a woman. Gay couples simply don't meet the parameters of the traditional service. Why should the business be forced to alter its services so someone else can buy them?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Except it appears to be run as a business institution, not a church. As such, it would be regulated as a business. I don't see it as different (from a legal POV) from a florist required to sell her services for the same thing.
                    This is why we are in dangerous territory. There is no clear line between a "business" and a "church." This couple certainly do see their services as a ministry (a Chapel actually). And the fact is there are other Chapels that would be happy to service the homosexuals. This is all about intimidation and nothing else.
                    Last edited by seer; 10-20-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Of course, the chapel only offers traditional Christian weddings, which would only work for a man and a woman. Gay couples simply don't meet the parameters of the traditional service. Why should the business be forced to alter its services so someone else can buy them?
                      Nothing in the constitution mentions having to run as a 501c to be covered by the 1st amendment. So they can run as a for profit business if they want. I would say that as ministers they are covered by the constitution as long as they are consistent in the application of their values. In other words, as long as they don't marry everyone except homosexuals, such as other religions, or non-believers, or whatever.

Comment

Seer and Cow Poke, who are these truly wicked liberal totalitarian posters that desire revenge, intimidation and control and not equality? I want to be sure to avoid them!

How do other towns or states differentiate between businesses and churches in matters such as these? Perhaps some kind of tax exempt status is required? I would think a business would want to obtain this if they could qualify. I wonder how it is determined whether or not a service offered to the public is by a religious church and not a business or vice versa? Regular membership, history of not offering services to nonmembers or non-Christians? Percentage of income from restaurant and hotel services vs chapel fees?
                        Last edited by robrecht; 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM.
                        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          Seer and Cow Poke, who are these truly wicked liberal totalitarian posters that desire revenge and control and not equality? I want to be sure to avoid them!
                          Hmmmmm... I say...
                          And from that you get "truly wicked totalitarian posters"?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            Seer and Cow Poke, who are these truly wicked liberal totalitarian posters that desire revenge and control and not equality? I want to be sure to avoid them!
                            Most of them are just useful idiots.

Comment

Well, yeah, except....

Yeah, THAT!

Comment