Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Perform Same-Sex Marriage Or Go To Jail !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    And I'll try to give my fellow (ornery) Southern Baptist the benefit of even greater doubt! From this day forward, I will do my best to presume that, of course, you would not be agreeing with seer!
    Are you just being redundant for emphasis, or what?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

waits for Tass, JimL etal to see this thread. I wonder what verbal Gymnastics they are going to try to explain away the true heart of certain homosexual activists.
      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

And I'll try to give my fellow (ornery) Southern Baptist the benefit of even greater doubt! From this day forward, I will do my best to presume that, of course, you would not be agreeing with seer!
        This kinda reminds me of the time that I "amen'd" a pretty long post with which I was in GENERAL agreement, and somebody (don't remember who) picked out one tiny phrase of what the other person said, and hammered me with "so you AGREE that (whatever the whacky part was) and made a whole big issue out of it.

(YOU haven't done that, and I always enjoy (usually) interacting with you)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          Are there people who are not citizens?
          They wouldn't be "We the people of the United States of America" would they?

Free exercise is a collective right as much as an individual right. It does little good to say you can be a practicing Methodist if you like, but there can be no Methodist churches or assemblies. After all, each individual can practice the religion in the privacy of their own home: why do they need to gather to practice their religion?
          What's with the dumbass comments and questions today? Did I ever say a congregation wasn't a right?

So you're against the Hobby Lobby ruling, then, in which the Supreme Court said that closely held businesses can exercise a religious conscience?
          The people who own it can.

That's not what the establishment clause means, at least not in its original context

It's fun to
          That's what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Are you just being redundant for emphasis, or what?
            Hey, watch what you say about us Southern Baptists! We may be too liberal at times but we are still Christians. And while I may not be as liberal as Cow Poker, since I am only an honorary Southern Baptist, and he is a truly ornerary Southern Baptist, I still aspire to his degree of liberal orneriness.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              This kinda reminds me of the time that I "amen'd" a pretty long post with which I was in GENERAL agreement, and somebody (don't remember who) picked out one tiny phrase of what the other person said, and hammered me with "so you AGREE that (whatever the whacky part was) and made a whole big issue out of it.

(YOU haven't done that, and I always enjoy (usually) interacting with you)
              Oh, that 'usually' really stings.

Comment

Oh, that 'usually' really stings.
                I sowwy
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  Ironically enough, it wasn't robrecht, but seer who went there, so I assume you're actually disappointed with him.

You don't know "there" from buttermilk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    well that's the crux of the matter. Are they primarily a business to the public, or are they a ministry? And also if the chapel is a business, are the ministers who perform the ceremonies employees or hired as independent contractors? The city might be able to claim that the chapel is a business and must be made available to anyone who wants to be married there, but I don't think they can compel Christian ministers to perform a wedding ceremony that goes against their religious beliefs.
                    As far as I can tell, they are the owners of the business. And you're right, I don't think they can compel ministers to do something against their beliefs. Do they allow other ministers to preside over weddings there?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      As far as I can tell, they are the owners of the business. And you're right, I don't think they can compel ministers to do something against their beliefs. Do they allow other ministers to preside over weddings there?
                      it is unlcear from their website.

"At one time Justice of the Peace officers performed the weddings at The Hitching Post until the position of JP was eliminated in the state. Weddings are now done by ministers at the Hitching Post 6 days a week plus many couples have opted to have their wedding ceremonies at other locations such as by the Lake, Local Parks, on Boats, families homes, Farragut State Park, (formerly Naval Station), Spokane, ski resorts, the mountains, on horseback, hot air balloon, roller coaster rides, etc. where we provide ministers for them. We also provide ministers to perform weddings done in other states when that is requested."

http://hitchingpostweddings.com/about/

The last sentence seems to indicate that they hire ministers to perform the weddings, at least in other states.

Comment

. . .So, I will just ask you if you did not in fact agree with seer that our liberal posters are hypocrites and totalitarian and whether your were not in fact tacking on the predicates to these posters that they don't want "equality", but rather revenge and control?
                        . . .
                        And I would also appreciate it if seer might also clarify to whom, if any, of our posters he would like to identify his descriptors.
                        I don't see any of these posts pointed at posters so much as anti Christian activists. Some of those may be posters, but not the actual movers.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That is all I am asking of you. It seemed like you explicitly agreed with seer that our liberal posters are hypocrites and totalitarian, but maybe you did not mean to actually agree with this. Yes? No? Maybe you were thinking of someone else? Further, it seemed like you then explicitly said that these posters don't want "equality", but rather revenge and control. But, again, maybe that is not what you meant to say. Maybe you were thinking of someone else at that point also?
                          Again some posters here are hypocrites and support totalitarian actions on the part of government. However they are not the ones telling these folks that they must violate their own beliefs or pay huge fines. These are the stupid or evil ones depending on if they are stupid or evil.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            I don't see any of these posts pointed at posters so much as anti Christian activists. Some of those may be posters, but not the actual movers.
                            Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Again some posters here are hypocrites and support totalitarian actions on the part of government. However they are not the ones telling these folks that they must violate their own beliefs or pay huge fines. These are the stupid or evil ones depending on if they are stupid or evil.
                            Yes, you have correctly understood the Cow Poker (and now so do I), except he has not claimed that some of the liberal posters here are hypocrites and totalitarian. seer has not yet identified which liberal posters he was talking about, if indeed he was intending to refer to our beloved liberal posters. Bill the Cat is preparing a list of the top ten so stay tuned.
                            Last edited by robrecht; 10-20-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Yes, you have correctly understood the Cow Poker (and now so do I), except he has not claimed that some of the liberal posters here are hypocrites and totalitarian.
                              I don't think some of them are smart enough to realize they're hypocrites.

seer has not yet identified which liberal posters he was talking about, if indeed he was intending to refer to our beloved liberal posters. One Bad Pig is preparing a list of the top ten so stay tuned.
                              I thought that was Bill The Cat.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              You want the whole list, or just the top 10?

Comment

I don't think some of them are smart enough to realize they're hypocrites.
                                Ah, so you do think they are hypocrites!

I thought that was Bill The Cat.
                                Oops, I'm sure you're right. For some reason I always get those guys confused. Not sure whom I owe an apology to!

Comment