Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Perform Same-Sex Marriage Or Go To Jail !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The first amendment doesn't say that it only protects churches. In fact, it only protects citizens.

Not to mention, a church is not a business or a building. It is a group of people. I don't know of anything that requires you to "register as a church" in order to be a church or get constitutional protection.
    Where do you see "citizens" in the 1st amendment?
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Where do you see "citizens" in the 1st amendment?
      derp.

Well let's start out with the introduction: We the People of the United States.

That would be the citizens.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now a business can't exercise religion, but a person can.

It also says that the government can not make a law respecting an establishment of religion, meaning it can't make a requirement to "register to be a church" or of saying a church can't also be a business. And it can't force someone to give up their religious beliefs or go against them even if they work for some business (like the ministers would be working for the chapel).

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        That is all I am asking of you. It seemed like you explicitly agreed with seer that our liberal posters are hypocrites and totalitarian, but maybe you did not mean to actually agree with this.
        Not only did I not MEAN to agree with that, I didn't agree with it.

Yes? No? Maybe you were thinking of someone else? Further, it seemed like you then explicitly said that these posters don't want "equality", but rather revenge and control.
        Actually, no --- I did not say "these posters" at that point. What I sad EXACTLY was....
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And I repeat... they don't want "equality", they want revenge and control.
        What I had said in another thread (don't remember which one, and have said numerous times - hence "I repeat") is that they -- in this case the liberal activists -- don't want "equality", they want revenge and control.

But, again, maybe that is not what you meant to say. Maybe you were thinking of someone else at that point also?
        It would have been SO much easier if you had just asked, "who's 'they'"?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          derp.

Well let's start out with the introduction: We the People of the United States.

That would be the citizens.
          Are there people who are not citizens?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
          Free exercise is a collective right as much as an individual right. It does little good to say you can be a practicing Methodist if you like, but there can be no Methodist churches or assemblies. After all, each individual can practice the religion in the privacy of their own home: why do they need to gather to practice their religion?

Now a business can't exercise religion, but a person can.
          So you're against the Hobby Lobby ruling, then, in which the Supreme Court said that closely held businesses can exercise a religious conscience?

It also says that the government can not make a law respecting an establishment of religion, meaning it can't make a requirement to "register to be a church" or of saying a church can't also be a business. And it can't force someone to give up their religious beliefs or go against them even if they work for some business (like the ministers would be working for the chapel).
          That's not what the establishment clause means, at least not in its original context

It's fun to

Comment

That's not what the establishment clause means, at least not in its original context
            Then read the NEXT phrase -- the prohibition phrase.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm a little disappointed you would go there.
              Ironically enough, it wasn't robrecht, but seer who went there, so I assume you're actually disappointed with him.

Comment

Then read the NEXT phrase -- the prohibition phrase.
                You mean the free exercise clause? That's a bit more ambiguous. It's not clear, for example, whether the Founders thought that the Quakers' free exercise meant they could be exempt from the draft.

The Establishment clause was intended to prevent Congress from interfering with the existing church establishments in the states. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. That is, Congress does not have the power to make any laws on state-established religions.

Comment

You mean the free exercise clause?
                  If I had meant that, I would have said that. I said "the prohibition clause".... "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

The Establishment clause was intended to prevent Congress from interfering with the existing church establishments in the states. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. That is, Congress does not have the power to make any laws on state-established religions.
                  OR to prohibit the free exercise thereof, collegeboy.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

If I had meant that, I would have said that. I said "the prohibition clause".... "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
                    So I guess you don't want a free gym membership, then?

What you call the prohibition clause is generally referred to as the free exercise clause in constitutional jurisprudence. If you don't believe me, ask Google

Comment

Not only did I not MEAN to agree with that, I didn't agree with it.

Actually, no --- I did not say "these posters" at that point. What I sad EXACTLY was....

What I had said in another thread (don't remember which one, and have said numerous times - hence "I repeat") is that they -- in this case the liberal activists -- don't want "equality", they want revenge and control.

It would have been SO much easier if you had just asked, "who's 'they'"?
                      Sorry, but when I initially asked the question, I thought you were referring to the posts of seer that you were quoting here. I did not realize you were referring to other threads. Subsequently, I did try to give you the benefit of the doubt and raised the possibility that maybe you were thinking of someone else. At any rate, I am very happy that we have clarified your comments. Thank you!
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

So I guess you don't want a free gym membership, then?
                        Already have one!

What you call the prohibition clause is generally referred to as the free exercise clause in constitutional jurisprudence.
                        And that's why there's so much confusion over what the first amendment actually says... the first part deals with "establishing", and the next part deals with "prohibiting". It's what CONGRESS can and cannot do.

Comment

In FACT, it would be a WHOLE LOT BETTER if the First Amendment stopped right after the first five words!

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            Sorry, but when I initially asked the question, I thought you were referring to the posts of seer that you were quoting here. I did not realize you were referring to other threads. Subsequently, I did try to give you the benefit of the doubt and raised the possibility that maybe you were thinking of someone else. At any rate, I am very happy that we have clarified your comments. Thank you!
                            I'll try to be more clear in the future -- my bad.

Comment

In FACT, it would be a WHOLE LOT BETTER if the First Amendment stopped right after the first five words!
                              Well bless your anarchist heart. Who woulda ever thunk it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'll try to be more clear in the future -- my bad.
                                And I'll try to give my fellow (ornery) Southern Baptist the benefit of even greater doubt! From this day forward, I will do my best to presume that, of course, you would not be agreeing with seer!
                                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment