Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Sins under the category of avarice; I do not find wealth, in itself, to be necessarily sinful (though it can be the case that merely having wealth is sinful).
    I thought so, I just wanted to clarify.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I thought so, I just wanted to clarify.
      Gimmie another five or ten years before I go full-on Marx. Still too young to be comfortable rocking that big a beard.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Sins under the category of avarice; I do not find wealth, in itself, to be necessarily sinful
        Yeah!

(though it can be the case that merely having wealth is sinful).
        Other than ill-gotten gain, what would make having wealth sinful?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Gimmie another five or ten years before I go full-on Marx. Still too young to be comfortable rocking that big a beard.
          I can't even grow that big a beard, let alone rock it.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Interestingly enough, Anderson has something to say about that passage-- an alternative interpretation based on (what else?) linguistic ambiguities. It's not that the wealth is gotten dishonestly, but that the wealth itself is dishonest, unreliable. You can trust in your earthly treasures, which will fail you in a time of crisis, or you can invest (via almsgiving) in the Heavenly treasury that has God as its guarantor (c.f. Proverbs 11:4).

I'd have to dig through the text a bit to find the exact argument, but it's something like that.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              Interestingly enough, Anderson has something to say about that passage-- an alternative interpretation based on (what else?) linguistic ambiguities. It's not that the wealth is gotten dishonestly, but that the wealth itself is dishonest, unreliable. You can trust in your earthly treasures, which will fail you in a time of crisis, or you can invest (via almsgiving) in the Heavenly treasury that has God as its guarantor (c.f. Proverbs 11:4).

I'd have to dig through the text a bit to find the exact argument, but it's something like that.
              OK, but does the unreliability of wealth make it a sin, if you fully understand it's not reliable?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hoarding, irresponsible and excessive spending, disregard for the poor, excessive love of wealth . . . I'm sure our imaginations as to how having wealth can be sinful are no more limited than our imaginations as to how having sexuality can be sinful.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

OK, but does the unreliability of wealth make it a sin, if you fully understand it's not reliable?
                  It's sinful insofar as it means defying God's desire that we take care of the poor, and stupid insofar as it's stupid to invest in something that isn't ultimately reliable. It can be both sinful and stupid, you know

Comment

• Sounds very much like wealth can lead to sinful behavior not that wealth is sinful. Can you guys clarify?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Sounds very much like wealth can lead to sinful behavior not that wealth is sinful. Can you guys clarify?
                      I think most, though not all, of the folks here would argue that something like homosexuality -- as an orientation -- isn't sinful but can lead to sinful behavior. If you agree with this concept, what's the difference between homosexuality and wealth?

Even just broadly comparing sexuality and wealth leads to the same problem: if you can provide "input" regarding the country's treatment of various sexual behaviors and mores, you can provide input regarding the country's treatment of various economic behaviors and mores.

Comment

I think most, though not all, of the folks here would argue that something like homosexuality -- as an orientation -- isn't sinful but can lead to sinful behavior. If you agree with this concept, what's the difference between homosexuality and wealth?

Even just broadly comparing sexuality and wealth leads to the same problem: if you can provide "input" regarding the country's treatment of various sexual behaviors and mores, you can provide input regarding the country's treatment of various economic behaviors and mores.
                        These are the pelvic issues. The Left wants freedom for the inside of the pelvis, the Right for the outside (where the wallet is kept).

Comment

• Death to freedom.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            It's sinful insofar as it means defying God's desire that we take care of the poor, and stupid insofar as it's stupid to invest in something that isn't ultimately reliable. It can be both sinful and stupid, you know
                            Or it can be jealousy.

Comment

Or it can be jealousy.
                              Envy, like avarice, is a deadly sin. What's that you were saying earlier about false dichotomies?

Comment

• Here is why i think is the difference of gay marriage and business

Engaging in Gay Marriage is already an act that is in the process of committing a sin per se. While when you enter into a business you are not in the process of committing a sin per se.

On another note, who will judge what if fair. Those you harvest in the morning, at noontime and at dawn earn the same copper coin - is that unfair?

Comment