Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS says Texas Voter ID laws ok....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Why would a student ID be acceptable?
    I'm only guessing here, but the election judge or poll worker would first find your name on the list that says you ARE registered, then your picture ID would verify that was "you".

Don't people generally vote where they're from, not where they're going to college?
    When I was College Minister at Sam Houston University, I know of a number of students who moved to Huntsville, Texas and registered to vote accordingly. I'm guessing that was the exception rather than the rule, because SHSU is known as a "suitcase college". (or was back then)

The key, however, is that your name is on the eligible voter registration roster, and you can identify yourself as the person whose name appears on the roll. I remember in the OLD days, even a water bill was sufficient.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The way I look at it, if they complain it is too hard to obtain an ID, then it would be too hard to register to vote in the first place. If they managed to register to vote, then they should already have an ID (how did they even register if they couldn't prove who they were?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The way I look at it, if they complain it is too hard to obtain an ID, then it would be too hard to register to vote in the first place. If they managed to register to vote, then they should already have an ID (how did they even register if they couldn't prove who they were?)
        Well, except a lot of the "registered" voters were "registered" by the hired hands who don't give a flying flip about the voter -- they just want the vote.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since the Voter ID law in Texas was OK'd by SCOTUS (for NOW, because it's too close to an election to change it ), it will be interesting to see what the demographics are following the vote. You KNOW there will be endless studies. If there is NOT a decrease in voter participation due to this law, Holder will be pretty angry.

Now, we're already suspecting that Democrat turnout might be low because they're not so proud of their man, and he has insisted this election IS about his issues, the numbers will have to show that there was a decrease in the percentage of minorities or otherwise "disaffected" persons relative to the Democratic turnout.
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-19-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

You can register to vote using a utility bill, government check, bank statement, etc.

Comment

I noticed that in her dissent that Darth Ginsburg[1] raised the spectre of a poll tax as a result of requiring a voter ID. So it's a good time to again post how we here in Georgia handle the situation.

First, there is no charge for the ID so someone cannot claim that they are unable to afford one.

Second, if the person cannot get to one of the multitude of offices where these are done through lack of money or laziness, then someone will pick them up and take them there and back at no charge.

Third, if they can't leave the house due to health, agoraphobia or they just don't want to miss an episode of Judge Judy, then they will come to you're[2] house and do all the necessary work there at no charge.

With all of that it really is deliciously fun watching those opposed to voter IDs scramble about trying to find a reason to continue saying that they pose an unfair burden.

ETA: And if you forget or lost your ID you can still vote. It is just that it gets set aside. If the vote is close enough then they'll go through the votes from people without IDs and check to see if they're legitimate and count them. If the vote isn't close why bother since it won't affect the outcome

1. Am I really the only one who thinks that despite the various lacy collars on her black robes Ruth Bader Ginsburg looks like the perfect candidate to play a Sith lord?

2. Misspelled just to irritate CP.
              Last edited by rogue06; 10-19-2014, 10:59 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The collars identify her as the Master.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I noticed that in her dissent that Darth Ginsburg[1] raised the spectre of a poll tax as a result of requiring a voter ID. So it's a good time to again post how we here in Georgia handle the situation.

First, there is no charge for the ID so someone cannot claim that they are unable to afford one.

Second, if the person cannot get to one of the multitude of offices where these are done through lack of money or laziness, then someone will pick them up and take them there and back at no charge.

Third, if they can't leave the house due to health, agoraphobia or they just don't want to miss an episode of Judge Judy, then they will come to you're[2] house and do all the necessary work there at no charge.

With all of that it really is deliciously fun watching those opposed to voter IDs scramble about trying to find a reason to continue saying that they pose an unfair burden.

ETA: And if you forget or lost your ID you can still vote. It is just that it gets set aside. If the vote is close enough then they'll go through the votes from people without IDs and check to see if they're legitimate and count them. If the vote isn't close why bother since it won't affect the outcome

Yeah!!!!

1. Am I really the only one who thinks that despite the various lacy collars on her black robes Ruth Bader Ginsburg looks like the perfect candidate to play a Sith lord?
                  Yeah!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Well, except a lot of the "registered" voters were "registered" by the hired hands who don't give a flying flip about the voter -- they just want the vote.
                    well there you go. If they were illegally registered and don't have ID, then asking for an ID just helps to weed them out.

Comment

well there you go. If they were illegally registered and don't have ID, then asking for an ID just helps to weed them out.
                      And I think that's what really scares the liberals... "be sure your sins will find you out". (Unless, of course, we're not allowed to check)

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        You can register to vote using a utility bill, government check, bank statement, etc.

in which state is that? In my state you have to show you are over 18, a US citizen, a resident of the state (actually the county) for at least 30 days, don't have a felony conviction and not already registered (so you can't register as a democrat and a republican). I am pretty sure that is the requirements for all states, with slight variations)

here is the voter registration page for Texas, where this thread is about.

http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/

Comment

Since the Voter ID law in Texas was OK'd by SCOTUS (for NOW, because it's too close to an election to change it ), it will be interesting to see what the demographics are following the vote. You KNOW there will be endless studies. If there is NOT a decrease in voter participation due to this law, Holder will be pretty angry.

Now, we're already suspecting that Democrat turnout might be low because they're not so proud of their man, and he has insisted this election IS about his issues, the numbers will have to show that there was a decrease in the percentage of minorities or otherwise "disaffected" persons relative to the Democratic turnout.
                          There wasn't any measured drop for the 2012 elections, in the states this law was put into effect, so I doubt there will be a measured drop in this one. I would think that a great way to help the poor would be to help them get an ID card since you need it for so many things in the modern world, so that they could start to move up from the situation they are currently in.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I've mentioned this before on old TWeb, but in South Africa they do the following

first every South African citizen/Resident over 18 has an ID book (you can't do anything without one, you can't open an account anywhere, you can't register for uni, you can't rent a house, etc.) the initial one is free (the actually go around to all the schools and do them for everyone, and you can go into a Home Affairs office and get one, if you are physically unable to do that, they will come to you).

This is a barcoded and photograph ID.

To enroll to vote you must go to your local voting station with your ID (the voting station must be in your electorate).

On election day (unless you're casting a special vote) you have to go to the voting station you are registered for. you have to present your ID, it is matched against the roll and the photo verified, indelible dye is then painted on your thumb (one fast food chain was offering one free coffee to anyone who had their thumb marked at the last election in SA), you then vote.

here in NZ, you just give them your name and address and they check it against the roll (I don't remember them asking me anything beyond that in the last election....which was last month)
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              ... wince, Wince, WINCE ...
                              To each thier, there, they're own ways to get CP.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                To each thier, there, they're own ways to get CP.

Um.... you mangled that quote, making it appear I said "wince, Wince, WINCE"

Or was that purposeful deception?

Comment