Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS says Texas Voter ID laws ok....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS says Texas Voter ID laws ok....

Source: AP

WASHINGTON --
    The Supreme Court said Saturday that Texas can use its controversial new voter identification law for the November election.

A majority of the justices rejected an emergency request from the Justice Department and civil rights groups to prohibit the state from requiring voters to produce certain forms of photo identification in order to cast ballots. Three justices dissented.

The law was struck down by a federal judge last week, but a federal appeals court had put that ruling on hold. The judge found that roughly 600,000 voters, many of them black or Latino, could be turned away at the polls because they lack acceptable identification. Early voting in Texas begins Monday.

© Copyright Original Source

Also, Houston ABC13 TV.

The most interesting negative comment I heard locally was "I can't believe they'll accept a GUN LICENSE but not a LIBRARY card!"
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Jimmy is currently viewing this thread, but apparently hasn't received the liberal talking points yet.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Jimmy is currently viewing this thread, but apparently hasn't received the liberal talking points yet.
      What talking points are there to make? If you're arguing that SCOTUS is actually saying that Texas' Voter ID laws are constitutional and can therefore continue, you are mistaken. SCOTUS is only upholding the decision of the appellate court to allow Texas' current electoral system to continue through these elections. This has been referred to as the "Purcell Doctrine" — the habit of this particular SCOTUS to prevent big changes happening very close to election times. Wisconsin and North Carolina recently went through the same thing, with SCOTUS blocking Wisconsin's Voter ID law from going into effect and allowing North Carolina's to continue. In all three cases, the extensive changes required within weeks of an election seem to have compelled SCOTUS (with dissenting minorities made up of conservatives or liberals based on the judgement) to proceed slowly.

Texas' case is interesting since, unlike other states in recent news, this went through a full trial which resulted in a lengthy and extensively documented conclusion not only that Voter ID disproportionately disenfranchises specific groups of voters but that the law was intended to do so. It's going to be difficult for an appellate court to quickly overrule that judgement and quite probably politically toxic for SCOTUS to do so. With original supporters of Voter ID like Judge Posner now very critical of these laws' disproportionate effect and acknowledging the fact that in-person voter fraud simply isn't a significant problem in our elections, I think it's unlikely that Kennedy once again sides with the conservative side of SCOTUS when the Texas case comes around to an actual ruling.

No matter what, though, this stay does not mean that SCOTUS says the Texas Voter ID law is OK any more than the Wisconsin stay means that SCOTUS says the Wisconsin Voter ID law is not OK.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        What talking points are there to make? If you're arguing that SCOTUS is actually saying that Texas' Voter ID laws are constitutional and can therefore continue, you are mistaken.
        I'm making no such argument, therefore, I can ignore the rest of your screed. However, I agree I should have come up with a better title.

Comment

In the article I cited, it very clearly says...
          Ramos' issued her ruling on October 9. Five days later, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans put her decision on hold and cited a 2006 Supreme Court opinion that warned judges not to change the rules too close to Election Day.

Comment

In the article I cited, it very clearly says...
            Ramos' issued her ruling on October 9. Five days later, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans put her decision on hold and cited a 2006 Supreme Court opinion that warned judges not to change the rules too close to Election Day.
            It seemed, given the misleading title and the heckling about "liberal talking points" that you were inferring more from this event than was warranted by the text. What talking points were you expecting to come from this?
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              It seemed, given the misleading title and the heckling about "liberal talking points" that you were inferring more from this event than was warranted by the text.
              Relax, Sam, it's a topic of conversation.

What talking points were you expecting to come from this?
              That was specifically addressed to Jimmy --- it's AMAZING the things he comes up with, so I haven't even a guess!

Comment

I am sure Obama will overturn the supreme court. After all, he has a pen and isn't afraid to use it.

Comment

The appeals courts (and the USSC) can't just overturn a result they don't like. They need to find an error in law in order to do so. In this case, the appeals judge cited a (relatively recent) Supreme Court ruling.

How hard is it to get acceptable identification in Texas anyway?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I heard there was some state where there was a controversy over gun licenses being accepted but not college IDs... was that Texas?

That differentiation seems like a rather transparent attempt to favor one party.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      The appeals courts (and the USSC) can't just overturn a result they don't like. They need to find an error in law in order to do so. In this case, the appeals judge cited a (relatively recent) Supreme Court ruling.

How hard is it to get acceptable identification in Texas anyway?
                      It's really not hard at all -- and a bunch of conservative groups have even volunteered to help anybody who had a problem for FREE.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I heard there was some state where there was a controversy over gun licenses being accepted but not college IDs... was that Texas?

That differentiation seems like a rather transparent attempt to favor one party.
                        Right there in the OP's link:
                        Source: OP's ABC story

The law sets out seven forms of approved ID - a list that includes concealed handgun licenses but not college student IDs, which are accepted in other states with similar measures.

I don't understand that, since most colleges I know require you to show the proper ID before issuing a student ID -- unless it's about residency. Foreign students can get student IDs.

Comment

Source: AP

WASHINGTON --
                          The Supreme Court said Saturday that Texas can use its controversial new voter identification law for the November election.

A majority of the justices rejected an emergency request from the Justice Department and civil rights groups to prohibit the state from requiring voters to produce certain forms of photo identification in order to cast ballots. Three justices dissented.

The law was struck down by a federal judge last week, but a federal appeals court had put that ruling on hold. The judge found that roughly 600,000 voters, many of them black or Latino, could be turned away at the polls because they lack acceptable identification. Early voting in Texas begins Monday.

Also, Houston ABC13 TV.

The most interesting negative comment I heard locally was "I can't believe they'll accept a GUN LICENSE but not a LIBRARY card!"
                          This reminds me of when people got their panties in a wad when they found out Stephen Harper wanted to eliminate 'Vouching' (basically, you and another elector in the same polling division take oaths that you are who you say you are. You can only do this once, and the guy you vouch for can't vouch for someone in turn) as an option here in Canada. Considering how diverse Valid ID is (even without Government issue Photo ID, which is quite easy to get, you can use any Generic ID Card in tandem with an original document with your name and address on it*), it was kind of a ridiculous outrage.

*Here's the Complete List
                          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Right there in the OP's link:
                            Source: OP's ABC story

The law sets out seven forms of approved ID - a list that includes concealed handgun licenses but not college student IDs, which are accepted in other states with similar measures.

I don't understand that, since most colleges I know require you to show the proper ID before issuing a student ID -- unless it's about residency. Foreign students can get student IDs.
                            Why would a student ID be acceptable? Don't people generally vote where they're from, not where they're going to college?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Why would a student ID be acceptable? Don't people generally vote where they're from, not where they're going to college?
                              Either way is legal, but since as CP says an actual ID is generally required to obtain a student ID, it would seem to do the trick for the bare minimum of proving identity.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment