Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Holocaust Memorial Day too Eurocentric for Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holocaust Memorial Day too Eurocentric for Britain

http://www.jewishnews.co.uk/goldsmit...c-colonialist/

t asked the Student Union “to organise commemorative events for Holocaust Memorial Day (27 January), European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism (23 August), Holodomor Genocide Memorial Day (22 November) and Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day (24 April).”

It also sought to recognise “that commemorating the victims of genocide, racial hatred and totalitarianism and promoting public awareness of these crimes against humanity is essential to sustaining and defending democratic culture and civil society, especially in the face of a resurgence of neo-fascism, racial hatred and neo-Stalinism across Europe”.

Goldsmiths’ education officer Sarah El-alfy led student opposition to the motion, branding it “eurocentric”‘ and “colonialist”,

In a statement published on Twitter, El-alfy insisted she was “not against Holocaust Memorial Day”. She wrote: “We have in the past commemorated Holocaust Memorial Day with events and will continue to do so.… But, yes, it is Eurocentric and pro-British-colonialist if only specific dates are mentioned, where all are European history and don’t event extend to those atrocities committed by Britain itself.. By writing specific dates, we are symbolically giving some struggles more importance than others… It is important we keep this in mind.”
    While I agree with the decision, the reason why it was done is as dumb and evil as it can get. British trolls should respond by adding massacres commited by Africans and Middle Easterners (they shouldn't be hard to find, there's more slavery today in Africa than there was in the trans-atlantic slave trade, genocide, massacres, etc.) to the list in an effort to be more inclusive.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

I saw something on another site where some activist who opposed the resolution was tying this to "cis privilege". Can somebody explain what that has to do with anything?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Er, what?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I saw something on another site where some activist who opposed the resolution was tying this to "cis privilege". Can somebody explain what that has to do with anything?
        That would be irrelevant if they followed Darth's advice to make it world wide by including Africa, the Middle East, and why not Asia as well.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          That would be irrelevant if they followed Darth's advice to make it world wide by including Africa, the Middle East, and why not Asia as well.
          "Cis" is a gender thing (as far as I can tell it means "normal"). Not sure what that has to do with the Holocaust though, Himmler was pretty gender egalitarian.
          Last edited by Darth Executor; 10-17-2014, 09:09 PM.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              "Cis" is a gender thing (as far as I can tell it means "normal"). Not sure what that has to do with the Holocaust though, Himmler was pretty gender egalitarian.
              You are correct, but I was expanding it beyond it's actual meaning. Sorry about that.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I sort-of-know (read: used to be friends but drifted away from over the years) who is now transgender and is very angry about such issues, even wearing a shirt around that says "(Something) the Cis-Tem". People involved in activism to that level often seem to find a fault in absolutely everything. The connection here seems especially tenuous, whatever it is.

This person also throws all the major gay rights organizations under the bus because they support American imperialism or something like that.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  While I agree with the decision, the reason why it was done is as dumb and evil as it can get. British trolls should respond by adding massacres commited by Africans and Middle Easterners (they shouldn't be hard to find, there's more slavery today in Africa than there was in the trans-atlantic slave trade, genocide, massacres, etc.) to the list in an effort to be more inclusive.
                  If they have any sincerity at all they should be prioritising the memorials of all the massacres their own country committed over the centuries.

Will that happen? I'm not holding my breath.

Comment