Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Utah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Thinking about this from a distance, it's sad that something such as video games is promoting such visceral reactions/emotions, but that's naturally what you get when people spend nearly 100% of their spare time and money on the same hobby. So many people (not only kids) spend way too much time playing video games and need to get back into the real world.
    Could "video games" in this post be reasonably replaced with "theologyweb"?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

You used "reasonably" and "theologyweb" in the same sentence!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Nope, it's the broadcaster. My superheterodyne discriminator circuit filtered out the noise, and there wasn't anything left.
        That'll teach ya about relying on Morton Tech.

Had to hear yourself talk first, eh? Then FINALLY got around to something of a kinda sorta response -- -which you COULD have said WAY BACK WHEN PEOPLE WERE AXING you!!!!!
        I think my TEXAS translator can't handle that many caps. It still thinks you're shouting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You used "reasonably" and "theologyweb" in the same sentence!
          "Reasonable" wasn't modifying "theologyweb," silly. Nobody's that ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I don't think the problem is video games, rather, it's the tendency of most most of my generation to do this with more that just one issue.
            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I support the :
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              I don't think the problem is video games, rather, it's the tendency of most most of my generation to do this with more that just one issue.
              I've heard there actually is some scientific debate over whether there is a such thing as video game addiction compared to drug/alcohol addiction, so I think video games in themselves deserve close scrutiny.

I'm not saying gaming is wrong, by the way.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I've heard there actually is some scientific debate over whether there is a such thing as video game addiction compared to drug/alcohol addiction, so I think video games in themselves deserve close scrutiny.

People can seemingly get addicted to anything*, and video games would definitely be one of those things.

*This isn't really meant as a scientific use of the word "addiction," though. I don't really know if people get addicted to Pepsi in the same way they get addicted to alcohol, for example.

Comment

Yeah, video game addiction is a thing. I can image a guy playing 12+ hrs if he has to train for a esports championship but a teenager/adult with responsibilies should make sure they don't get sidetracked.
                  "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                  -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I support the :
                  sigpic

Comment

That it's all anonymous and/or behind a computer screen is the main reason. It's a whole lot different when your on the field or on the court with your competitor face to face.

Comment

Thinking about this from a distance, it's sad that something such as video games is promoting such visceral reactions/emotions, but that's naturally what you get when people spend nearly 100% of their spare time and money on the same hobby. So many people (not only kids) spend way too much time playing video games and need to get back into the real world.
                      The visceral reaction is to the encroaching puritanical liberalism and is hardly limited to games. The only difference between gamers and other fields is that gamers are, on the whole, far less tolerant of liberal cultural bullying than, say, the average conservative. The Internet helps in that being anonymous means a lot of people have the guts to say what they'd otherwise avoid. Liberals are going to seriously regret having destroyed Christianity and left the vacuum open to be filled by people who think the Holocaust is good material for comedy.
                      Last edited by Darth Executor; 10-17-2014, 09:22 PM.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        That it's all anonymous and/or behind a computer screen is the main reason. It's a whole lot different when your on the field or on the court with your competitor face to face.
                        This.

The problem with anything relating to the Internet is the above. We don't really tend to put faces to the people we disagree with, and hence we lose sight of the other persons feelings and other things.
                        -Unknown

I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          The visceral reaction is to the encroaching puritanical liberalism and is hardly limited to games. The only difference between gamers and other fields is that gamers are, on the whole, far less tolerant of liberal cultural bullying than, say, the average conservative. The Internet helps in that being anonymous means a lot of people have the guts to say what they'd otherwise avoid. Liberals are going to seriously regred having destroyed Christianity and left the vacuum open to be filled by people who think the Holocaust is good material for comedy.
                          I'm just trying to imagine a conversation between a 4chan user and a liberal. It would not end well.
                          -Unknown

I support the :
                          sigpic

Comment

Some of these people are well intentioned but others are members of 4chan and are just in it for the lols.
                            For sure. Keep in mind that, I feel dirty sticking up for 4Chan, they actually banned GamerGate discussions on 4Chan which caused a lot of people to migrate elsewhere.

Video games have been doing that for years... as is whatever else is in vogue for entertainment mediums (Board Games, Comic Books, Movies... Live Theater).
                            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Liberals are going to seriously regred having destroyed Christianity and left the vacuum open to be filled by people who think the Holocaust is good material for comedy.
                              And they will regret it too!
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm just trying to imagine a conversation between a 4chan user and a liberal. It would not end well.
                                I don't think the vast majority of people on 4chan are Christian, or of any religious affiliation really, and yet you hear some of the most (or even mild and what would be deemed from the political left) racist and sexist conversations on there. That's kind of interesting to me.

Comment