Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Utah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the people sending Sarkeesian death threats really wanted her dead, a gun ban would not stop them from trying. As for the death threats, I know some of the hate mail she has showcased in the past has been shown to be fake, and Sarkeesian's reputation as a fraud and a mountebank makes the claim she invented them believable, but neither of these two things show that she did so conclusively, and, as KG pointed out earlier, the videos claiming to show that Sarkeesian faked her own death threats are conspiracy-laden logic-free bonanzas.

As for Sarkeesian's claims regarding video games and the video games industry: they have shown to be conclusively false. The majority of gamers today are women, and women play prominent roles in the gaming industry today. Almost every example Sarkeesian gives of 'misogyny' and 'sexism' in games is either cherry-picked or doesn't show what she claims it shows. For example, one mission in the game Hitman: Absolution is set in a strip club, which she takes out of context to say that the game is sexist... because the player can kill the strippers if they want to. She also takes a portion from the game Watch_Dogs set in a strip club that is the centre of a sex trafficking operation as further evidence of misogyny. The kicker is that in that mission, your goal is to actually shut the place down. The list of game footage and screen-shots she has purposively taken out of context is long indeed. I even came across a pro-feminist female game critic (who obviously sympathised with Sarkeesian's project) who criticised Sarkeesian for not providing actual examples of misogyny in games. Sarkeesian even claimed that Bayonetta was purposively designed for the sexual gratification of straight male gamers... Bayonetta was designed by a woman.

I've been getting into it with a white knight/social justice warrior type on my FB. I honestly can't decided who to despise the most. The self-proclaimed 'feminists' who clearly don't actually believe the salacious nonsense they espouse, or the smiling apologists who actually believe that women are still being oppressed in the West, even though it is obvious to everybody with more than half a brain that they're not.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Gamergate has another target: Depression Quest developer Zoe Quinn. They claim she uses corruption in video game journalism to get her game across, which has been shown to be false.
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Now sure, I did post it to draw our local gun crazies out of their bunkers, but I didn't guess it'd draw out our local epos at the same time.

My bad.
        Out of curiosity, what makes someone a "gun crazy?"
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          It might allow for civil discourse without the fear of gun play and killing.
          It's perfectly possible to engage in civil discourse without the fear of gun play and killing, with the knowledge that anyone around you could be carrying a gun.

I live in Montana. Everyone owns a gun, and probably a bunch of them carry. Never bothers me.

Edit: Perhaps this makes me a "gun crazy"...?

Comment

Funny thing is that the video, which is posted on the TYT channel, has more thumbs down than thumbs up. That's a first because TYT's audience is broadly liberal base. Just thought that was sort of interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Out of curiosity, what makes someone a "gun crazy?"
              Chewing on lead paints as a child, maybe.

What's your theory?

Comment

Chewing on lead paints as a child, maybe.

What's your theory?
                Uh...you used the phrase. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Edit: Maybe I should ask, how do you know someone is a "gun crazy?" What does that look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  It's perfectly possible to engage in civil discourse without the fear of gun play and killing, with the knowledge that anyone around you could be carrying a gun.

I live in Montana. Everyone owns a gun, and probably a bunch of them carry. Never bothers me.

Edit: Perhaps this makes me a "gun crazy"...?
                  Of course. I don't think I said it was impossible, but it might sometimes be wise to leave your guns at the door when playing poker in the Wild West or discussing computer games with immature gaming nerds.
                  Last edited by robrecht; 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Of course. I don't think I said it was impossible, but it might sometimes be wise to leave your guns at the door when playing poker or discussing computer games with immature nerds.
                    Only way a gun ban would keep her safe is if they had TSA, metal detectors and armed guards at the door. A mere gun ban won't stop someone intent on going on a shooting spree; in fact, if he knows there are no guns to stop him might even give him more motivation.

I can't believe these arguments have to even be made.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Only way a gun ban would keep her safe is if they had TSA, metal detectors and armed guards at the door. A mere gun ban won't stop someone intent on going on a shooting spree.
                      And that is the issue here. In light of the threats, she wanted security guards to check everybody coming in for weapons. But she could not arrange for that because of the Utah law.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        And that is the issue here. In light of the threats, she wanted security guards to check everybody coming in for weapons. But she could not arrange for that because of the Utah law.
                        I should have actually watched the video first.

Comment

Now sure, I did post it to draw our local gun crazies out of their bunkers...
                          You're talking about me again, aren't you?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

GUNS.jpg
                            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

It might allow for civil discourse without the fear of gun play and killing.
                              But you can bring a gun to the event and shoot people up even if there's a ban. In fact that's what happened with every school shooting in recent memory since carrying guns to school is generally illegal.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                But you can bring a gun to the event and shoot people up even if there's a ban. In fact that's what happened with every school shooting in recent memory since carrying guns to school is generally illegal.
                                Yup. Making it illegal to bring a gun somewhere doesn't seem to have dissuaded those who have shot a bunch of people.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment