Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Utah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah!

With apologies to Charles Dickens.
    “If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.”

It is becoming harder and harder to determine what is reality and what is parody.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I think she gains more out of this than she loses; she gets international headlines where she looks like a martyr as opposed to giving a speech in front of a few hundred people. Of course, I hate the idea of speech being chilled but this isn't a total loss for her.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Incidentally, if there's anybody else like me who had no idea what this is all about, here is a good primer: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-need-to-read/
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I always stage my mass shootings at places full of other people packing heat.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I always stage my mass shootings at places full of other people packing heat.
            That's the smart and effective way to do it, and why the majority of mass shootings happen at NRA meetings and popular gun ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I think she gains more out of this than she loses; she gets international headlines where she looks like a martyr as opposed to giving a speech in front of a few hundred people. Of course, I hate the idea of speech being chilled but this isn't a total loss for her.
              That's mighty white of ya, there, KG.

Comment

The victim card has possibly the highest currency.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  That's mighty white of ya, there, KG.
                  Eh?

I've been pretty firmly on her side in discussions on this elsewhere; but objectively speaking I see this as advantageous for her.

Comment

Incidentally, if there's anybody else like me who had no idea what this is all about, here is a good primer hopelessly biased account
                    You made an error.

Comment

Incidentally, if there's anybody else like me who had no idea what this is all about, here is a good primer: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-need-to-read/
                      (For the record, I'm not the world's biggest fan of Sarkeesian, but I wholly condemn the death threats)

That's one place you can go. Another place (more Pro-GamerGate, naturally) is the KnowYourMeme page, but I can't link there because there's NSFW stuff. In all reality, though, I would strongly advise- unless this sort of thing is relevant to you- against doing anything beyond a superficial examination. Not because it isn't a worthwhile topic (Eh... Personally, I think it's just "Video Games are Satanic/Violent" from when I was a kid all over again, except now it's "Video Games are Misogynist/Homophobic" and it's gone Full Tilt because the Gamers aren't taking it lying down this time), but because to get to the truth you have to get past a swirling maelstrom of fecal matter belonging to Social Justice Jihadi and Toxic Internet Trolls.

(Also, for those interested, Christina Sommers has a good video on the topic of "Are Video Games Sexist?")
                      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Someone on another site linked to an article that tried to claim that Sarkeesian faked her own death threats, Loose-Change style. One of the main "arguments" was that, while logged out, somebody on Twitter screencapped a series of threats against her, and that it must have been her screencapping her own posts because the last one was only 12 seconds ago (though it was just the last of many). And apparently another gamer is arguing that another blogger faked her own threats because she posts on Twitter using periods at the end of her sentence and so did the person threatening her. Some of these apologetics are just ridiculous.

Comment

Someone on another site linked to an article that tried to claim that Sarkeesian faked her own death threats, Loose-Change style. One of the main "arguments" was that, while logged out, somebody on Twitter screencapped a series of threats against her, and that it must have been her screencapping her own posts because the last one was only 12 seconds ago (though it was just the last of many). And apparently another gamer is arguing that another blogger faked her own threats because she posts on Twitter using periods at the end of her sentence and so did the person threatening her. Some of these apologetics are just ridiculous.
                          Well well, it seems like you've accepted the victim card currency.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            Well well, it seems like you've accepted the victim card currency.
                            Sometimes one person really is in the right.

Comment

Sometimes one person really is in the right.

I'll stop taking your judgments non-seriously when you don't post hopelessly biased accounts as 'a good primer'.

Comment