Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Utah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Just not this time.
    What, specifically, is she wrong about?

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes someone a "gun crazy?"
    They support the Second Amendment.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    What would a gun ban achieve?
    It would make those banning guns feel better.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Sometimes one person really is in the right.
    Just not this time.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    No, I've only asked you what you meant by it. I can't deny the existence of something if I don't know what it is. Your refusal to define a term you're using to dismiss people who disagree with you is frustrating.
    He thrives on that.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    For the purposes of this thread, if you can recognize there's such a thing as a gun crazy, you're not a gun crazy.
    It's a relative term, Jesse. I would think a gun crazy was somebody who had a whole house full of them, including piles of high capacity magazines, and did a lot of unsafe shooting.

Some liberals would think I'm a gun crazy because I own less than a dozen hand guns and am a certified range safety officer.

It's quite possible that YOU would think that was a "gun crazy", so, it's a fair question.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    The bar's about recognizing their existence. You've missed it once already.

Okay, twice.
    No, I've only asked you what you meant by it. I can't deny the existence of something if I don't know what it is. Your refusal to define a term you're using to dismiss people who disagree with you is frustrating.

Edit: So I guess if simply asking for clarification, repeatedly, makes me a "gun crazy," then cool. I'm a gun crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Nobody has said anything in this thread about "gun crazies" not existing, so your bar doesn't work.
    The bar's about recognizing their existence. You've missed it once already.

Who are you characterizing as "gun crazies?"
    Okay, twice.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    For the purposes of this thread, if you can recognize there's such a thing as a gun crazy, you're not a gun crazy.

Freaking amazing how many folks posting here can't pass that bar.

You'd think the whole site up and moved to Utah.
    Nobody has said anything in this thread about "gun crazies" not existing, so your bar doesn't work. Who are you characterizing as "gun crazies?"

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied

Well there is a lot of Mormon love on this site.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    Oh, I don't doubt some of the straining required (though I've seen one incident where it was claimed the victim and perp used the same insults on a regular basis; whether or not it's legit I have no idea). For the record, I don't think the death threats are faked (and this isn't Sarkeesian's first death threat received either). However, I'm curious if there's any evidence found that shows these are done by actual GamerGate advocates, and not just some sickos who get their engine running by sending death threats and watching the ensuing fireworks.
    Some of these people are well intentioned but others are members of 4chan and are just in it for the lols.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You're talking about me again, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    More difficult to get them past the requested metal detectors, however.
    Being it's Utah they could probably dig a couple up once they're inside so long as they don't screen for seer stones.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    But you can bring a gun to the event and shoot people up even if there's a ban. In fact that's what happened with every school shooting in recent memory since carrying guns to school is generally illegal.
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yup. Making it illegal to bring a gun somewhere doesn't seem to have dissuaded those who have shot a bunch of people.
    More difficult to get them past the requested metal detectors, however.

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Void
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Someone on another site linked to an article that tried to claim that Sarkeesian faked her own death threats, Loose-Change style. One of the main "arguments" was that, while logged out, somebody on Twitter screencapped a series of threats against her, and that it must have been her screencapping her own posts because the last one was only 12 seconds ago (though it was just the last of many). And apparently another gamer is arguing that another blogger faked her own threats because she posts on Twitter using periods at the end of her sentence and so did the person threatening her. Some of these apologetics are just ridiculous.
    Oh, I don't doubt some of the straining required (though I've seen one incident where it was claimed the victim and perp used the same insults on a regular basis; whether or not it's legit I have no idea). For the record, I don't think the death threats are faked (and this isn't Sarkeesian's first death threat received either). However, I'm curious if there's any evidence found that shows these are done by actual GamerGate advocates, and not just some sickos who get their engine running by sending death threats and watching the ensuing fireworks.
    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 10-17-2014, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment: